Does This Look Like A Fractured Tooth?

See the V shape that runs down Henry's molar? A piece of (what I thought was) dental scale fell off about a month ago. Now, I'm starting to wonder if this tooth is fractured. The tooth is no longer smooth- it's uneven coming up from each side of the depression.

25fk6r4.jpg

29pxo3s.jpg

I don't know what I'm talking aboht, but it looks like the enamel is missing maybe? And his guns there are pretty red and irritated. I'd get him checked out.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Looks like a fracture to me, but photos can be difficult. If it is, it's not into the pulp cavity (which is good) but it may extend under the gum line (bad). I'd take him in to your vet to check and see if it is a fracture or not and what they recommend.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Looks like a slab fracture, although a fairly mild one, relatively speaking. Slab fractures are when they shear a flat piece off the outside of the tooth. Sounds like the 'scale' that fell off a month ago may have been part of the tooth. It may be ok if the pulp cavity isn't exposed. A vet dentist would probably recommend addressing it, but I tend to be more conservative, and a lot of dogs don't experience any obvious problems from these. If there is any discomfort or infection, he would probably need a root canal or extraction.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Thanks guys. It doesn't seem to cause him any obvious pain or discomfort. Also, I had just brushed his teeth and was messing with that tooth, which probably explains why his gums look so red in the pictures. They usually do not!

Just Googled 'slab fracture.' This is exactly what it looked like when it came off. I'm a little optimistic that the pet insurance will pay something toward the dental because of this tooth fracture.

http://dogknobit.com/2011/11/21/show-and-tell-a-slab-fracture-and-bloat/

Edited by a_daerr

Do you guys think this is okay to be dealt with by my regular vet? Or should I consult with the specialty clinic? Also... I'm a bit unfamiliar with these types of dental issues. Do they usually just remove the tooth on a slab fracture? Can they reconstruct it someway?

I'd start with your regular vet and see what they recommend. Does the specialty clinic have a board certified vet dentist on staff? If the tooth is causing problems, the least expensive way to address it would be extraction. If you're interested in considering other options like a root canal +/- crown, you'd need to see a dentist, but that can get very expensive, and whether he's even a candidate for those options depends on the status of the tooth.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Definite slab fracture. They're recommending a dental with extraction and Sanos sealants. He's not in dire need of the cleaning, but since he's already going under, might as well. Vet positively gushed about how clean his teeth looked 'for a greyhound.'