Getting A Sick Dog To Eat

Guest DarkHorse

Guest DarkHorse

Araley has always been a picky eater, and she would frequently skip meals during the summer. Because she never got too thin or made herself sick, we let her self-regulate. But now it's become a problem.

To make a long story short, since last Wednesday (the 1st), she's eaten six out of nineteen meals. Thursday morning, Saturday and Sunday meals, and about one full meal Monday through Wednesday. She threw up Wednesday morning, then again yesterday morning, last night, and this morning.

We took her to the vet yesterday after signs of increasing pain and her lack of appetite and sickness. According to the blood panels, the vet's fairly certain that she has a bleeding tumour on her spleen.

The problem is that she is very underweight right now, and the vet is worried that surgery would kill her. She should be about 60 pounds, and she's at 50. We took home some Tramadol and some Sulcrate to hopefully help with things, and she seems to be a little more settled.

But she won't eat. We've tried her regular food, special kibble, pork-and-rice meatballs, treats of various kinds. She didn't eat at all yesterday, and she hasn't eaten at all today. She takes the meds just fine, and drinks like it's going out of style, but won't eat anything.

Does anyone know of anything we might be able to coerce her to eat? It's a long shot, but it's her only chance.

No matter what, we need her to eat. At best, it's a puncture in her intestines, and even if it heals itself, she needs to be a better weight to recover. She will almost certainly need surgery, though, and the vet really doesn't want to do it unless she gains at least 5 or so pounds. We'll obviously make the call ourselves, but we want her to have the best chance possible.

I have ground up food in a blender and drawn it up in a syringe and gently pushed it down their throat. This is a last resort type of thing. The late Miss Magic was in end stage renal failure. The vet said we could try this a couple of times. The thinking was that her stomach was empty and if we could get something in it she might feel better and want to eat. Sometimes dogs LOVE cat food. It is not good for them so I would only try it on a VERY limited basis just to see if she is interested. I hope things improve for her and your family. I know how difficult this can be.

greytalksignatureresized.jpg

Scrambled eggs and cottage cheese are never turned down here. They are my go to food when Rocket has stomach issues. Make sure to try and feed small amounts multiple times per day. It seems like once they get a little food in them they will eat more times per day. Just small quantities and they handle it much better that way.

Maybe blend up a sardine or two (sardines in water - not oil) in whatever you are feeding to make it stinky and attractive. I wouldn't feed a lot of sardines - but sometimes stinky is what works.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest DarkHorse

Is there a favorite meal that she has always eaten off your plate, or tried to steal? Maybe tricking her would work.

We tried hot dogs, which she used to like, with no luck. The only other thing I can think of is chicken skin, so I'll see if we can get some.

If she is drinking try vanilla Ensure or Boost, get the high calorie version.

I'll try this for sure. She is drinking well, so maybe giving her a bowl of this will help.

I have ground up food in a blender and drawn it up in a syringe and gently pushed it down their throat. This is a last resort type of thing. The late Miss Magic was in end stage renal failure. The vet said we could try this a couple of times. The thinking was that her stomach was empty and if we could get something in it she might feel better and want to eat. Sometimes dogs LOVE cat food. It is not good for them so I would only try it on a VERY limited basis just to see if she is interested. I hope things improve for her and your family. I know how difficult this can be.

I can and will try syringing food down her if she keeps the Ensure down. She's not interested in the kitty food - usually she licks up the bowl once he's done and now she won't even look at it with a full serving in it.

We're giving her the weekend on the meds to see if she goes one way or another. If she starts eating and putting on weight, then we'll get her back up to a good weight before surgery. If she keeps losing, then we have to talk with the vet to determine what her chances are with surgery. We'll probably have to do a chest radiograph to see if it's cancer that's metastasised to her lungs first, regardless, as there's a 50/50 chance that it's a cancerous tumour and if it is and has spread then she's got no chance.

She needs to be hospitalized! If she has a ruptured splenic mass eating is the last thing you need to worry about. She needs to be admitted to a emergency/referral clinic ASAP where she will be monitored and given supportive care and have further diagnostics/surgery performed.

^ this. If she is bleeding internally, she must be hospitalized.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

What they said. I'd get her in to the hospital ASAP for some imaging and surgery if needed. Some things can wait, and some really cannot. Hugs and best wishes.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

^ x3 what they said. She needs to be hospitalized. We will keep Araley in our thoughts.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest DarkHorse

Thanks, all. Unfortunately, we had to let Araley go this morning. It wasn't a bleeding tumor on her spleen after all, but liver cancer. The vet said there was nothing we could have done and not leaving her at the e-vet meant she got to spend her last couple of days at home. Wish doing so could have saved her, though.

:( :( :( I'm so sorry to hear this but glad she got to spend her last days with you.

Godspeed, well-loved girlie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

It is a comfort that your girl was with her family right to the end. I am so sorry for your loss.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.