Soloxine Replacement

My 11 year old, Ziggy, is due for a check up tomorrow and I need to refill his thyroid medication. He has always taken Soloxine but since that is currently not available I will need to order a substitute. I have heard from many that generic thyroid supplements, for both greyhounds and people, are not ideal but it doesn't seem like I have a choice now.

So what do you recommend? if you have a hound on thyroid medication, what brand are you using?

Oh, and just in case you're interested - here's a picture of the old boy on the left! :beatheart

DSCI0534_zpsa6e11316.jpg

Measure wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you would not take money.

Did you check with Omaha Vaccine? Other sites say they're out of Soloxine, but the Omaha Vaccine page doesn't indicate that they have a supply problem. Maybe they're pulling a bait-and-switch, with a last minute attempt at a substitution, but it would be worth checking with them.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Hmm, interesting! I'll have to check out Omaha Vaccine. I think I will call them before my appointment to see if they have it in stock before I have my vet write me the prescription. I would love to stay with Soloxine since it has been working all these years. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Thanks!

Measure wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you would not take money.

When we could no longer get Soloxine from our distributor, I did a little research, and it seems like some of the vet experts recommend Thyro-Tabs made by Lloyd as the next best option. That's what I've started carrying at the clinic, and so far the patients I've switched over seem to be doing well on it.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I too had to switch with one of my dogs. Thyroxine seemed to work fine for him.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Well, I called Omaha Vaccine and they do not have Soloxine. My vet is carrying ThyroKare so that's what we're going with for now.

Thanks for the replies!