&$*# Lyme

Do not make the mistakes I did... I will carry the guilt to my ashes as they float onto the waves of the Nantucket Sound.

For several months, Mafi (Galga Queen, approx 14) had been licking at her L front leg. She was not lame on it and it was neither swollen nor warm, So I continued to watch it. Then, about 2 months ago, she became depressed, not eating, hunchy, and just wanted to be upstairs in bed. My gut told me this was Lyme but I didn't listen to my wise gut. This episode lasted a couple of days, and therein was my grave error: I did not bring her into the vet for testing. She improved and returned to her baseline.

About 3 weeks ago, she became dead lame on that left front, and I whisked her into the vet. Xrays negative, no temp, and I found out that my gut was right all along: Snap 4 was positive for Lyme.

Stupid, stupid human. I practice medicine. I *know* better, after researching TBD for years. Yet Mafi suffered because of my ignorance.

Because she is very difficult to pill, and was not eating well, I spoke with my vet and researched options. Decided on Convenia (cefovecin), an injectable cephalosporin with long-acting effect -- she received 2 injections 14 days apart. It took about 10 days for her to stop limping and return to her baseline. (The maximum dose of Convenia is the 2 injections, and I want to extend her course beyond 4 weeks, so will see if I can slip her Amox now that she's eating again.)

There's a HUGE moral to this story: Lyme, Anaplasma, Babesiosis and other TBDs are endemic here in the Northeast, along the Atlantic seaboard, and migrating west. Have a low threshold for having them tested and treated as soon as symptoms crop up. Mafi is an oldster now, frail, and has lived through a couple of strokes and vestibular disase. Lyme devastated her. In this area, I should have assumed Lyme and begun treatment immediately and I did not. Luckily she is recovering nicely so far, and living it up on chicken, beef stew, and hot dogs. She's the Queen in this house, and I will forever be her humble servant. (Frankly, I was doing this before Lyme, too. :bow )

Thanks for letting me guilt out... :unsure

The Queen

20150517152736013_zpsdizatwct.jpg

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Please don't beat yourself up. Very glad she is recovering nicely. :wub: that sweet white face.

Is there a new SNAP test that checks for Babesia? I've always had to overnight it to Protatek in AZ for that in lieu of paying a large additional cost just for Babesia which is fairly common around here.. They had/have a "greyhound special" but haven't sent one off in a few years. I can't remember the # on the form. It checked for Eherlichia, Babesia, Lyme and RMSF. One foster found as a stray in OK (tick capitol of the world in my book) hit the grand slam and had all four. :(

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I am very glad she is healing and pls don't beat yourself up. We have all made mistakes with our pups and they are just that mistakes.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

The symptoms from Lyme can be hard to decipher and mimic other causes and because of this, I decide to vaccinate all my dogs yearly against Lyme. This was a big decision for me and so far, one that I have not regretted. I was never sure that I would be able to spot what might be a Lyme problem and if I was unsure, it could be weeks/months before getting treatment and the longer the disease is active, the harder it is to get rid of. I'm also in an area considered to be a hot bed of tick activity.

I did a massive amount of reading on Lyme a few years ago and I was pretty shaken up by some of the research that shows that even when treatment is started at a reasonable time, sometimes the spirochetes (spiral organism) are able to cocoon themselves into areas where the antibiotic does not reach them (either from the cocooning or the placement) and because of this, some people had re-occurrences later in life when they had some other issue that lowered their immune system.

Don't beat yourself up ... life happens. The antibiotics should take care of it.

Most of my family has had at least one tick borne disease, as they live on Nantucket, the hotbed of tickborne diseases!

My dog gets the vaccine and I watch him like a hawk for ticks. They keep testing ME for it, although I have so far escaped.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck