Welcome Cocoa (Dc Chocolatedrop)!

I lost Beth with terrible suddenness two weeks ago today. But the great thing about being an experienced greyhound person is that people start telling you about available hounds -- and I knew I wanted to adopt quickly, ideally before the academic year starts in two weeks. So thanks to what feels like fated timing and the wonderful cooperation of a number of people, this weekend I adopted Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop) through Rescued Racers in St. Louis -- she was still in Memphis waiting for a foster spot but got transported up to MO for me to meet her.

Cocoa (her original kennel name, not so original but I was asked not to change it) is two years old and just retired in June. She belongs to Wanda and Dennis Curry, who love their dogs so much and want them to go to people who will keep in touch and give them the opportunity to reunite. I have become friends with them since winning the naming rights to DC Doc Myles last summer at the GEM gathering in Abilene. Fortunately they live only about three hours from me so a reunion is definitely in the works! Cocoa's mom Lorraine (DC Dont Rainonme) is retired as their pet. And her dad is Flupascrackerbox!!! (Yes, I've been in touch with Gazehund about that.)

Cocoa is cat safe, and really affectionate and outgoing to people (a Beth trait I wanted in my next dog). She seems very smart and like a good, good girl. The odd thing is that she is actually NOT black as she appears now -- she is a very dark brindle, but was shaved at the track in FL and her coat is still growing in so the brindle doesn't presently show! I do have puppy pictures showing the coloring she should regain eventually, and her mom is that color too. She also unfortunately needed (or at least got) a happy tail amputation when she was spayed a couple of weeks ago. :( She has the waggiest tail I've ever seen on a greyhound, so I totally see how she injured it or would have in the future.

So, welcome Cocoa! Such a strange mix of excitement and happiness and grief and exhaustion I'm feeling. . . .

Not a black dog. Really. It's so weird.

cocoa%201_zpsz7klcagn.jpg

My friends had a surprise waiting when we got back from Missouri!!

Cocoa%202_zpsx1c4gkj3.jpg

Cocoa%203_zpssckrpsjg.jpg

She really likes this....

Cocoa%20grass_zpskuv8b0sx.jpg

Glamor shot....

Cocoa%20closeup_zpss7it6ft6.jpg

One of her puppy pics, with her sister Eve. So presumably what she'll look like in some months!

Cocoa%20puppy_zpslfiiavgn.jpg

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

That is one gorgeous dog! And aren't your friends the best--love the signs! Congrats to you, welcome home to Cocoa, and I'm still tearing up about Beth.

Wishing you and Cocoa many happy years together!

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

:confetti:confetti:confetti

Awesome!

(Though I think she may be black *now.* If she was brindle, I think her skin would also be brindle and would show through a shaved coat. Sometimes they do change quite a bit from their puppy coat.)

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Hmmm... the upper part of her tail, above where it was shaved for surgery and the hair is thicker, shows brindle. Her mom is such a dark brindle I do think she'll look like that eventually. Nothing against black dogs, but I hope she is brindle!

Mom Lorraine, and identical pup Cocoa:

Cocoa%20mom_zpssrz7wfy6.jpg

Cocoa%20puppy%202_zps3xop2qwo.jpg

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Welcome home Cocoa!

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

:yay Welcome home from StLRR, Cocoa! Welcome home!

She's gorgeous, whatever color she is. Her color does remind me of Paddy's brother, UCME Razorback, dark dark brindle and gorgeous.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Thanks for the heads up on adopting a CrackerCrumb Anne! Cocoa is gorgeous and she carries some of her daddy's traits. Most noteable so far is that high energy level. Cracks is by far the highest energy greyhound I have ever met. Welcome to the Dave the Dog family. Best wishes for a long and happy life for you and Cocoa!

Congratulations on your lovely new girl! :confetti

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

She's got an awesome personality. Never a moment's shyness or being unsure about her new surroundings. Straight to throwing toys around and running around the house like a lunatic! :)

She's going to be a fun one for sure.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05