Murphy's Not Feeling Too Hot

Guest MurphysMom

Guest MurphysMom

This morning Murphy has been acting off. Of course my mind immediately jumps to bloat, even though I realize the most probable cause of all this happened last night, so it's not at all likely (but she came to work with me today just in case). She's been lethargic and panting, with her tail tucked between her legs. She tried to express excitement about breakfast and going outside to tinkle, but she fell short of how she usually acts. She only ate a little bit of her breakfast and then dry heaved for a bit and went to lie down. When I was petting her I could feel her shaking.

This is our fourth amazing month with her. When we got her she had a minor fracture in her front right paw. We made sure she rested, carried her up and down the stairs, and gave her rimadyl. She's been doing fantastic, she's been off the rimadyl for the past two months or so and hasn't exhibited any signs of pain. The x-rays ruled out osteosarcoma. Last night I called her to come up the stairs for bedtime; I heard her charge up the stairs, and then I heard a loud THUD, and then she came into the bedroom favoring her previously injured paw. Usually she's so methodical about the stairs so I was surprised that she seemed so crazy excited.

This morning I gave her the last half of the last rimadyl pill we have and called our vet. She suggested taking Murphy to work so I could keep an eye on her and rule out bloat (and worst case scenario the emergency vet clinic is only two minutes from my office). Murphy was pretty stoked to go for a car ride. The rimadyl seems to have helped and she's snoozing on her bed right now, she's not panting and her heart rate isn't as fast as it was this morning. She also didn't seem to favor the paw on our way in to work. I just feel awful that she feels awful! Of course I sit and think about what i could have done to prevent it, or if I caused it somehow... Murphy is my first dog as an adult, what if I did something wrong? Murphy is perfect and I want everything to be perfect for her.

Probably a good idea to restock the Rimadyl before the weekend starts.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest MurphysMom

I have some tramadol I could give Murphy, but she MUCH prefers the rimadyl. She thinks they're little cookies just for her! Hopefully I can meet up with our vet and get some before the weekend.

Don't worry- every dog will get sick or hurt at some point. It sucks to see them in pain, but it sounds like you are doing everything you can and I'm sure she will be back to her normal self soon!

Thank you for your encouraging words! I'm definitely a helicopter pet-mom... i can drive the people around me bonkers. If I ever have children they're probably doomed.

The thud must have taken some wind out of her sails. It's happened to my boys before but they typically rebound after a day. Just hit their chest hard on the stairs.

I might have missed this on previous posts, but why is she on these meds in the first place?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest MurphysMom

I might have missed this on previous posts, but why is she on these meds in the first place?

She had a minor fracture before we adopted her so the meds were for that!

I just took her outside of the office to see if she needed to tinkle and she screamed at me when I tried to carry her down the stairs, and she screamed outside a few times just while we walked to the grass. She did not tinkle :-/ the painkiller must already be wearing off, and my vet isn't answering her phone!

I would take her to the vet. My girl broke her leg at the track. When I got her she would still carry it at times. She got loose, the leash broke in my hand, and had an adventure. All 4 paws were bloody when we found her 10 minutes later. I know that we were lucky. I had her to the vet and she carried that paw for a while. So, I would err on the side of caution if for nothing else but peace of mind.

I will be thinking about you both!

Guest MurphysMom

Thank you, Dawnnziggy! My SIL picked up Murphy from my work and my sweet DH is taking her to the vet for x-rays and a look over. We'll get this leg issue taken care of, and get peace of mind!

Apparently now that Murphy is home she's happy and walking fine and eating and drinking and jumping on the couch... :huh

Glad to hear--guess she just needed a little more attention this week and perhaps you haven't spent your entire paycheck on her yet!

Guest MurphysMom

We didn't end up taking her to the vet, but I still feel like she's... off. She doesn't seem 100%. She has her goofy moments, she's still pooping and tinkling regularly, etc, but I've noticed when she's eating she makes the occasional gagging sound. She finishes her food though and never vomits anything up... no white bile, no evidence of bloat. After she eats she seems a little lethargic, but maybe that's my paranoia. Otherwise she seems fine and nothing else seems off. Maybe I'll convince DH to take her to the vet anyway...

If you still feel she is a little off, go ahead and take her in (if it won't bankrupt you :) ) Worth it for your peace of mind. My not a vet guess is she tweaked something in her neck or back when she did her thud on the stairs. Those things can show intermittent symptoms and take awhile to heal.