Weird Episode Last Night

Guest Lygracilux

Guest Lygracilux

Though I dont think this has anything to do with what happened last night, I will start by saying that Fusion got another cut on his leg that he started licking which he now has turned a big patch of raw skin on his leg (time to muzzle again while we're gone)

Anyways, I cleaned it with some Epsom salt water last night, and put some gold bond medicated powered on it, this has done wonders on helping keep his feet dry and promote healing.

He was fine all day, and settled right down and went to sleep. At about 3am I heard him start panting and get up and walk around his bed area. Then he left our room and went into the living room. I got up to see what he was doing, and to let him out pee if he had to go. I went to let him out down the stairs and thats when I saw him like...not being able to really use his back leg(s) He went down the stairs okay, but as soon as he was outside he was limping around, all wanky like.

He then went up the stairs and almost fell. I tried to get him to go back into our room for bed, but he went into the living room and tried hopping on the couch, and then fell onto the couch. I had DH pick him up and carry him into the room.

At this point he was panting more than I have ever seen him pant. It was so loud, and like this for an hour. He was just standing there panting uncontrollably. I felt his cut leg to see if it was inflamed or red or if it hurt when I touched it, but he was fine. I honestly couldnt even tell if it was the leg he was favoring.

I gave him some benedryl to try and calm him down, which did the trick after about 25 mins. DH, got him to lay down also cause he wouldnt on his own. He finally fell asleep over an hour after this whole ordeal happened.

This morning, I could tell he was a little stiff, and tired but was his normal self. No more limping, he loped around the yard and did his normal pees and poos, ate breakfast, and hoped on the couch and has been there the rest of the day.

No idea what this could have been, any ideas? It really freaked me out, but maybe it was something as simple as a leg cramp, pinched nerve, leg fell asleep kind of thing? Should I be concerned?

Guest OPointyDog

I have had similar sporadic incidents with our Zoe - she seems unable to use her leg for short periods of time, and pants and her leg shakes. And she can't put weight on it. She's in physical therapy for some other issues, so I asked her therapist about it, and she said that it's most likely a muscle cramp. If you've ever had a charley horse cramp in your calf - it's something like that. They are very painful but not dangerous.

In fact, Zoe had a bad episode yesterday - I think dehydration and electrolyte imbalance can contribute to muscle cramps, and these can be worse in hot weather, so I wondered if that was at play. I've tried to keep her cool and added extra water to her food.

My best guess would be to ask about it with your vet the next time you are in the office - unless it happens again, and then I would get it checked out.

Good luck and I'm glad Fusion is feeling better today.

Guest Lygracilux

I have had similar sporadic incidents with our Zoe - she seems unable to use her leg for short periods of time, and pants and her leg shakes. And she can't put weight on it. She's in physical therapy for some other issues, so I asked her therapist about it, and she said that it's most likely a muscle cramp. If you've ever had a charley horse cramp in your calf - it's something like that. They are very painful but not dangerous.

In fact, Zoe had a bad episode yesterday - I think dehydration and electrolyte imbalance can contribute to muscle cramps, and these can be worse in hot weather, so I wondered if that was at play. I've tried to keep her cool and added extra water to her food.

My best guess would be to ask about it with your vet the next time you are in the office - unless it happens again, and then I would get it checked out.

Good luck and I'm glad Fusion is feeling better today.

yeah thats exactly what happened. He wasnt yelping or anything but the legs were shaking, couldnt put weight on them, and oh god-the panting.

I figured it was something like a charlie horse or what not, but I will keep an eye on him and if it happens continuously I will make a vet appointment. Thank you for easing my mind.

Guest Lygracilux

Did he lick the Gold Bond Powder - they should be only used externally.

Could have for a second? But I scold him if he licks at bedtime, so unless he snuck one while I was sleeping...I dont think so. Even then, I dont put much on there at all. Just enough to keep it dry, and I rub it into the skin really good so there is hardly a residue. So if he did lick, it wouldnt be like hes ingesting much if any at all. However now that you said something, as a precaution-I wont be putting the powder on anymore.

Our girl used to scream in the night. It was terrifying! I jumped out of bed and I could see the leg she was favoring. I touched it and it was very tight. I started rubbing her leg and she settled down but had to sleep on me, yes I said on me, the rest of the night. She only had one more which I dealt with the same way. She hasn't had a cramp since then. It was in the winter so it wasn't that she was too hot.