Are Raw Eggs Hard On Dogs Digestive Systems?

Guest Memphsmom

Guest Memphsmom

Well dang, my mom needed a dozen eggs today so I got them out of the refrigerator and set them on the counter for her. We got to talking and decided to run to the store real quick for a few more things she needed. While I was at the store my DH called to ask me if I had fed the boys the dozen on purpose, lol he came home and found a half eaten egg carton and a few egg shells on the floor. In my mind I can see exactly what happened, Memphis pulls the carton off the counter and starts munching down, then my pig/ Rhodesian ridgeback robs him of his prize and heads for the living room ( his favorite place to hide his treats) such bad doggies! I just don't know if I should be worried about that much egg, these two are master thieves!

Edited by Memphsmom

I feed about a dozen per week to my guy...never had any digestive issues with raw eggs in any dog I have owned. One of the best sources of protein out there :) Not sure how many eggs each of your pups got, they might have a bit of digestive upset, but nothing I would be too worried about.

I wouldn't worry. Much worse things they could have eaten in large quantities. ;)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Memphsmom

Thanks for the reassurance, I am less worried about Bruce the ridgeback, he is a garbage disposal. He once ate a whole lemon cake that was cooling on the counter. Memphis on the other hand seems to suffer more when he gets into things. I guess eggs are better then some of the stuff they have gotten. lol I swear they work well together when it comes to the planning and execution of their little heists.

Thanks for the reassurance, I am less worried about Bruce the ridgeback, he is a garbage disposal. He once ate a whole lemon cake that was cooling on the counter.

My borzoi did the same thing with a lemon cake I made for my DH's birthday. Silly tall dogs! :rolleyes: Hope your guys are doing okay.

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

One of my pups eat frozen poop so I wouldn't worry about eggs :colgate

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest Memphsmom

When you bring up frozen poop it made me realize that one of my pup's favorite treats is frozen chicken poop ( I keep a few chickens), so eggs should be no problem The only bad side effects was a stinky nights sleep as Bruce sleeps next to my side of the bed and had the worst gas I may have ever had to endure. I slept that night with a pillow over my head. :rofl

• 3 weeks later...

I regularly give Phoebe raw eggs. We have four chickens and sometimes they peck a hole in one of their eggs. Phoebe gets those (same day as they're laid). In fact she will take a whole egg out of my hand and eat the entire thing, shell and all. My husband was horrified the first time he saw her do that. :lol

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest Lillypad

Raw eggs are great. Start out slow.. too many, too soon may cause some diarrhea/loose bowel. But otherwise eggs are natures best packaged food. BTW dogs do not suffer cholesterol problems... like we humans.. LOL

My dogs only eat eggs scrambled, with a bit of cheese (and maybe ham) added.

However, my holistic vet really prefers them to eat them raw. And shells will just give them a bit of calcium if they can absorb it.

Hope everyone handled the feast well! Any updates?