Wait Period To Switch From Steroid To Nsaid

In trying to manage Kasey's LS with all this chemo going on isn't an easy feat. I'd like to weigh some pros and cons for switching from prednisone to an NSAID.

The pred right now is essentially handling the inflammation in his back. He has been on a light dose since 2008 to control allergies, so I already had it on hand and the vet said it was ok to increase to help him, this was before the tumour was biopsied.

Some days his legs are just sticks on a body, and before he becomes too reliant on the steroid, I'd like to consider another option, that hopefully helps his pain, inflammation and stops the side effects of muscle wasting etc. Is there anything else out there? How long does he have to be off pred before switching - it's difficult for him to go longer than 36 hours right now on 10mg.

Similarly, if I visit this Depo injection thing again, he would also have to be off pred for a bit before we do that.....

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I think the standard is a week in between but JJNg or tbhounds may have better info. Meantime he could have tramadol and/or gabapentin.

Hugs to your pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yup one weekish pretty standard to my knowledge---even when switching from NSAID to NSAID it's one week. Of course every clinician has their own protocol and it certainly depends on the patient. One thing I will mention because it involves an OTC medicine - of all the NSAIDs aspirin requires the longest washout period between nsaid to nsaid-just FYI.

My experience with LS was that Gabapentin was what worked, not an NSAID. Although to be fair, George also took Deramaxx, but that was for his overall body ricketyness. I just made that word up I think!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Well I don't doubt that Gabapentin is working for him, but if it was just gaba alone it wouldn't be enough. Giving him pred is what makes his back straighten back out and his legs "strong". So I'm sorta looking for a replacement of the pred that isn't a steroid......

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Have you asked your vet?

In humans, it depends on how long the drug stays in the system (which is related to the half-life although not the same). That's why washout periods can be fairly different, even for drugs in the same class.

Some drugs you have to taper down, too, cold turkey is dangerous. I don't know if that's the case with prednisone, but it's a question to ask your vet.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.