Mouth Care Since There's Very Few Teeth

New old boy Percy only has about 8 teeth. All are in the front. His medical history is a mystery. Vet says remaining teeth are OK although one lower canine is expected to fall out on its own.

His breath isn't the best some days. He can't chew turkey necks and his kibble gets lightly moistened.

Would a squirt of something like PetzLife help? He's not to keen on a rub down with a dental wipe.

054_zpsipegetx1.jpg

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Ducky, would he eat some parsley? That can be a nice breath freshener. I love Percy!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Ducky-didn't want to be the one to bring it up but, looking at the pics it looks like there's more than one tooth that's diseased. Are they advising against a prophy? Most vets wouldn't just wait for teeth to fall out on their own. Perhaps he's not a candidate for a full dental?

I had offered to pay for a dental before he came here since the adoption group's vet had lots of greyhound experience, but she said to let it come out on it's own. My vet agreed. What you see in the pictures is all he's got. Doesn't bother him at all. His full panel labs came back perfect. It's a miracle he didn't have heartworms or parasites.

When he was playing with a light-color stuffie I did notice some mottled blood stains on it afterward.

To help him gain weight he gets 1.5 cups of moistened kibble for breakfast, 1 cup for lunch and 1.5 cups for dinner plus a nice dollop of canned Taste of the Wild beef. He'd probably eat more if we offered it.

Percy may eventually let me swipe his mouth with a dental wipe. He needed to continue ear drops and ear cleaning when he got here but he wouldn't let me touch his head initially. While he still doesn't care for the ear drops he will let me touch all over his head.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Water additive? We tried and liked HealthyMouth per a couple of the vet recommendations we saw here, but haven't kept up with it. :blush It does turn the water apple green, but that didn't seem to bother Sweep.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

We've used the Oratene Water Additive for a few years now. It's not a magic bullet, but there is a noticeable difference with regular use. We finally found some bully sticks that don't bother Rocket's stomach, so between the additive and the chewing, the vet says he has the best greyhound teeth they've ever seen in their office.

http://smile.amazon.com/Oratene-Veterinarian-Drinking-Water-Additive/dp/B00BU9O3TO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1438829983&sr=8-2&keywords=water+additive

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Have you tried colloidal silver? Ryder has the worst breath until I got a tip about putting a shot glass size in with his meals (it could be used to moisten his kibble just try not to dilute it with more water, etc.) One in the morning, one at night. In three days, stinky gone. Gets rid of all the gross bacteria in their system, etc. What it does for the remaining teeth, I dunno, but it worked for Ry and his breath! I've used Healthy Mouth with very poor results to be honest. I think it works best immediately after a dental, and they don't seem to want to drink it so I worry about dehydration.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Does colloidal silver have a taste? Where do you purchase it?

tiny hada siggy.png

Sure, Petzlife spray would work for him and it will help his

remaining toofies too. It has a great smell and they seem to

like the taste.

Sweet old bugger...

:)

I agree. You can get the gel or the spray. Spray is easy if he'll tolerate that.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Does colloidal silver have a taste? Where do you purchase it?

Slightly metallic, but picky Kasey and vacuum Ryder readily eat it when mixed with their food. Health food stores is the best bet. 10ppm is what you are looking for..

It's also my go to for injuries that are small and bleeding, cuts on feet, etc. I've used it on my own road rash too. Will never go without it in my house ever again!

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015