Panacur / Safe-Guard

Guest WildSparkler

Guest WildSparkler

I was hoping someone might be able to answer a few questions about panacur! My Roxy has a stubborn case of hookworms, so I was planning on ordering/picking up some panacur to make sure to cover the hooks lifecycle to dose between her new monthly med/preventative (Advantage Multi - suggested by the vet) that is supposed to help treat the worms. I know I can pick it up at PetCo under the name Safe-guard or order off Amazon. They should be the same product, as far as I know (fenbendazole).

My question(s) though, is(are) this: I know I have read somewhere that you need to use the correct dosage or it doesn't work well. I looked at the invoice the last time the vet prescribed panacur, and he had given 6 gram packets for 3 days. The only thing I could find with panacur or safe-guard come in 4 gram packets (labeled for up to 40 lbs). Roxy weighs around 62lbs. Do they come in larger doses or would the 4 grams work well enough? I have also read that sometimes 5 days works better. So this is kind of a dumb question haha, but boxes come in 3 packets, would you just buy 2 boxes? We are starting to get frustrated with these nasty things, and just want them gone!

Yes, dosage goes by weight.

Our group didn't have much luck with the standard 3 day wait 21 days and 3 more doses

We changed to 5 days, 21 days , than 5 more doses. Which seemed to work well

However a couple of the last dogs adopted, even though they passed a required fecal check for a health certificate, tested positive for hooks after.

Someone else here said that their group does a 3rd round.

Valley vet has more options for purchase. See link below.

Sentinel heartworm also treats hooks...not chewable as advertised though.

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=a981a331-83e0-42f5-bf86-0a5b069cc1f0&sfb=1&itemguid=9f587aa0-4f36-418d-ac52-ec19e6d253e5&utm_content=31652&ccd=ISH004&utm_source=shopping.com&utm_medium=shopping&mr:referralID=7110f2fd-d426-11e4-8635-001b2166becc

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho

There are 1 gram, 2 gram and 4 gram packets so if the appropriate dose is 6 grams you need to give 1 2 gram packet and 1 4 gram packet daily. Amazon carries all of them for the best price that I've found.

I would dose 3 times, initially, then 21 days from the first day of the previous dosage and then again a month later. When I did it I went for 3 day courses but hooks are nasty buggers so if your dog tolerates the Panacur and doesn't get stomach upset it might not hurt to do 5 (of course these are chemicals, but see comment above about nasty buggers :P).

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Panacur and SafeGard are produced by the same company in the same factory. Panacur is packaged in a variety of sizes and in bulk for vets to dispense. SafeGard is their brand that is packaged for retail sale. Both are the exact same product.

As the others said, administer by weight and do at least 1, if not 2 follow up doses as instructed to be sure you get them all.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest WildSparkler

Panacur and SafeGard are produced by the same company in the same factory. Panacur is packaged in a variety of sizes and in bulk for vets to dispense. SafeGard is their brand that is packaged for retail sale. Both are the exact same product.

What seems to be on Amazon is Panacur-C, which is still the same product as well, correct?

There are 1 gram, 2 gram and 4 gram packets so if the appropriate dose is 6 grams you need to give 1 2 gram packet and 1 4 gram packet daily. Amazon carries all of them for the best price that I've found.

I would dose 3 times, initially, then 21 days from the first day of the previous dosage and then again a month later. When I did it I went for 3 day courses but hooks are nasty buggers so if your dog tolerates the Panacur and doesn't get stomach upset it might not hurt to do 5 (of course these are chemicals, but see comment above about nasty buggers :P).

We will definitely get the 2 gram and 4 gram packets then! The first time she was given panacur it didn't seem to upset her stomach at all so I think we will go for the 5 days! Amazon seems to have the cheapest I have found as well so far!

Thanks so much for all the advice so far! She just started her new Advantage Multi med on Monday, which is supposed to help kills the hooks. So should we wait a little to start the panacur, or just go for it asap?

What seems to be on Amazon is Panacur-C, which is still the same product as well, correct?

Looks like they've added a new packaging choice labeled as Panacur C since the last time I had to use it. That's the same thing. That packaging used to only be available as SafeGard brand.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest aecyoj

Question!! My vet used Pyrantel for Hookworm. I know the worms are in the yard. She has a mild case of hook. What do I do to the yard to prevent reinfestation and do I retreat her, if so when?? new to this forum, but not to dosg or greyhounds.

Edited by aecyoj

Question!! My vet used Pyrantel for Hookworm. I know the worms are in the yard. She has a mild case of hook. What do I do to the yard to prevent reinfestation and do I retreat her, if so when?? new to this forum, but not to dosg or greyhounds.

Once de-wormed using the suggested protocol keep the yard clean by picking up the stool immediately. Also your hound should be on a heartworm preventive monthly-many of those products will also help to control hookworm infestation (heartgard plus is one).

Guest aecyoj

She is on heartgard not heartgard plus. We live in Florida and once a year the vet checks and she has a mild case of hookworm

Edited by aecyoj

She is on heartgard not heartgard plus. We live in Florida and once a year the vet checks and she has a mild case of hookworm

Regular Heartguard doesn't have dewormer. You need the plus. After you dose with multiple doses of Panacur to get rid of the infestation. Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest aecyoj

Thank you, I just bought a years supply of heartgard. I can't exchange it. What else can I do?? Your help is much appreciated.

On 30 plus years of owning dogs I have never had this problem. it used to be once wormed, never a problem again.

Guest Moonie12

Just scrolling through to see what I could find out about hookworms. Moonie has had them since I brought him home, going on 9 months! I had him on heartgard plus, panacur, and pyrantal. They have given different doses of the pyrantal and this week I got the results back saying he still has them. They are switching to interceptor instead of heartgard and back to the panacur. The vet said it was larval leak syndrome. The larva is in his soft tissue past the intestines. I am picking it up as soon as they get it in. I guess they had to order it, the interceptor. So my question here is... Is the following really reinfecting him: eggs stuck to his skin, he wants him bathed every 2 weeks. I check his feet always to make sure he hasn't stepped in anything. Which he doesn't because I pick up daily. However he's always had soft stool so now that it's summer I've been spraying down the poop spots because I can't pick it all up. Is there something I need to treat the yard with? I've never seen a worm. Can this be the cause of him having a hard time putting on weight? I really hope the interceptor works for him this time! They are really hard to get rid of.

Guest WildSparkler

Sounds like my girls' situation! I'm going to have to look into this larval leak syndrome.. The only different is that she can't pick it up in the yard again, cause we don't have a yard, unless she somehow does while on our walks! As far as I know, you cannot see the worms by eye? I have never seen any worms either. Unfortunately we just got a new preventative the vet suggested, but obviously Interceptor is popular, so I think that will definitely be what we try next! Good luck Moonie12! It is frustrating!

Guest Moonie12

WildSparker, I just noticed you are from Minnesota as well! If you are near or in Minneapolis which vet do you go to? I just talked to the vet today and asked for a 5 day dose of the panacea instead of 3 days, they said it was fine. I will have to order the Interceptor online though. Perhaps since it was just released again maybe it's not as popular as the heartgard, but I sure hope it works! Good to know you don't have a yard she is reinfecting herself in. Both vets I have been to suggested I'm not picking up the yard and he's reinfecting himself there. I beg to differ since I have done everything they said to do, which was an extensive list! I will let you know how this round of treatment goes!

Guest WildSparkler

I am actually all the way up north in Duluth, haha. I just got a round of panacur we ordered online, and we're going to try the 5 day as well. We had to order our new preventative the vet suggested online too, although I wish I would have waited and tried Interceptor as well! Yeah, cause our girl has been on Heartguard Plus and it wasn't helping. I hope it works too!

Where is Moonie from? I wonder if these infestations are worse in different areas? Or the vet suggested different species of hookworm. Roxy came from Alabama.