Aston Left One Year Ago This Morning, At 9:20A.m.

o_rooly

It has been a year as of 9:20a.m. today since you passed away, and what a year it has been. It feels like it was a long time ago, and no time at all. I am usually okay, I see people out walking their dogs, but those dogs are just dogs. Today, a woman strode past me on-campus with her petite dark-brindle greyhound alongside her, and I felt it in my chest. You were different. You were our giant cat-dog, and oh, how we loved you. You were my first dog, my heartbound project in loving and caring, and eventually convalescent caring, and inevitably, my hard lesson in letting go.
I wish I would let myself just grieve and miss you, but I'll keep keeping busy instead.

Aston, aka Coldwater Barzee, aka Dog
January 19, 2003 - July 27, 2014

c6d8c17c-454a-4d77-8f56-62c1764d7a10_zps

We all loved Aston, even those of us who never met him. :beatheart:beatheart:beatheart:beatheart:beatheart

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

:wub:

Big hugs as you remember your sweetheart.

Rest well, Aston.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Unforgettable boy. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I was so lucky to run into both of you, we were both at the vet for out boys, Carl and Aston. I never thought they would be gone so quickly. Aston was so handsome, quietly regal. How are you doing?

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

A beautiful remembrance post. Aston is so handsome and love the earsies. He wil be with you always. Love is energy-the most powerful force in the universe actually. It cannot therefore be destroyed by death or anything else. :grouphug:f_white

"The love is bigger than the pain. I know your heart is breaking terribly. But I promise you that your pain will subside over time, and our love, our love not only will survive, it will be stronger. Someday the horrible pain will be a memory of deep sadness but our love will still be vibrant and alive. Love is always bigger than pain. When you are hurting, reach for the love and I promise you will feel better."-Sent from a bridge angel

"For love is as strong as death....
Many waters cannot quench love, nor can the floods drown it.
If a man would give for love all the wealth of his house, it would be utterly despised."

-Song of Solomon 8:6-7

"Some animals...leave a trail of glory behind them.
They give their spirit to the place where they have lived,
and remain forever a part of the rocks and streams and the wind and sky."

- Marguerite Henry

:grouphug Anniversaries are hard. I have one coming up next month.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Thank you so much, everyone. :grouphug:beatheart

I was so lucky to run into both of you, we were both at the vet for out boys, Carl and Aston. I never thought they would be gone so quickly. Aston was so handsome, quietly regal. How are you doing?

Carl was such a quiet, sweet boy. :beatheart It's so strange to think that he's gone, too. and time just keeps wearing on. :( how are you? how are your girls?

I've been doing a lot of crying. With all that transpired in the past year, especially immediately after Aston's death, I never let myself face the loss, I had so many other things to distract myself with. I'm just starting to reach a point where "but I just have to do xxxx" isn't cutting it anymore, and it hits me out of nowhere -- while driving to work (if I'm lucky), or when I am out shopping for housewares or something else that is unrelated... even at work, ugh.

I saw my therapist yesterday, and we talked about me not letting myself grieve. among other life regrets, I am fighting with regret about not picking up on Aston's condition sooner so that I perhaps could have treated with physical therapy first. I told myself that I was going to do everything I could for him once I found out what was happening, and once the scale shifted too far toward diminishing returns on treatment and teetering quality of life, I would not waver in releasing him. I followed through with both of those :( but I still wonder what I could have done differently.

My therapist gently communicated that he wishes for me the peace that will come when I cease to hope for a better past.
but for now, I'll let myself cry.