Dap For Short-Term Stress?

Guest DarkHorse

Guest DarkHorse

Right now, Dexter is quite worked up. He's usually pretty typically greyhound-laid-back: he might switch beds a couple times a day and he definitely gets excited over visitors, food, and walks, but he otherwise just naps the day away.

Not so much right now. We're in the throes of moving, with boxes everywhere and both of us running around getting things packed up every night. On top of that, he seems to still be trying to find Araley. So he's wandering restlessly from room to room and bed to bed, never staying for much more than an hour except at night. He's also exhibiting some minor separation anxiety symptoms, most notably whining and getting even more restless when one of us is home but in a room with the door shut.

We're doing our best to stay available to him, and we're taking him on walks to try to burn off some of his energy, but we can't do anything about the big changes in his life. We're a week away from moving and can't stop it now. Araley's gone, and we can't bring her back nor adopt a new companion for him, and we won't be able to until at least November.

We're wondering if there's anything we can give him to help take the edge off the stress and anxiety that he's undoubtedly feeling. We're anticipating only needing it for a month or so, long enough to get us moved in to the new place and settled. At most, it would be needed until November, when we can discuss either fostering or adopting if he's still stressed out without a companion.

Would something like Adaptil or the Thunderspray be worth trying for such a short period of time? Or is there something else that could help? We don't want to get him all loopy, just the equivalent of a cup of chamomile tea and a good book, or a single glass of wine. Something mildly relaxing and comforting.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Guest DarkHorse

We have melatonin already, so I'll try that at first and see if it helps. If he's still antsy by Friday, we'll stop by the vet and get some Adaptil for him.

Thanks!

Guest BuddyfromDC

I just got an Adaptil collar for Buddy, and I think it works pretty well. He's normally a really really chill grey, but he was having a bit of trouble adjusting to my new work schedule. I think it helped ease the transition. I also freeze yogurt and treats in his Kong, and it occupies him for a solid hour. By the time he finishes the Kong, he's ready to sleep.

Adaptil collar and either Composure chews or l-thianine. I would use either of the latter over melatonin first.

Also, don't discount the value of a dog who is mentally tired. Food puzzles, nosework, stuffed kongs, food dispensing tiys, even things like bully sticks or Himalayan chews - all of these things will tire him out mentally and go a long way toward relieving stress. Think of how tired you feel after a long, productive day of work versus after a distance run or some other strenuous physical exercise. Both leave you exhausted but they feel different, right? Dogs need both.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."