Moving With Hounds?

Guest Houston1219

Guest Houston1219

We are closing on a new house in 3 weeks! We are so excited to be moving out of our tiny condo and into a larger home with a yard. Houston is of course one of my main concerns. Our current home is the one Houston came home to from foster 3.5 years ago. It's a 700 sq ft townhouse condo with a small privacy-fenced patio. The new house (while only a mile away from our own) is a 1100 sq ft (plus finished basement) 1 and 1/2 story on a larger corner lot on a quiet dead-end street. The yard will not be fenced until a few weeks to a month after we move in. Thankfully, we have family with a fenced yard just three doors down from the new house who are happy to lend their fenced yard in the mean time. Our vet, park, work schedules, etc. will remain the same.

I'm worried about him acclimating to the new house, especially since the yard situation will not be ideal for likely a month after move-in. He is not overly skittish or sensitive, but knows our home and routine well, and is a bit stressed when staying in unfamiliar places overnight (i.e. vacations, visits with out of town family, etc.) I want the new house to feel like his home, and the transition to be as smooth as possible for him. I wish I could explain to him that once we are unpacked and the fence is put in, there is an XL dog door with his name on it, ready and waiting to be installed, so he can explore his big new (fenced!) yard whenever he wants to!

Has anyone had experience moving locally (with a hound) that they would like to share?

Thank you!

We moved to our new house with two hounds almost three years ago. I took them with me when I renovated the house. So they could get to know it. I walked them in the new neighbourhood before the actual move. When we came to live there they were comfortable with the area.

I did not wash the dogbeds when we moved into our new house because I wanted the homey scent to move with us. They adjusted real quick once all our things, furniture and so on were moved to the house. On the day of the actual move I let them with my parents. So when they came to their new home their food and water bowls, their beds, their stuffies where already there.

By the way, Andy had SA issues which suddenly stopped after the move. I have the feeling this the whole pack is relocating thing helped him to feel confident in his new environment. From one day to the others he could stay at home with Colin without whining, without accidents.

And we also got our fence a few weeks later. No problem.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Guest DarkHorse

We just moved less than two weeks ago. Honestly, Dexter is not handling it the best, though I do think that's compounded by us losing Araley less than three weeks prior to the move. Also, my MiL was supposed to stay with him and the cats during the move, but changed plans on us the day before, so they were all stuck in a room alone with only a couple of potty breaks for eight hours while we moved things in above them. That alone was quite stressful for them.

It doesn't seem to have helped that my husband took the week after the move off, plus we had a holiday in there. So for the first eleven days, both of us were home (I work from home) except when we had to go out for errands. He got really worked up when those happened, and wouldn't settle for a while. He's also been getting a lot more visitors as our families come by to help with moving things around inside the house.

When my husband went back to work, Dexter was fine the first day, but really worked up the second (yesterday). I think he understands that his daddy is not here for a full day. It's now the third day, and he's calm so far, but it's early. We do have a bed in the office with me, as well as one in the bedroom. He's been sleeping in the bedroom since we moved, which he hadn't done for at least three years prior to this.

He's been getting the most upset when boxes are moved around, constantly coming to check on us once we've settled down to unpack something. But he's generally restless, and exhibiting some behaviours we haven't seen from him in years. These include the sleeping in our room, needing someone to go out with him when he's turned out for potty in the backyard, doing zoomies at us, and trying to play with the cats. All of them do seem to indicate stress.

So from what we've learned, I'd recommend the following:

1) Keep your work schedule as much as possible - don't take more than a day or two off after the move unless you absolutely have to

2) Limit visitors to a similar frequency and length of visit as much as possible

3) Do errands first thing, and don't go out again after moving boxes around (at least for a few hours)

4) Do get him out of both houses during the move, and board overnight if you have to

5) Longer walks or more play-time in the family member's yard will help tire him out and keep him a little calmer

6) In general, try to keep things as similar as possible where you can

Take him on walks in his new neighborhood ahead of time. If you have an overlap between when you settle and when you get kicked out, spend a couple of nights reading for a few hours with him in the new house (bring his familar bed, comfort object/favorite toy, and treats), to normalize the space.

Then again, I did none of this when I moved with Henry and Leo, and we were fine, even though Leo is high anxiety.

I do agree to get him out of the house completely to someplace safe while you move--to huge a risk of someone leaving a door open and him slippping out, and crating him in that chaos would be stressful, even if he's normally ok with is crate.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I'd personally skip taking him to someone else's house with a yard (except maybe on the weekend?) and just walk him until you get your fence up.

That's a great way for him to get to know the new neighborhood, and you to meet some neighbors! A dog doesn't NEED a fenced in yard, and I know it's nice not to have to walk them, but it's actually probably a really great way to help with the transition as well. The extra exercise will chill him out. The alone time with you will be great for him.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

We moved last year also from a townhouse (no fenced area at all) to a larger house a mile away, and we also had a few weeks until the fence was installed at the new house. The fence was a non-issue; Sweep was used to walks and even now, more than a year later, she prefers to do her business on leash rather than in the yard. The yard is for zoomies, sunbathing, and the last pee of the night; otherwise, she expects walks! As far as adjusting otherwise, we brought her with us to the new place a couple of times before we officially moved in so she could sniff everything. Once we'd moved all our stuff in and brought her over for good, she found her bed right away and took a nap. No problems at all. I think the familiar smells of the furniture and her bedding (agree with advice above to not wash it beforehand) were comforting. Our cats responded the same way--they were totally freaked out on the drive over but once they got here and saw/smelled the stuff they were used to, they settled quickly. If you're really worried, see if you can get some DAP diffusers plugged in a couple of days before the move.

Congrats on your new home!

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

I moved two years ago. It didn't bother Annie but I'm retired and home most of the time so I assume I'm her touchstone for being calm in new situations. She actually loved taking our walks because of the new smells, new roads, new friends to make.

I didn't get a fence installed for six weeks after moving into the new place and I think it worked out for the best because I walked Annie to the very back of the yard to P&P and she continued doing that for poo even after the fence was put up. Maybe she would have done that anyway because dogs don't like to dirty near their homes but I like to think I helped encourage the habit.

Dogs take cues from us. Assume Houston will be fine and I bet he will be sooner rather than later.

Edited by Feisty49

We are in the process of moving. Our fence will be done before we move. However, we've been taking our hounds over to the house. Only one has had major anxiety about settling down in the house, but he loves the new yard to pieces. We will continue to acclimate them slowly, especially him. Once we move, we will get the furniture and boxes and dog beds situated prior to the dogs arriving.

Guest Houston1219

Your tips have all been so helpful! I truly didn't think about not washing the beds. That's a great idea! When he gets stressed or has to be without one of us overnight he always seems to find that person's dirty clothing and sleeps with it. When we figured this out we started putting a dirty t-shirt (slept in by the person not home that night) on Houston to sleep in in our absence :) maybe during the move I will stuff his crate full of his dad's stinky work clothes :rotfl that would save Houston the work of digging them out of the hamper!

I wonder if the same works in reverse. I could put a stuffy or something of his in the house (perk to knowing the seller!) and leave it in the house for a couple weeks to "absorb scent" from the new house? Similar to what they say about bringing home baby blankets from the hospital before bringing the new baby home. Maybe I'm nuts, but he really picks up on famiar smells.

I love hearing your experiences! Thank you to everyone. I would love to hear more, if anyone else cares to share :)

Guest Houston1219

Moving? With dogs? But dogs don't understand basic concepts like moving.... http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/11/dogs-dont-understand-basic-concepts.html

OMG I read this quite some time ago but now that I'm actually preparing for the move I was in tears laughing while reading it again. Her blunt honesty is hilarious, and makes me feel a bit better about not being perfectly confident regarding the whole ordeal :) Thank you for this, O_rooly!

Moving? With dogs? But dogs don't understand basic concepts like moving.... http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/11/dogs-dont-understand-basic-concepts.html

:lol There is going to go hours of my life, I can't stop laughing.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

OMG I read this quite some time ago but now that I'm actually preparing for the move I was in tears laughing while reading it again. Her blunt honesty is hilarious, and makes me feel a bit better about not being perfectly confident regarding the whole ordeal :) Thank you for this, O_rooly!

You're welcome :D

Best of luck with your move! It'll be worth it :)

Best of luck on your move and congrats on your new house!

When we bought our first house back in March, it was the 4th place we have lived with our guy Marvin since adopting him 3 years earlier. Each time, we have had him stay with his favorite Rover sitter or friend while we were moving everything. He loves exploring new spaces, particularly once he knows that he is going to stay there and that we'll be there too. We did have some changes in his separation anxiety each time we moved, which was interesting. Moving from original place #1, where we had to put up his baby gate before leaving or he would throw a fit to place #2, where when we did put up his gate, he shrieked like a banchee. Baby gate went back into effect as a 'safety blanket' in place #3. Place #4 (actual house), he could take or leave his baby gate - he actually has his own bedroom with multiple beds, toys, water, and nothing else he could possibly consume (e.g. cell phone chargers, headphones, recycling...). Having a yard for Marvin to zoom and go crazy once a day with a toy has greatly helped with his 'neediness' (I'm not sure I'd call it anxiety, but it could be mild anxiety).

I like the idea of having some of his stuff that still smells like him and his familiar surroundings there for him in the new place. They can always go into the washer once he's all settled in. Routines, if your guy is very particular, can only help as well.