Half Raw Half Kibble Diet?

Guest Wasabi303

Guest Wasabi303

I want to get my girl eating less kibble and more raw, but I can't afford (time or money) to fully raw right now. A friend of mine suggested that I go half and half. I have been feeding her Iams green bag and Owelos carrots for breakfast and chicken necks for dinner for about 2 weeks and she loves it.

Is this sustainable? Do I need to worry about mixing up what I feed her for the raw portion? Do I need to worry about her missing any key nutrients since she is still getting some kibble? I appreciate any advice.

It has been a while since I've fed raw, but when I did I fed kibble in the morning and raw in the evenings for both time and cost concerns also.

I do think that the raw meal should be more balanced and complete though. Just feeding chicken necks is not a balanced raw diet.

Don't mix it together in the same meal. Feed each individually in a separate meal instead. The raw is supposed to go through their system fairly quickly- its one of the reasons they are not bothered by it being raw. Kibble will go through and some is designed to go through slower. Not good to mix the raw with kibble and hold it in their system longer than it is supposed to be. I've fed raw for many years with outstanding happy results but I have never mixed it with kibble and tempted fate. OK to feed kibble in a separate meal. JMO.

I've been fighting a bit of a diet battle with Kasey and Ryder right now vs. raw and kibble. Ryder (fed raw right now) is really getting all of Kasey's left overs (fed kibble right now). That means Ry gets kibble in with his raw. He really is relishing it but it's making quite the difference in the poop consistency, so I agree with the above in feeding the meals separately.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

In the past I have mixed the two, kibble in the morning and raw in the evening, with no problems. I do agree that just chicken necks isn't balanced, even with the morning kibble. Maybe try bone in chicken thighs, drums, or even leg quarters, depending on how big your dog is.

Guest Wasabi303

Okay thanks everyone. What do you all recommend to add variety to her raw portion? Should i stay with chicken or try other animals? Should i be adding any vegetables or anything like that?

We don't really add vegetables in because Jake won't eat them and we figure he'll get what he needs when we feed canned. Although I have been wanting to start him on a daily vitamin as well. I did want to add that you can get chicken thighs for a very good price at Costco (I'm sure Sam's club as well) or other discount stores. Sometimes the regular supermarket will have them on sale and you can stock up if you have the space. It hasn't been too much more expensive for us than feeding a mid-level kibble. Beef liver is also an inexpensive option.

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

Don't mix it together in the same meal. Feed each individually in a separate meal instead. The raw is supposed to go through their system fairly quickly- its one of the reasons they are not bothered by it being raw. Kibble will go through and some is designed to go through slower. Not good to mix the raw with kibble and hold it in their system longer than it is supposed to be. I've fed raw for many years with outstanding happy results but I have never mixed it with kibble and tempted fate. OK to feed kibble in a separate meal. JMO.

i agree that raw and kibble digest at different rates so i would also feed one meal raw and one meal kibble. And as said, chicken necks aren't enough nutrition wise. It is good as a treat, cleans teeth and they get some bone for calcium. They need meat, organ meats in small quantities as it is very rich. I feed tripe too which has natural probiotics, if you can stand the smell lol I belong to a co-op which makes feeding raw affordable. I would also look online for raw diets and contents.

Tripe is an excellent addition if you have access to it. The canned isn't quite as good nutritionally as the raw, and I think it smells worse, but both are good. You can try other meats, but except maybe turkey, they are probably going to be a lot more expensive. I wouldn't bother with veggies unless your dog happens to like them as a treat.

The whole "never mix raw and kibble" is a myth imho and not based on fact (I believe there was a study done in which raw actually takes longer than kibble to be fully digested). Most performance dogs including racing greys, sleddogs, etc. eat a mixture of kibble and meat. I have done it for years with no problems. Of course if your dog does better with separate meals, then do that.

Chicken necks is not a balanced raw diet, but if you are only supplementing with raw (less than 50%) of the diet you don't have to be too exact. For a proper raw diet, only about half of the meat should contain bone. The other half should be boneless meat. So...you may want to consider adding in some boneless meat (beef, heart, organs, etc.). You can also add in tripe, eggs and canned sardines a few times a week if you like.

I buy/make a ground mix as part of my diet and that is what I mix in with the kibble. The raw goes way further when I mix it with kibble and Teague enthusiastically eats his food (would love to feed all raw but meat is so expensive here). I feed some chicken or pork bones for teeth.

:)

Edited by RedHead

Guest WhiteWave

I mix kibble, raw, home cooked, leftovers, whatever. No issues here with 9 dogs. I would add something besides chicken necks for the raw part though. Add some more muscle meat. Maybe a bit of organ meat. Nothing wrong with mixing or continuing like you do, kibble one meal, raw the next. I do it because of the number of dogs I have and the cost and lack of space for freezers. Do whatever works best for you and your dog.

You can mix them. Same meal, different meals, doesn't matter.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I feed different kibbles, depending on where I buy it or what's a good deal lol. Usually TOTW, Orijin, Acana, Nutrition First and Nutram. I've tried lots of others but these are the only ones picky boy will eat. If I mix them with raw I don't have digestive issues.

Guest WhiteWave

Not to hijack :) but I am curious, WhiteWave and RedHead, and anyone else who mixes kibble in with their raw, what kibble do you use?

Mine eat mainly Pro Plan Performance, but will rotate with Victor Hi Pro, Redpaw 32K and Dr. Tims Momentum. Mine are very high energy, hard to keep weight on dogs. Heavily exercised 5 times a week. I add raw ground beef, pure beef fat, chicken quarters, chicken heart/liver/gizzards, canned mackeral or sardines, buttermilk, cottage cheese, kefir, coconut oil and salmon oil.

Edited by WhiteWave

Guest Lillypad

"Good News, everyone" (some will get this, hee,hee) The myth about mixing raw with kibble has been debunked. So feed them together with confidence. Chicken necks should not be considered a meal, there is not enough meat on them. Variety is the spice of life, so introduce as many raw protein sources as possible. Do lots of research and you will gain lots of confidence feeding a raw diet. Congratulations for starting a raw/half raw diet, your pup will be pleased. Here a some sites I found helpful http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/242512-raw-feeding-basics/

http://www.rawlearning.com/index.html

Edited by Lillypad

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Wasabi303

Hi everyone- Tips for weight gain on raw? Left my girl with a family friend while I was away and she dropped some weight. Are there raw option that are better for weight gain? Or should I just feed more?

I would just feed more if your dog needs to gain weight. Don't feed overly fatty meat cuts as a regular part of the diet (that isn't healthy). :) You can add things like eggs, sardines, cottage cheese etc. if you want though.

On a side note, lots of dogs loose weight when their owners go away. I know Teague always drops weight when he stays at my parent's house. It may just be that she missed you!

Edited by RedHead

When Colin lost weight due to his age I added noodles, potatoes or rice to his raw, some vegetables and line seed oil. The oil is supposed to help building up muscles.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).