Fattening Foods For A Dog With Kidney Issues?

Diana has been on home-cooked since she's been diagnosed with kidney failure, and is healthy, happy and energetic. Much better than she was pre-diagnosis, pre-diet change.

But she's getting thinner and thinner. We've upped her food to all she'll eat whenever she'll eat. 4 or 5 times per day.

Any fattening suggestions? That are kidney-compromised appropriate?

Do you feed green tripe? Not sure how fatty it is but I have read that it is a perfect food for kidney dogs. Low in phosphorus and good quality moderate protein. I know someone who mixes it with egg whites and a bit of cottage cheese for their kidney dog.

Try toast with butter - my dogs love it.

Also, if you are giving rice, you might want to increase what you are giving.

Why toast instead of regular plain bread? My girl also has kidney disease and it's hard to keep any weight on her.

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

My girl Angel has kidney diease as well. She was on a home prepared food for dogs with kidney issues. But she stopped eating that about 6 months ago. We took her in January since we were having a hard time getting her to eat. The vet ran some blood work and her kidney functions were getting worse. At that time our vet gave told us that Angel has maybe 3 to 6 more months to live. And that was back in January. She's still hanging in there yet. But not by much some days. Her coat is rough looking,she has really bad breath and she is very skinny! :cry1 There are days where she eats really well and there are day like today where she really doesn't want to eat. Then I just ask myself "Why I am doing this to her?"Then She looks at me with those big brown eyes of hers and tells me she's not done fighting yet! Like today she's hardly eaten anything all day. The only she's had all day are a Ensure shake, part of a plain McD's hamburger and some treats. And half of a piece of bread. Which she normally eat if she won't anything else. And she didn't even want that! She seems to be getting weaker with each passing day.

I'm sorry if some of my babbling isn't making sense right now. But it hard to see threw the tears on my glasses right now! Every time I start thinking having to put Angel to sleep I start crying, like I'm doing right now! :crying

Sarah, mom to Stella and Winston . And to Prince, Katie Z, Malone, Brooke, Freddie, Angel and Fast who are all waiting at the Bridge!

www.gpawisconsin.org

I never thought of bread! I'll try it, plain and toasted. I can't find green tripe around here, but I'll keep looking.

Several places online that deliver it raw for pets. I use Hare Today, but there is also A Place For Paws and another place that is escaping me at the moment. Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

My girl Angel has kidney diease as well. She was on a home prepared food for dogs with kidney issues. But she stopped eating that about 6 months ago. We took her in January since we were having a hard time getting her to eat. The vet ran some blood work and her kidney functions were getting worse. At that time our vet gave told us that Angel has maybe 3 to 6 more months to live. And that was back in January. She's still hanging in there yet. But not by much some days. Her coat is rough looking,she has really bad breath and she is very skinny! :cry1 There are days where she eats really well and there are day like today where she really doesn't want to eat. Then I just ask myself "Why I am doing this to her?"Then She looks at me with those big brown eyes of hers and tells me she's not done fighting yet! Like today she's hardly eaten anything all day. The only she's had all day are a Ensure shake, part of a plain McD's hamburger and some treats. And half of a piece of bread. Which she normally eat if she won't anything else. And she didn't even want that! She seems to be getting weaker with each passing day.

I'm sorry if some of my babbling isn't making sense right now. But it hard to see threw the tears on my glasses right now! Every time I start thinking having to put Angel to sleep I start crying, like I'm doing right now! :crying

We'll get to that point with Diana too. Never forget, it's our responsibility to make the hard choice when quality of life wanes. The bad breath is from the toxins building up in her body that her kidneys can't filter out. It might be time to let go.