Logan Ate Cooked Chicken Bone

All,

So on our walk this morning, went down to a picnic area got the dogs out of the car -- and Logan immediately grabbed a chicken bone on the ground by a garbage can. I tried to get him to drop it and only succeeded in scaring him into swallowing it without chewing well (though he did crunch it a couple times, did not swallow it whole. I think it was pretty soft, but it was also pretty large, maybe a shoulder bone?

So my question is, what to do about it? I expect if I took him to an e-vet they would just say wait to see if he has any symptoms, and he seems fine right now (ate it about an hour ago). I figured it would be good for him to move around so we finished the walk and he was fine there (1.3 miles). He did not eat his breakfast this morning (pretty common for him) and I took the bowl away figuring it would be better for him to fast a few hours. He did just drink some water. Is there anything I should feed him to maybe lubricate the pathway?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

Snow has found chicken bones on the street multiple times during a walk. I give her bread, usually one slice. This sounds disgusting but I check her poop and the bones always seem to pass. she will find a chicken bone under a fence or wherever don't know how she knows they are there.

nothing to do now except watch for the bones to traverse the body ... possibly over the next 2 days. Watch for darkening color of poop (in the event that sharp edges on the bones may have punctured something), and if that happens, contact your vet for help.

Meanwhile, please keep the worrying to a dull roar. My hounds have eaten entire carcasses out of the garbage can (I now debone in the sink and immediately put debris in outside trash can) with no issues.

Thanks for the encouragement. Logan seems to be fine, roaching on the couch now, was throwing my shoes around earlier. I'll keep an eye on his output, but it is normally dark and hard (i.e. "good" poop) so may be difficult to see anything.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

I'd owe a mortgage in vet bills if we had to get checked out for every chicken bone Marvin has eaten off the ground on walks. I watch like a hawk, and he would just magically find them. Everywhere. We've never had any problems of any sort from it, and the problem no longer exists where we have lived the past few years, but just keep tabs on him. We feel your 'pain' with a hound who likes to eat things you would greatly prefer he wouldn't...

Just a follow-up, its been 36 hours now and two large poops, nothing odd in either, so I think Logan is ok :-)

Good news, :)

In the future, bread is almost always a good idea for something sharp, can't hurt and may cushion as it passes through.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.