Misty ('stop Sharp') 21 June 2001 - 29 June 2015

Guest AndyK

Guest AndyK
On 21 June 2001, Misty (racing name 'Stop Sharp') was born in Ireland. I was living in England and had just moved areas. Thoughts of a dog were far from my mind.
In August 2005, myself and (then) partner bought a house. Cutting a long story short, we really wanted a dog. After researching breeds, we decided on a greyhound.
And, after meeting some, we decided we wanted two :)
Later that month we went to meet a pair of greyhounds the local rescue place had - one handsome black boy called Spot, and one beautiful blue lady called Misty.
We instantly fell in love and the next month they moved in with us.
Little did I know at that point how important dogs would become to me and how much I'd learn.
On 29 June 2015, aged 14, my angel fell asleep for the last time. I will love her forever.
aged12.jpg
As many greys are after they've retired, Misty was full of energy and drive. She also proved herself to be the more savvy of the two early on, being the first to realise the delights of the sofa - and then the first to master the stairs, finding the even bigger delight of our bed. And of the two, her farts were by far the most toxic!
Whilst Spot (RIP - went to the Bridge in 2010) was the more boisterous, 'boyish', outgoing one of the two, Misty, whilst loving and affectionate, always had a more laid-back, gentle feel to her.
I always felt she had a wise look in her eyes, as if she knew more about this world than we ever could. She loved staring out to sea, especially in the evening, looking at the lights of the boats.
And she was always a beautiful girl who turned heads - both those of humans and of male dogs, who flocked to her throughout her life! (She would just casually ignore them!).
She wasn't always ladylike though:
roach.jpg
In her early life, Misty's gentle side was balanced out by a keen chase and grab instinct. This included such ballsy moves as grabbing a cat off a wall, and even - I kid you not - grabbing a hedgehog from the pavemen,t and being incredibly annoyed when I took it off her (both her and hedgehog survived unscathed).
With humans though, she was incredibly placid and gentle, making her a firm favourite with children (she was always a favourite with girls). Nothing ever really fazed her (apart from fireworks) - she always just rolled with the punches of life, even in her later years with illness.
Having her and Spot around helped us and my Mum cope with the loss of my father from MND in 2008.
She was probably the most stubborn dog I've ever met though - almost completely untrainable and had a cast iron determination to do as she pleased, which never wore off. She was savvy enough to realise that her (then) regular daytime walk was usually extended by turning a different corner for a longer one at weekends. Thus she would just stand there refusing to move on the shorter ones at exactly the right section. I'd then have to drag her off, much to bemused looks of the public.
She loved lying down in the sun:
sunshine.jpg
Misty was many things to me - one of which I consider to be a life saver. I've suffered from bipolar depression all my life and in 2009, before I got on to some meds that worked well, had the most intense 'mixed' phase of my life ('mixed' being rock bottom depression with the intense, full on energy of a 'high'). Things were so intensely bad in my mind that I was regularly and seriously thinking of ending my life, despite having a great partner, family and friends.
One morning I headed off to work and was set on just throwing myself under a train. But I looked at Misty and Spot and realised I couldn't. I couldn't break my promise and leave them. In a way I almost resented them for a while because a huge part of me wanted life to be over. But those two angels stopped me doing it.
She always looked wise and deep in thought:
wise.jpg
There were many simple things I loved about Misty and will miss forever - for some reason the inside of her right ear smelled amazing; the smooth feel of her bald belly; the softness of her fur; how she'd roll around asking for more when I'd go 'omnomononomonom' on her head; her gentleness and the tender way she displayed love. As she got older I loved seeing the different colours of her fur - blue, grey, silver and white - always a stunning, beautiful girl.
She was a very chilled out girl who loved the sun:
hat.jpg
Misty proved herself many times to be a very, very, tough cookie - even to the end. Arthritis first hit her in winter when she was aged 10 - almost over night she could hardly move. After Metacam treatment started, three days later she 'bounced back' and was fine again.
At aged 11, she had to have an operation on her eye. Although the operation went well, a couple of days later she seemed to have some weird reaction to the sedation and pretty much didn't eat or drink for three days. Around this time she was sleeping and was barely breathing. Naturally we thought she was on her way out.
Well, after a day of eating and drinking various stuff just so she'd have something (apple juice, potato chips, you name it) suddenly she decided she was fine again and the next day was back to normal (much to my relief). That was Misty all over - resilient, hardcore and never fazed.
love.jpg
About 18months ago my (now) partner and I moved to the New Forest. Misty enjoyed the new sights and smells and learned the wonders of eating horse poo, which apparently tastes amazing and is a real delicacy if you're a greyhound (I haven't tried it). And encountered a house up close:
horsey.jpg
Oh, and also found the delights of rabbit warrens:
wabbit.jpg
Late last year, following some concerns I had, our vet diagnosed her with kidney disease (this was at age 13). I guess at this point I started to realise she was 'properly' old and that things like this were going to affect her.
Ironically, at least symptom wise, the kidney issues never progressed hugely. She would need to get up 1-2 times in the night for a wee but as I do too that wasn't a problem!
Earlier this year I noticed her back legs where giving her more trouble, and that she was walking much slower. This had been building up for a while, I guess due to the arthritis, but got much worse in a short period of time. The vet diagnosed degenerative nerve issues in the legs and we increased the Tramadol and Metacam.
This worked well and she still enjoyed her little walks.
Misty was always a slim dog but she had lost a lot of weight. She was being fussy with her food so in agreement with the vet I pretty much let her have what she wanted in her last few months - she became a real connoisseur of cat food, the little madam!
With hindsight and due to me being with her all day every day, I hadn't noticed how much the weight loss was increasing (I can see now in photos but at the time didn't).
We were away in the middle of nowhere for her 14th birthday and at around midnight she started doing a very laboured panting/wheezing and frankly we thought she was dying.
We took her to an emergency vet who said it was a heart issue and gave us some diuretics to keep the fluid moving and mot building up.
On the Monday we got back home and took her to our usual vet who said it wasn't heart problems but was almost definitely a chest tumour (tying in with the huge weight loss) and said other than continuing with the diuretics there was nothing we could do.
By the Wednesday she was hardly eating so we arranged for her to be put to sleep at home on the Friday.
And then - in true Misty fashion - on the Thursday she started eating again and demanded a walk! So we cancelled the Friday appointment.
Sadly that weekend she got worse and I was up with her each night until around 4am as she couldn't stop panting and wheezing. In tandem with that she was really struggling to stand or even raise her head.
On the last night, around 3 in the morning of the Monday, I looked at her and realised it was 'time' - she wasn't happy, she was exhausted, she was now suffering.
On the Monday morning we got straight on the phone to our vets and arranged for Misty to be put to sleep at home at 11am.
Making this decision was both easy (as it was the 'right' thing to do) and horribly difficult (feeling like I was ending the life of another).
We spent the last couple of hours with Misty laid in the garden. When the vet came we took her in and laid her down with her head on me. We did things quickly as I knew otherwise I would be like "stop, I can't do this". I told Misty I loved her her and would never forget her, over and over. The process was quick and two breaths later, my angel had gone.
We had our other two hounds around so they would know she had 'gone'. They seemed to understand though they didn't really react as such.
Misty was taken to a lovely animal crematorium that day and individually cremated with some flowers we picked from our garden and we collected her ashes that day. Thankfully it was beautiful and sunny all day. We spent some time wandering around the memorial garden there and it was comforting to see all the plaques people had left for their much-loved dogs and cats. Whilst it didn't take the pain of our loss away, it did reassure that it's something huge numbers of others go through each year.
I haven't yet scattered Misty's ashes - I know the locations it will be - but right now I'm not ready to do so, nor am I in a rush. I also have a clipping of her fur, and will be getting a resin pendant made with a flower in it and a pattern made from the fur. I also now have a big canvas print of a beautiful photo my wife took of me and Misty in her final week which now hangs in my home office:
wall.jpg
I miss my angel so much. Some days I think of her all the time, some not - grief is a strange thing. We're lucky in that we have two other dogs - I can't imagine how painful and empty it must feel going from just one dog to none.
I (and Misty) were extremely fortunate though - 14 years is a superb age for any dog, especially a greyhound. I feel privileged to have had her in my life for nearly a decade, and to have seen her through most stages of her life, and to have cared for her in her later years. And especially to have been there holding her, as I promised her I would, when her time came.
There will always be a hole in my heart now she's gone. I miss everything about her but I know she had a truly great life, and a long one of that. That helps take some of the sadness away. She helped me through the tough times, made me laugh, made me cry, made me mad with her stubbornness, but most of all made me feel pure love.
Sleep well my angel, I shall always miss you, love you and cherish you. Run free.

moo2.jpg

:f_white What a lovely tribute to your girl.

Stay strong, knowing you did the right thing by her. And be proud, because you gave her a wonderful life :)

Run free, Misty :gh_run2

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

You've written a heartwarming tribute to a beautiful dog. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, special girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am very sorry Andy. Misty was mad always will be a beautiful girl. The love signs through with what you've written. You were both lucky to have each other.

Run free Misty, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

So sorry for your loss. You wrote the most perfect eulogy and Misty is now running free at the Bridge. With heart dogs it is more painful to part, yet their loving memories can heal us so much sooner. They send us little signs too. There is no blame, only compassion and respect for a life well lived and a love well-shared.

156881371.jpg

Perhaps Misty has already, amongst all the others that people on Greytalk have lost, met my heart dog 'Angel' who went to the Bridge in 2009...

small.jpg

Guest PiagetsMom

Your photos and words were beautiful, as was your most special girl, Misty. I'm so very sorry for your loss :grouphug

Edited by PiagetsMom

The most beautiful, heartfelt tribute to a friend I have ever read. How well you knew Misty and she knew you. Fourteen is indeed a superb age to reach, she *knew* she had a purpose to be with you. Dogs are good that way. My heart goes out to you on the loss of your most beautiful, special girl. Oh, those memories are sweet. :grouphug

Godspeed Misty. :f_pink

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Thank you for sharing Misty's story with us. You wrote a beautiful tribute to your lovely girl. I a so very sorry for your loss.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Such a special lady. Somehow, the world manages to put us together with that "special one."

You were both blessed to have had each other for a good long time.

My sincerest condolences.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

May your heart be filled with wonderful memories of Misty. Close your eyes and you'll smell that right ear perfume again.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Beautiful words and pictures for your beautiful girl who I know will be missed as much as she was loved. :grouphug

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Andy, thank you for sharing Misty with us on GT, your tribute was beautiful, my deepest sympathy to you on her loss.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

That was a beautiful tribute. I am so sorry for the loss of your gorgeous girl.

Run free, Misty. :f_pink

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

This is such a lovely tribute to a life well lived and well loved.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross