Side Effects Of Prednisone

Guest kar

snow was put on prednisone for a rash on her feet, no fur, extremely red. Since on it she has been peeing in the house and unfortunately on my bed. She has also been a bit lethargic. Talked to the vet and he cut her down from 10 mg twice a day to 10 mg once a day. Has anyone else experienced this with their dog on prednisone. she sleeps on my bed and this is the second time I have changed everything today. The second time I was only gone for four hours and she jumped on the bed last night and I woke up to wet everything.

Greyhounds need less Pred than the standard dosing amount. I don't remember what it is, but someone will.

You might also ask about switching to Medrol - it does the same job but has milder side effects. I used it with my old whippet who already had some "need to go now or I will pee right here" issues, and the Medrol did not make things worse. Good luck!

thanks, I don't know why he did not think of Medrol instead. I don't mind the peeing on the floor but I guess she will have to sleep on her dog bed tonight. She will not like it.

Poor baby--a rash and getting kicked out of bed. :( How long will she be on it? You can expect her to be very hungry on it too, likely, and may need to feed her extra small meals.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Ziggy gets red, sore feet every late summer. I have been watching him for signs of this but I haven't seen it yet. He gets a 20mg. pred for three days. Then he goes on Temaril-P. He gets one tablet on Mon., Wed., Fri., and Sun. He gets one half tablet on Tue., Thur., and Sat. I also have a pan I keep outside. It is filled with one cup of Epsom Salts mixed with warm water. After being outside, each of his feet get dipped in the water. This treatment works for him. We also have a spray we use occasionally. Since he is on Prednisone for such a short time, he doesn't have any trouble. Maybe you could ask your vet about this. If nothing else, please try the Epsom Salts and water solution. It is soothing to Ziggy.

what is Temaril-P? I will try the Epsom salts. Vet does not seem to know why her feet are so red.

She is supposed to be on 1/2 tab (10 mg) for another week.

Prednisone: They drink a lot and therefore have to pee a lot. The effect diminishes somewhat after 5-10 days at the same dose. When starting pred, I make them go out @ every 2 hours during the day and set my alarm for no more than 6 hours overnight. Waterproof mattress cover might be your friend for awhile.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

picked up a waterproof cover yesterday. she slept on her dog bed last night. Brought it in the bedroom. she actually seemed to like it. I missed her cuddling though. I love her so much!

Ziggy gets red, sore feet every late summer. I have been watching him for signs of this but I haven't seen it yet. He gets a 20mg. pred for three days. Then he goes on Temaril-P. He gets one tablet on Mon., Wed., Fri., and Sun. He gets one half tablet on Tue., Thur., and Sat. I also have a pan I keep outside. It is filled with one cup of Epsom Salts mixed with warm water. After being outside, each of his feet get dipped in the water. This treatment works for him. We also have a spray we use occasionally. Since he is on Prednisone for such a short time, he doesn't have any trouble. Maybe you could ask your vet about this. If nothing else, please try the Epsom Salts and water solution. It is soothing to Ziggy.

Have you checked for food or environmental allergies? Both can be a common cause.

Eta: Sorry, quoted the wrong person, I meant this for Kar.

Edited by PatricksMom

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Ziggy is allergic to something in the grass this time of year. The Temeril-P is an allergy pill I think. I looked it up on the internet. It is an antihisimine with prednisone for the relief of itching. He takes it great and helps him to not lick his feet and make them worse. I watch him with eagle eyes this time of year to start his meds on time. The epsom salts bath helps tremendously. If that is what is wrong with Snow, the effects go away soon after the first frost. I know that idea is depressing, but it lasts a long time. The good thing is that it doesn't happen again until late July or early August.

I'm late to this and you seem to be covering all the bases, but having a dog on pred for 7 years for allergies and I've learned a thing or two. The peeing is a result of increased thirst and therefore increased intake. You'll have to take her out to eliminate much more regularly. Kasey had opposite side effects to pred (he did not drink excessively however he would oddly retain whatever water he did have).

While he was a tanker truck and could hold his bladder without a problem, on the days he would get pred and would have to hold it for 8 hours till I got home, (I actually withheld water at times and he only got a sip or two before I left for work), he would pee a steady pee for minutes. Not kidding, I'd stand there while he just went and went and went. So you know, 10mg is an appropriate dosage and make sure to gradually come off it.

If it's a rash on the feet, she might be saved by Benadryl instead as it might likely be an allergy to grass.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Muscle wasting, panting, pacing polyuria (excessive urination), polydipsia (excessive drinking), diabetes, thrombosis, pyoderma, iatrogenic hyperadrenocorticism (cushings)--are a few of the side effects. Of course some side effects are contingent on dose.

What tbhounds says. Notice she said those are only "a few" of the side effects. Muscle wasting is a biggie with long term use. I will never forget how Aggie just wasted a way a little each day until there was nothing left. And yes they have to pee all the time-they can't help it. Vets love to use it because it is highly effective initially at relieving symptoms. It is a very potent immunosuppresent though and must be used with discretion or there can be serious consequences. I piss off a lot of vets because I don't readily use it. I much prefer for them to heal naturally without it if possible and often refuse it. Yeah it might take an extra couple of weeks but it is worth it to me not to have to assault their immune systems with it. Not only did it melt Aggie away in front of my eyes but it is a fact that the last 2 hounds I DID agree to administer it to- because of the seriousness of their conditions- both died in less than 24 hours. One got a 40mg dose; one got a 20 mg dose. I do not believe it was for sure the pred-they had other serious problems which is the only reason I agreed to administer it in the first place- but it is a fact. Twice I used it as appropriate and both dogs died-one in about 5 hours and 1 in around 12 hours. So I naturally try to avoid it. I do admit though it does have its place. I believe in some cases it can buy time for certain candidates who otherwise would be gone but it is far from innocuous and is a serious drug imo that should not be taken casually (or dispensed like dog treats).

Our dog was on it for about 5 seconds for a reactive lymph node on his face. About 4 hours after his first dose (20mg twice a day), he started gorging himself on water, and 30 minutes after that, we were taking him out for pee breaks every 2 hours. Now this is a boy who held his pee for 22 hours when he first came to us because he was too shy to go in front of us on a leash. Every 2 hours is rough, especially at night. Especially at night.

Redbo also started getting anxious and pacing even when he didn't have to pee. It made ME nervous so I called the vet and told her I was stopping the prednisone. For me, unless it's something he absolutely needs because he's miserable, I'm not a fan.

popos_zpsgq0lbak1.png

Predinsone while yes has multiple side effects can also be a lifesaver-literally. Prednisone has treated numerous conditions -immune mediated disease and cancer. It is a drug that one can develop a love hate relationship with. Pred was key in allowing me 9 more months with my heartdog.

Like so many drugs pred does comes hand in hand with side effects but, there are valid reasons it's dispensed and used not only in the veterinary field but, also with people.

the vet cut her dose in half. She is not drinking or urinating as much. She goes back for a recheck friday. If i feel she should come off before, because she is not acting right, I will call t hem again. I realy do think it is an allergy.

Predinsone while yes has multiple side effects can also be a lifesaver-literally. Prednisone has treated numerous conditions -immune mediated disease and cancer. It is a drug that one can develop a love hate relationship with. Pred was key in allowing me 9 more months with my heartdog.

Like so many drugs pred does comes hand in hand with side effects but, there are valid reasons it's dispensed and used not only in the veterinary field but, also with people.

This is also true, predinsone has some nasty side effects and I wouldn't use it unless there weren't better options, but it gave us 4 weeks of good quality time with Murphy, and he loved those 4 weeks.