Grey Communication - Tongues

Guest KEW

I have had Mangia for just over a month now and he's a sweetheart. The only thing he loves as much as food is to be petted. My DH and I have noticed that when we pet him, he tends to stick his tongue out very slightly and then pull it back in. It's not the same as if he is licking his chops, which we have read is a sign of nervousness. It's more like a quick tasting of the air when he's being loved on. Is this something anybody else has seen? Is it just a muted sign of him being nervous or is it a sign of affection? He definitely loves to be petted, so I'm inclined to believe that he does it out of happiness. I would just like to confirm that he's doing it out of happiness, not discomfort.

Also, I cannot seem to figure out how to post an avatar picture for my profile or to post pictures at all on this forum. Does anybody have a link to a tutorial or instructions on how to do it? I'd love to share pictures of my beautiful boy but I can't seem to figure it out. Please help!

If the rest of him is relaxed and happy, and he's not actively trying to get away from you, I would take it as a sign of contentment and/or affection. Sometimes they will actually lick their people, too.

There is more info on photo posting in the Technical section, and in a pinned thread at the top of the Cute and Funny section.

Your avatar - the little picture off to the left - is done through your profile pages. You submit a photo and the mods will add it for you. For posting pics in threads, you need a photo hosting site like Photobucket or Instagram. Upload your photos and look for the linking options that most sites have available. In Photoshop, the one you use is called the "img code." Copy the link from there and then paste it into a thread here and hit the "POST" box when you're done with the post.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

It's a calming signal. Even though the your dog likes to be petted, he still has to let you know that he comes in peace and means you no harm. A number of greyhounds with which I have very close relationships do this exact same thing despite having known me for years in some cases. My own greyhound yawns almost constantly when we are in physical contact - same thing - another calming signal. If you watch closely you may see you dog use this "licking the lips" technique when meeting other dogs.

It's a calming signal. Even though the your dog likes to be petted, he still has to let you know that he comes in peace and means you no harm. A number of greyhounds with which I have very close relationships do this exact same thing despite having known me for years in some cases. My own greyhound yawns almost constantly when we are in physical contact - same thing - another calming signal. If you watch closely you may see you dog use this "licking the lips" technique when meeting other dogs.

:nod :nod :nod

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I'm so happy to hear this! I'm always so worried that I am stressing him out. Thanks for letting me know! I'm still hoping to get a smile or teeth chitters soon. :)

Thanks greysmom for letting me know how to post pictures. I appreciate it.