Aggressive Toward People. :-(

Guest Merlinda

Guest Merlinda

Hello all ~

I’ve been hesitant to come to the forum to discuss my difficulties with Raylan as sometimes really strong opinions can be quite hurtful when it comes to a really difficult situation; however, it is important that I explore all avenues and maybe someone out there has a really great solution or suggestion. Please also note this will be a lengthy post not only because I am wordy gal, but because I want to give as many details as possible.

Raylan is a 3.5 year old retired racer. He left the Arizona track with a broken leg in September/October of 2014. I became his new mommy the week of Thanksgiving. He spent several weeks in a cast and several week always on the lead even in fenced areas. Raylan is my first Greyhound, and I came into this relationship well educated and prepared for the introduction from racing life to being a pet and living in a home. I understood clearly that there was going to an adjustment. I’ll also tell you that with the exception of what I am going to describe below my boy is perfect. I kid you not. He doesn’t get into cupboards, destroy anything of mine cat included, dig holes, counter surf, he doesn’t soil in the house, or pull on his leash. He has taken pretty well to obedience training and will patiently wait for his food and to come out of the kennel until I release him. He loves and adores me with all his heart, and I love and adore him. He is a good boy. Why am I hear you ask? Well here is the very big drawback. He is aggressive toward people not only in barking and growling, but he will bite them. Sit back, because here’s the tale.

It started in February with a bite/growl to my friend Kevin as he walked by him while he was laying in his bed. We chocked that up to being new and space issues. Later he then snarled and snapped at my son as he was leaning over us both to kiss me goodbye while I was in bed. We chocked that up to space issues, and kicked Raylan out of the bed. He was no longer allowed to sleep with me. He snapped once at the neighbor when we were standing outside, but that was almost non-consequential. It was quick and no one really knew what had happened. My adoption agency advised that whenever people come over that they ignore Raylan. I did just that. I instructed my guests to not look at, touch, or talk to him. It seemed to work, but then he decided to walk over to my girlfriend and bit her twice while she was putting on her socks. We were actually headed out on a trip, and when we came back as she walked out of the bathroom he approached her barking aggressively. I rent out a room in my house, and at this point he has growled at the renter several times even though he has been here since day one. There have been other times, he’s growled and snapped at my son and a friend of his. (My son is an adult and does not live with me) Early June I had foot surgery, and when I came home from the hospital he completely freaked out. He barked, growled, and tried to bite the woman that was there to help me. Due to his history he was muzzled, so thankfully, no one was hurt. It became such a problem, that I called the adoption agency. They were so nice to come get him and take care of him for a few weeks while I recovered. He came home and everything got back to normal, and he has continued to be aggressive. He has since bitten the renter and he tried to bite a friend of mine that has actually taken care of him in his home and is someone he knows. So the short of the story is that since February his aggression has gotten significantly worse, and almost everyone that comes into the house will, at some point, know he is displeased with them.

Some things to note. After several months, I packed up his kennel. He didn’t seem to use it and/or need it. After the “home from the hospital” event, I thought maybe he had turned the entire house (which is small) into his space. I then brought the kennel back out and have been having him sleep in his home. I was hoping that would help. It has not. I got a Thunder Shirt hoping that would help. That has not. I’ve had one women walk him to try and bond, but they came home and he tried to bite her. Of course, he is now muzzled at all times unless it is just him and I. Another thing to note, is he has never broken the skin, but has bit hard enough to leave a bruise. He has also never bitten me, tried to bite me, nor do I believe he ever would. He’s only growled at me once when he had a raw hide. He was quite convincing that I would under no circumstance be taking his raw hide. I didn’t push the envelope, so no more rawhide, and have since learned they are bad for him anyway. I have respectfully established that I am the leader of the pack, and he must earn what he wants by being respectful back. He also participated in 12 weeks of obedience school without incident.

My next step is tomorrow we are going to the vet to have bloodwork that will include an extended thyroid test. The part that will more than likely raise the hackles of some is that I really believe I cannot be the mommy of a people aggressive dog. Whether right or wrong, it is the one thing that I felt (in advance) I could not manage. The dilemma is that I did make a commitment not only to the adoption agency, but to the dog. I am also quite attached to him. I do love him so. I am almost to the end of all I can do, so here I am coming to you for suggestions. Sadly, if he cannot stop being aggressive toward people I am not the right mommy for him. The only thing that I ask when you respond is not to debate whether or not I should keep him. This is been a very tough, painful, and I believe an individual conversation/discussion. I do need suggestion though, because if we can get him to feel comfortable again, then maybe we have a chance.

Thank you for your time. I know this is long, so your patience is appreciated.

I had a great picture of him, but couldn't figure out how to attach.

Edited by Merlinda

I'm sorry you're going through this. I will NOT get into the discussion of whether or not you should keep him because that's a personal decision every dog owner needs to make for herself. I don't have any advice per say because I haven't gone through it. I will ask if you've contacted your adoption group and/or your vet. They may be able to help you and give you some advice and training tips.

Also, don't be afraid to muzzle when you're out walking and/or when someone comes into the house.

My gut tells me your boy is protecting you.

Definitely get a full vet workup. If there is a chemical / bloodwork issue, or a pain issue, your vet can help remedy it.

He sounds pretty perfect except for this one problem, and if it can't be resolved, then he is not a fit for your home. There is no shame in that. Sometimes a hound just doesn't work out, and that's what your adoption group is there for. As much as none of us want to return a hound or see returns happen, they are a real fact of life, and are a protective measure for you and for the hound.

I'm sure some others who have dealt with similar circumstances will chime in. I hope it all works out for you and Raylan.

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Please seek out a qualified behaviorist who uses reward based/positive reinforcement techniques. You need a professional to observe and advise. Good luck!

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I will ask first if you believe these are guarding behaviors, aggressive behaviors, or play behaviors? Biting and snapping can be any or all of these. They can also be a response to continuing pain and/or anxiety. How did he react to the other dogs and people in his obedience class? How does he react to complete strangers, and strange dogs? How did he act when he was staying in this other person's home? Did he only bite/snap when he was returned to your home? Does he only react when people are in the airspace above or near him?

Have your vet *really* evaluate him for continuing pain, especially in his broken leg, and the surrounding structures.

Greyhounds can and do play differently than other breeds, and often it is mistaken for aggressive behavior. There is a lot of biting and snapping and growling and barking. You may benefit from asking someone in the adoption group who is more familiar with greyhounds to observe him for another opinion. One of mine is quite snappy and bitey when she plays, and she has bitten both my husband and I since she also has really bad bite inhibition. She just playing, but it's *very* rough and all teeth. And also completely our fault because we *know* what sets her off.

It's unusual for a greyhound to be that much of a guard dog, but not unheard of. Again, a secondary observer will be helpful.

Tomorrow at your appointment ask your vet for a referral for a certified veterinary behaviorist. Make sure this person uses positive reinforcement techniques. Having them be familiar with greyhounds is a plus. I'm sorry I don't have any experience with any here in the Portland/Vancouver area, but perhaps someone else will. You need an experienced observer to get to the bottom of *why* he is expressing himself this way.

Depending on the results of Raylan's testing, you may also consider a referral for a canine neurologist. I can highly recommend Dr Robert Kroll at VCA-Northwest Vets in Clackamas. Sometimes anti-anxiety meds can help in these situations. Or there may be more going on medically than a general vet might recognize. Continuing that, also ask about a DAP collar for him to wear, and diffusers for the house. If this is fear-based aggression, that may help. (You can search the forum for other natural and prescription anxiety remedies.)

Bottom line is, no matter what the cause, sometimes a dog is not the right fit for every home. It's a hard and personal decision, and no one but you can determine if you can keep this dog in under your care.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

It sounds like there might be too much stimulation in your house for this particular greyhound. He had the injury and it seems like after his cast was off he started being anxious and watching the space and trying to control it. it sounds like you have a renter, son, walkers, and other guests and it just might be too much too soon for him to be exposed to so many people and experiences. It also sounds like he spent time at someone else's house for awhile which likely unsettled him even more. To me, it sounds like he has his guard up all the time, again - just my opinion. He hasn't had a chance to relax and trust.

I might suggest calming the whole house down and not having people over for awhile - let him get used to his space in his own time. Spend time walking and forming a bond - walk with a purpose and keep a firm grip on the leash. Stop a few times during the walk and let him do his business but otherwise, act like there is a purpose to the walk and talk to him while walking.

Pick up some books on the signals that dogs give - you might be surprised to know that he is probably letting you know that he is uncomfortable but, the signals are going unseen. This is not a slight, many people cannot read these signals.

Guest Merlinda

I surely do not know what I am doing on this site, and I surely don't know how to delete a post once I figured out I messed it up. :flip

First, I would like to thank you all for your feedback. I very much appreciate your time and understanding.

I do believe that Raylan is acting out of aggression. You can tell by the bark and body mannerisms. Though, I would not at all be surprised if the various situations were not all the same cause and there was a nip I didn't mention that I thought was play. The lady putting on her socks may have been play, but other than that....it's definitely aggression. I've had him play bark and use his mouth for play. He's learned to play with his toys instead when he's excited. He has reacted well to other dogs and he reacted well to everyone in the obedience class. He was observed by the adoption people when they came to get him the day I came home from the hospital, and in that instance, he was afraid. Other times it has been when people were in his "airspace" and other times he's gone out of his way. I think perhaps there may be more than one thing happening. It's hard to say.

I did already obtain the name of a certified veterinarian behaviorist. That avenue is out of my reach.

As far as too much in his space, I hadn't thought of that before. I know it sounds like a lot of activity, but please remember I've had him for 8 months now and what you are hearing about is ALL the activity. Besides the renter who has been here the entire time, I maybe have someone over twice in a month. After the surgery though that has increased, because I've needed help. We've got the walking down good as we already walk and walk with a purpose we do, :-)

I wish there was a magic wand ,,,, where's the wand when you need one.

If he's food motivated at all, find a *really* yummy treat and have everyone just carry them around and give them to him when he's acting calm. If he's laying on his bed and someone walks by, and he doesn't react, he gets a treat. If someone walks in the door he gets a treat. If he will sit or down, have him him do the command before people come in the door. Treat and release after they enter and he accepts it.

You can use this for your renter, your son, for anyone who is around the house. Some people have put a bowl of treats near the dog's bed and hand one out every time they walk by. Basically he gets rewarded for everything when he's not reacting. You are attempting to desensitize him to having people around the same way you would desensitize him to loud noises or car rides or being alone. Introduce them a bit at a time and reward good behavior.

You might benefit from reading "The Other End of the Leash" by.... someone who's name I've just forgotten. Anyway - good book and will help you try and figure out his body language and how to help him.

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

How does he react when he meets people on your walks and you stop and talk to them? And what do you do at home to show him that you are not pleased with his behaviour towards your guests?

When one of my dogs does something that I will not tolerate, I look him straight in the eyes, show my teeth and growl at him. Then I walk in a straight line towards him and he has to move back. I do this until he shows calming signals.

No, I am not a Cesar Millan fan. I worked with resocializing livestock guard hounds before I had my first grey. I learned to use body language to communicate.

Ask your renter to help you. Keep your dog muzzled and when he approaches the renter, move between them. Do not look at Raylan. Just block him. He has to learn that it is your decision who enters your house. When he tries to snap at your helper, force him to move backwards (Raylan, not the renter) by blocking him with your body and moving directly towards him in a fast pace. Do not look at him, look over him. This way he has to focus his attention to you.

This may not sound nice, but you show him that you are in charge to deal with the situation. In fact you show that you take the responsibility away from him. While doing that you allow Raylan to relax, because you show him tbat you are perfectly capable of keeping him safe.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Agree with greysmom, MaryJane and Turbotaina. Hopefully his veterinary visit will eliminate a medical condition.

Yes, tiny bits of meat or other rare (for him) high value treats that can be gently dropped on the floor near him (without sudden swinging arm movements). Progress to guests feeding treats by hand when he's ready for closer contact but without a human leaning over him.

Another thought: Some medications have unintended side effects that increase aggressive behavior in otherwise calm dogs.

Just curious to understand more about Raylan's obedience training, and if certain exercises were more difficult than others for him?

Greyhounds are late to mature from puppyhood. Age 3 is just beginning their true maturity. Typically, healthy hounds who are not feeling body pain or fear are fairly friendly or tolerant of people and playful at times. That said, understanding dogs' body language and respecting their space is important. Recently retired Greyhounds are not accustomed to sharing their resting space. An injured dog would feel even more hypersensitive about being stepped on by people walking too closely to his/her bed. Dogs often feel threatened by humans leaning over dogs, reaching over a dog's head to pet them, direct eye contact, etc.

Considering Raylan's specific situations listed, the one that is surprising is when he went out of his way to address your friend coming out of the bathroom. I wonder if Raylan might have been surprised having forgotten a visitor was in the house(?).

Below are a few helpful links beginning with dogs' calming signals (early signs of dogs' discomfort). Keep in mind that Greyhounds' ears naturally lie flat against their heads, tails often hang relaxed and low. Some Greyhounds lift their lips showing teeth to "smile" when feeling joyful (often mistaken for aggression), or chatter their teeth when happy.

Canine Calming Signals: http://www.greenacreskennel.com/dog-behavior-and-training/canine-calming-signals-and-stress

Canine Body Language: https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/canine-body-language

Patricia McConnell is the author of The Other End of the Leash (mentioned by greysmom): www.patriciamcconnell.com

Edited by 3greytjoys

I'm so sorry you're going through this.

And as painful as it can be, I agree. There is no shame in returning a hound who simply is not working out.

I thought I was prepared when I got my first Greyhound--and I tell you, without the support of my GT friends and some terrific people, I would never have gotten a SECOND Greyhound after George. No one had any way of knowing before I adopted him that he would have SA and never ending urinary issues.

I did stick with him, and I'm glad for that, but I sigh with relief every day when I go home to my current hound. When George passed away, I told the group I was working with that my new dog, which I was prepared to wait for as long as needed, MUST be OK alone. MUST have a bladder the size of Texas. And of course be cat safe. It was pure luck that one of their devoted volunteers saw through a spooky little boy that had been cowering in their kennel for nine months and asked me to give him a try.

My point is this: you've tried. It seems like you've tried really hard. And clearly it's not working too well. If nothing pops on the medical exam, no reasonable person is going to flame you for returning him and asking for a different dog.

Whatever you do, good luck!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Bless you for standing up for your boy! he sounds like a great guy to me! I am prejuduced though because my soul mate Slim was very much like your boy-possibly even worse. Slim was so aggressive to people that some were even afraid to walk up onto my porch. I really did not have any trouble managing him. I always just muzzled him WHENEVER he was going to be in public. I also used 2 leashes and collars because I knew if he ever got loose he would probably attack somebody and then wind up getting shot by LE. So I couldn't take ANY chance on him ever escaping. He was safe behind my 5' chain link fence though as he wouldn't jump out. Now to be honest if he needed to-if I needed his help and called to him he would have probably come through a window even. He was a BIG momma's boy- the best! and I admit I loved it. But it honestly never caused any big issues. Yes it could have- there was some 'close calls' when I first got him before I realized frankly how dangerous he was- but after I did and then took appropriate measures like the muzzle and not trusting him around others it was no problem. Slim would also attack other dogs. He actually targeted/profiled people. He despised anyone on a bicycle; would always attack anyone that had any kind of a stick-like an old woman with a cane; generally wanted to attack anyone speaking a different language etc. But Slim was my soul mate; the best thing ever in my life other than Jesus. Yes he would even bite me and actually broke my husbands tooth biting him. But he was not mean. He was just a warrior dog that you didn't trifle with. We knew that he would give his own life in an instant to protect us-we had seen his protectiveness. Slim was ALL about protecting his family- he loved us more than life itself. We also knew we never had to worry about anybody breaking in our home as long as Slim was around-he proved that too. One day he repelled an attempted burglary while I was gone. Wow- the blood on the inside of the door the had tried to get in! where he was lunging and throwing himself at the door to get them; the other interior door he bent metal and pulverized so he could chase them after he drove them off-- With me and Slim- his aggression was not an issue because it was just him- and I have never loved anyone as much as I still love him. He was the best when he was here in body and is still the best as he guides and protects me from the other side.

Stay in touch with Greytalk please. We just love greyhounds and want to help them have happy lives. This is prolly the best greyhound resource there is. Welcome!

Your boy sounds very special to me. He is only the 2nd other greyhound I am aware of that is like that. The other is Robin who was owned by another Greytalker named fsugrad.

Don't worry about muzzling. I had another hound Minny who had to be muzzled 24/7 because he had a brain issue and it doesn't bother them at all. Minny even played and could carry a ball wearing his muzzle. I doubt it can be trained away in your boy-sounds like its just his personality to me like Slim was.

Edited by racindog

I surely do not know what I am doing on this site, and I surely don't know how to delete a post once I figured out I messed it up. :flip

First, I would like to thank you all for your feedback. I very much appreciate your time and understanding.

I do believe that Raylan is acting out of aggression. You can tell by the bark and body mannerisms. Though, I would not at all be surprised if the various situations were not all the same cause and there was a nip I didn't mention that I thought was play. The lady putting on her socks may have been play, but other than that....it's definitely aggression. I've had him play bark and use his mouth for play. He's learned to play with his toys instead when he's excited. He has reacted well to other dogs and he reacted well to everyone in the obedience class. He was observed by the adoption people when they came to get him the day I came home from the hospital, and in that instance, he was afraid. Other times it has been when people were in his "airspace" and other times he's gone out of his way. I think perhaps there may be more than one thing happening. It's hard to say.

I did already obtain the name of a certified veterinarian behaviorist. That avenue is out of my reach.

As far as too much in his space, I hadn't thought of that before. I know it sounds like a lot of activity, but please remember I've had him for 8 months now and what you are hearing about is ALL the activity. Besides the renter who has been here the entire time, I maybe have someone over twice in a month. After the surgery though that has increased, because I've needed help. We've got the walking down good as we already walk and walk with a purpose we do, :-)

I wish there was a magic wand ,,,, where's the wand when you need one.

You mentioned that you use having him play and use his mouth -- maybe stop that and redirect it.

From what you have said, it doesn't seem that he is biting to hurt rather to stop actions but, it is still a bite and there have been too many. I'm surprised that Animal Control has not yet been notified and that is a concern. Please be aware that towns usually define what is a bite maximum before they will take a dog. You really might want to talk to the adoption group and talk about this concern as there might be a situation where you need to get him out of the house to keep animal control from taking him. You also want to have the contact information for a group called the Lexus Project - they take on cases of dogs that have been taken or have issues and are "in the system".

If you want to work with the dog and attempt to get this under control, it will probably take about a year to work through this. I arrive at that number because it has been going on at least 6 months and working to correct an activity may take at least twice as long as it took for the dog to develop it (my opinion).

As I noted in my other post, you have to be aware of the signals your dog is giving AND CATCH HIM BEFORE HE ESCALATES. Once you see a signal, remove him from the activity that is causing it (or have the person stop doing that activity)... pretty simple but, you have to see the signals first. If the dog is not calm enough to be moved out of the situation, then the dog has escalated and you need to catch the dog's signals earlier.

Once you are able to see the signals, you will be able to understand what is setting him off in the actions of others and correct how people approach him. Some dogs will get upset if there are too many people around or if people are walking too fast by them. Each dog will have their own triggers for escalation and that is what you need to recognize.

...I did already obtain the name of a certified veterinarian behaviorist. That avenue is out of my reach. ...

See if you can find a non-vet behaviorist (i.e., an animal behaviorist who is not a veterinarian - might be less expensive and again, find one who uses positive reinforcement/force-free methods; get thee far, far away from anyone who uses language such as dominance, alpha, etc.). If that is also not possible for you, you're in a bit of a quandary. What we perceive as aggression is pretty much always rooted in a fear of some sort (unless there's a neurological issue going on). Your dog sounds an awful lot like my friend's (now sadly deceased) greyhound. She was a fear-biter and sometimes quite sneaky about it. My friend (who is on this board and will perhaps give you her experiences) did A LOT of work with her dog and also used some anti-anxiety meds, if I recall correctly. If you are committed to working through this with your dog, I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to have someone well versed in animal behavior to assist you. None of us here on the internet can see your dog's body language or really know what's going on, so it's pretty hard to give appropriate advice and, of course, we cannot see your interactions and responses to his behavior.

Best of luck to you, whatever your decision may be :goodluck

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

You might benefit from reading "The Other End of the Leash" by.... someone who's name I've just forgotten. Anyway - good book and will help you try and figure out his body language and how to help him.

by Patricia McConnell Great book!

Guest Merlinda

Thank you all so much for your kindness.

I very much value your support and your insight.

We got Raylan's blood drawn today, and I have to say I am so hoping he has a thyroid issue. Based on all I've read and him not having any other sysmptoms, I think thyroid is unlikely. I hope though ... good lord I've never hoped a dog have an illness before. It is just that for those dogs affected normalizing the thyroid solves the issue.

Here's what I would like to know and I don't have a real good sense of and it is probably becasue this behavior is so rare for a greyhound, but if I invest in a trainer that works with behavioral issues and is the positive reinforcment (I'm not into alpha dominance crap either), can the behavior be corrected. Is it possible for us to get to a place where I can trust him to not bite and he can interact with people? Has anyone heard of that happening?

You see, I rely in renting out one of my rooms and the current renter (who would not at all be helpful and/or interested in working with Raylan) is leaving. I have to re-rent the room. If it were just Raylan and I, I would keep him in a heartbeat as I have people over so little that he could be muzzled and kenneled. I just don't know that I would have any luck renting the room if Raylan cannot get comfortable with people in our home. Muzzle or no muzzle I'm not sure who would want to rent under those conditions. Damn, I'm sorry for all the personal TMI post .... it's just one of those things that complicates the issue.

Please note, he has not displayed this behavior outside the home and/or with dogs. Not to date anyway; however, I've been laid up for awhile and we haven't interacted with too many people outside the house for awhile or since the behavior has increased. Today's outing to the vet went off without indicent.

Guest PiagetsMom

I wish I had some advice for you, and I commend you for reaching out to the greyhound community for insight. I worked with a veterinary behaviorist with my bridge girl, Maya. I can't honestly say that it eliminated our behavior (we were working on a completely different behavioral problem than you), but she did give me some good tools to work with. And, it was work, every single day. I think there are those who would have probably returned Maya - I chose not to, but that is not to say that sometimes you are just not the right person or home for a particular dog, and they would absolutely benefit from someone who is.

Hopefully, someone here will be able to answer your questions or offer some knowledgeable advice for you and Raylan. :grouphug

If he's "just" anxious, and or needs a bit more time to figure things out, it could be possible.

You also have to decide if *you* are willing and able to put in the time and energy to address the issue. It's not a slap if you decide you're not. It's a complicated thing, and even many very dog-savvy people would choose not to - for whatever reason.

It's also a matter of resources (as you have discovered) and of having a flexible physical set-up in your home. Can you isloate him, as necessary? Do you have room for a crate to be up permanently somewhere? Do you feel confident you can work with him, even if he becomes snappy with you? Can you wait to find a renter who understands what's going on and, if they aren't able to actively help, will at least not hinder your process while you work with your dog?

As far as trusting him, I don't think anyone here who has not observed him can say one way or the other. I can say that my snappy/bitey dog is entirely trustworthy outside our home. To the point where she visits nursing and memory care facilities. It can happen, but I can't say if it will for you and Raylan.

One resource you may look into is the training and behavior help available through the Oregon Humane Society. They have an excellent staff, some great classes, and I think they will also do behavioral consults. I'm not sure if they will help out-of-state, but you're only in Vancouver, so i would hope so.

Guest Merlinda

Thank you Greysmom. Thank you so much.

So, as far as me being willing, that's the million dollar question today. I know this. I have a real bond with this dog. I do not believe for a million years he would be snappy with me, but if he was, I would be afraid and my fear would ruin the relationship. He had never shown any aggression toward me and I'm all up in his space. I do ears, toe nails, hurt toes, and everything else.

I've not ever seen him behave this way outside his space and the adoption folks haven't seen it either. I do believe strongly that it is an issue with what he deems as his space. I believe the adoption ppl haven't seen it, because he hasn't owned that space. The worst occurs when it's a true personal space invasion,such as leaning over him and being real close. The milder reactions are walk bys. I'm not a dog expert by any means, but knowing what little I do about greyhounds and there space it seems to make the most sense.

Here's also what I know. If I had unlimited financial resources, I would invest in him in a heart beat, but then I wouldn't need the renter, so all would be good. Lol.

I would keep him without a doubt if I didn't have the renter, and it's that stuff that makes me feel bad.

Anyway, he does have a crate set up. I had originally put it away and brought it out again, bc I felt he turned the house into his kennel. Tonight, my friend came with her son to mow my lawn. I kept him in his crate the whole time until the end when I muzzled him and brought him out. He did not seem anxious. He walked Astrid and sniffed, but my guests paid no attention to him as I instructed. I put his leash on and my friend took him for a walk. They came back, he drank water, and I asked him to go lie in bed. He did, they left. No incident. There a part of me that really believes it can be done especially after tonight. The hardest part to all of this is getting the humans to behave.

I've sent an email to a behavioral trainer that is affiliated with Vancouver's Humane society to see what it would take for her to observe him and provide a professional opinion. Though do you know of a behavioral trainer in the area that has greyhound specific knowledge?

How does he react when he meets people on your walks and you stop and talk to them? And what do you do at home to show him that you are not pleased with his behaviour towards your guests?

When one of my dogs does something that I will not tolerate, I look him straight in the eyes, show my teeth and growl at him. Then I walk in a straight line towards him and he has to move back. I do this until he shows calming signals.

No, I am not a Cesar Millan fan. I worked with resocializing livestock guard hounds before I had my first grey. I learned to use body language to communicate.

Ask your renter to help you. Keep your dog muzzled and when he approaches the renter, move between them. Do not look at Raylan. Just block him. He has to learn that it is your decision who enters your house. When he tries to snap at your helper, force him to move backwards (Raylan, not the renter) by blocking him with your body and moving directly towards him in a fast pace. Do not look at him, look over him. This way he has to focus his attention to you.

This may not sound nice, but you show him that you are in charge to deal with the situation. In fact you show that you take the responsibility away from him. While doing that you allow Raylan to relax, because you show him tbat you are perfectly capable of keeping him safe.

I can't post much now but please dear God don't do this. Its a good way to increase aggression and get bitten.

Yes to professional help.

Can you fix or "cure" this? Not exactly. You can do a LOT to modify his behavior and eliminate or manage triggers for his aggression if you're willing to do the work, but changing his reaction when triggered is a more difficult task. So if down the road he was ever injured or something else was going on that pushed him over the edge you could expect another bite. But you won't know what you have until you do the behavior mod with the help of a professional.

In the meantime, muzzling is fine as a safety precaution, but you need to keep him separate from your renter and guests so he doesn't have the opportunity to react. And stay out of his space as well. Your number one goal right now is to 100% prevent him from being in a situation where he feels the need to bite.

As for returning him, knowing your limits isn't a bad thing. Not everyone is cut out to deal with a dog with serious behavioral issues, especially aggression and there's nothing wrong with that.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Is it possible for us to get to a place where I can trust him to not bite and he can interact with people?

There are no guarantees when it comes to dog behavior. Some dogs are more sensitive to stress and change, less trusting of people they haven't bonded with, and have a lower threshold for what triggers them to bite, than other dogs. You can help dogs like that learn better coping mechanisms and improve their association with things that make them uncomfortable through positive reinforcement training. You can decrease the risk of future aggression through stress reduction and management. But you can't change the dog's underlying temperament, so if faced with stressful situations, or circumstances beyond their tolerance level, there will always be the potential for the aggressive/defensive response to resurface at some point in the future.

Given that no one can guarantee that the behavior can be permanently 'fixed', I think the bottom line comes down to a statement you made in your original post:

"I really believe I cannot be the mommy of a people aggressive dog. Whether right or wrong, it is the one thing that I felt (in advance) I could not manage. .... Sadly, if he cannot stop being aggressive toward people I am not the right mommy for him."

It's a personal decision regarding what you are prepared for and willing to manage. Living with a sensitive, lower threshold dog requires a long term commitment and may require making some adjustments to your lifestyle, schedule and living arrangements to keep stress low for the dog and keep everyone safe. One of our local adoption groups recently had a greyhound who was very similar to what you're describing with Raylan. The group is a small one who did not feel equipped to manage him as a foster or place him in a home, so they returned him to the track adoption kennel where he originated. There's no shame in admitting he's not the right dog for your situation. As long as your group is an experienced one, they should be able to evaluate him and place him in an appropriate home if you decide not to keep him.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Not sure if this was already asked/answered...

How was he when he was living in another home while your broken leg healed?

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

A) Listen to Neyla's Mom and JJng--they give great advice on this stuff.

B) I'm assuming your vet did his/her best to rule out sources of pain, particularly chronic pain, that can cause aggressive behavior as can the thyroid issue.

C) If the vet behavioralist is off the table for financial reasons (again, no judgement there), would the group be willing/able to help with the cost? I know money's always tight for adoption groups, but regardless of who adopts him if you rehome him, they will need to work with a good behavioralist on this kind of problem anyway.

D) There is no shame in rehoming if you can't deal with a particular behavioral challenge. Better to talk to your group and let them rehome him sooner, with a more experienced adopter, than wait until the problem gets worse if that's what you think is best.

Personally, I'd probably be a terrible match for a dog with this problem, because I wouldn't know how to deal, it would stress me out and scare and that would make the situation worse, and I don't have access to a behavioralist. On the other hand, I have severe anxiety issues, so having a dog who does too works, because on some level I get what's going on in his brain and how he feels. Another home might be the other way around.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.