Beth (B For Beth) 3.19.2006-8.28.2015

PrairieProf

I still can't believe I'm posting this . . . my beautiful, perfect, sweet Beth, the creature around whom my entire life was organized, is suddenly gone.

She was perfectly fine Sunday, made me dizzy doing wild leash zoomies in the morning and leaped around more on our last walk of the evening. On our walk Monday morning she started fine then midday through she started dragging badly and collapsed. At the vet she seemed to recover and acted normally at times but showed signs of heart problems when stressed. Her liver values were off a bit but a chest xray didn't show anything my vet particularly noticed; he sent out info to a veterinary cardiologist. Tuesday morning early she lost color again and just died. And I was not there, although she LOVED everyone at the vet where she boarded too, and her very favorite tech was among those with her. She said she told Beth I loved her. Thank God she did not die alone.

We are not doing any further investigation but my vet things ruptured hemangiosarcoma or a pulmonary embolism are the likely possibilities for sudden death in a seemingly healthy and vigorous dog.

I am out of town right now writing on a terrible hotel computer and can't even begin to think of how to talk about what Beth meant to me, or to her legions of fans in my area and online as well. She had (has) a literal Facebook fan club that has people who never even met her as members. I adopted her when she was two; her seventh Gotcha Day would be in less than a month. She was my first (and only) greyhound and totally changed my life -- now much of my socializing involves greyhound friends and activities, increasingly in the racing world as well as adoption. And much of my daily life was about taking her for four walks a day and never leaving her for more than five hours or so and petting her and snuggling her and gazing at her and enjoying her mellow but goofy behavior. My Bebecita, my Babaganoush.

I am terrified of getting back home from my trip and facing a house and life without her. I've already begun searching for my next hound, though, as I don't want to be without a greyhound for a minute longer than I have to be. But nobody will be as beautiful as Beth. I'll see if I can post some pictures later today -- I can't face it right now.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anne, I gasped seeing Beth's name here. I am so very sorry for your loss. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I am so sorry for your sudden loss. Beth has always been one of my GT favorites.

Run free, Beth. :f_pink

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I'm so sorry. Godspeed, Beth.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Your girl knew you loved her. And perhaps by crossing over while you were out of town, she thought that better than to have you watch her go. She was indeed a very special girl. May you find your new greyhound soon so that your heart healing can begin.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Oh gosh my heart just sank when I seen this. I am so sorry. Do find another hound to give love to asap. Beth would want that. I know when my first houndie crossed over I COULDN"T STAND the thought even of not having a houndie to love and discovered a wonderful guy named Goldie waiting for me to take home and into my heart within 48 hours. My deepest sympathy. I know from expereince it seems to hurt more when it is so sudden and unexpected- you don't even have time to try and 'fix' anything and they are gone. Also know Beth will be with you always and the love you two have will still only grow stronger. My heart is breaking for you. Hang on. Try and find another hound quick- they will understand and help you grieve properly. Some are particularly empathetic. Beth may have already picked one out for you. :grouphug:f_pink:f_red:f_pink

Oh I'm so very sorry. I know the heartache of a sudden loss and not being there. She knew you loved her so much. Godspeed Beth.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I am so sorry for your sudden loss of Beth. It is so heart retching!

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....