Trader Joe's Kibble?

Hi all,

We're currently feeding Redbo Merrick's Beef & Sweet Potato kibble, which he likes well enough when he's not on a hunger strike (his endgame: yummy add-ins). But for the price, I figure the food should be just about perfect, and it's not. His stools are a little soft and can sometimes be mushy, plus he still has paint peeling gas. I think the food might be a little rich for his sensitive tummy, so it looks like it might be time to start transitioning him to another food.

We previously fed him Iams (green bag) which did result in awesome poops, but his coat was dull and he would go off it on a fairly regular basis. So no go.

A co-worker mentioned she feeds her dog kibble from Trader Joe's, but I haven't been able to find much information on the product. I know a lot of people on here like the treats and such, but has anyone tried the dry food?

Redbo, after his 8 hour hunger strike (where he proceeded to eat the egg we added but left the kibble):

d66d883e-46cd-465e-b2c6-02f749defc8f_zps

It was a battle of wills, but he ate his kibble and was happier for it.

popos_zpsgq0lbak1.png

Myka does great on their dry food and she loves the canned food, too.

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Oh that's great, Jenbo! Does TJ's have different kinds of kibble (flavors, grain-free, etc.)? I'm going to brave the parking lot situation and go by there today, but I just want to have a good idea of what they have.

popos_zpsgq0lbak1.png

Myka eats the Chicken and Rice and there are other flavors. It's so weird, I can't seem to find anything on line...I'll keep looking..

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Rubbles_Mom

Sadly, our boy didn't respond well to the food. He liked it well enough, but he still had soft poops. The search continues!

😑 darn. I've definitely noticed he's drinking more. Hopefully you find something that works for your pup soon!

merrick has another food, less ingredients and it costs less....american something or another. my dogs did not do well on it but according to the feed store here in san antonio many dogs do really well on it and it's very reasonable. my welsh terrier's coat became dull and brittle on the trader joe's food.

i see you are in san antonio. i frequent the store on austin highway across from target,the kibble i'm talking about is it in their next to last row on the right hand side of the store in the back on the right aisle just before the end. btw, where in SA are you? we are presently visiting alamo heights and concluding our summer teaching at the southwest school of the arts. pm me if you wish. or just post your contact info on gt and i'll get in touch w/ you. not too much walking only at 10pm w/ our dogs. they are HOTHOTHOT!

merrick has another food, less ingredients and it costs less....american something or another. my dogs did not do well on it but according to the feed store here in san antonio many dogs do really well on it and it's very reasonable. my welsh terrier's coat became dull and brittle on the trader joe's food.

i see you are in san antonio. i frequent the store on austin highway across from target,the kibble i'm talking about is it in their next to last row on the right hand side of the store in the back on the right aisle just before the end. btw, where in SA are you? we are presently visiting alamo heights and concluding our summer teaching at the southwest school of the arts. pm me if you wish. or just post your contact info on gt and i'll get in touch w/ you. not too much walking only at 10pm w/ our dogs. they are HOTHOTHOT!

Funny you mention the budget Merrick food! We just transitioned Redbo off the pricier Merrick and onto the TJ food (and then off the TJ food since it was giving him D). And now we're back to Merrick but the budget one. We're a little leery since Purina just bought out Merrick, but our boy has never been better now that he's eating the Whole Earth Farms food (this one: http://www.feedgoodness.com/recipes/dog/grain-free-recipe-pork-beef-lamb-poultry-free). His output is solid, his coat is so pretty and he actually eats it without any add-ins. We'll just watch him closely, and if there are any changes while he's on the food, we'll continue the search for the "perfect" food.

We get the food at Pet Supplies Plus because we live in the North Central part of town. We live in an apartment so we haaave to walk Redbo 3 or 4 times a day, but we keep the daytime walks short because HOT. Right now, we're just trying to keep him entertained in the AC :hehe .

popos_zpsgq0lbak1.png

Aw no that's not us. We probably live about 15 minutes north of ya'll.

We're right next to Hardberger Park, which has a nice little dog park. We're going around 7:15am on Sunday morning if you (or anyone else) wants a greyhound playdate. We usually go that early because there is no one there at that time, and we don't have to worry about other doggies, big or little.

popos_zpsgq0lbak1.png

• 3 weeks later...

I have had an awful time with Dolly & Grace (finally got Taylor on kibble and he's been ok, Ringo same). I bought the Whole Earth Farms, turkey/duck and for the first time in weeks, Dolly has turds! Many soft ones, but at least turds. The last day or two not so good but I gave them TJ cookies and fed Dolly home made last night. This morning was very bad.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

That's good for Dolly!! Redbo is doing so well on Whole Earth Farms (pork, beef, and whatever else). If we exclusively feed him kibble and TJ cookies, he has firm and bouncy poop. But... we like to give him table scraps once we've finished eating dinner, so his poop is usually a little softer. I guess we have to be a little stricter with table food :chow .

popos_zpsgq0lbak1.png