Looking For Advice For Senior Food

Guest Lochshumans

Guest Lochshumans

Hi everyone,

I don't often post, but I've posted a few times and have been a long time reader here. My grey, Loch has been on the Iams green bag for many years and it has been very good for him. He's 8 now and does have chronic ehrlichia. That being said, during his last ehrlichia flare up (which only happens every couple years or so), our vet recommended getting him on a food that helps with joint support. Our vet said that he could feel some flare up in his joints which is related to his ehrlichia, but feels a senior food would be beneficial to help that, even when there isn't a flare up.

I'm looking for any recommendations for a senior food that has some joint support in it (which I believe most senior foods do have), however I would like to keep the price reasonable. I have another non greyhound that has hepatitis and needs to be on a rather pricey liver support daily and a grain free (expensive) food.

Thanks in advance from Loch :chow

From what I've head including from a boss at Blue Buffalo dog food company senior foods are marketing ploy and don't contain a level of supplements to d any good. Might be better to add the glucosamine and chondroitin (most common in senior food) separately.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I agree...stick with "regular" food and supplement yourself. It is easier to control and you know the quality and amounts of what you are feeding. I would also start supplementing with omega 3 supplements (which is what most of the joint prescription diets have). You can spend a fortune on special joint diets from the vet, but I prefer to stick with a high quality diet and control the supplements myself.

Look at Springtime.com for the Joint Health supplement and another supplement called Fresh Factors. Many of us have been using these for years with good results.

As far as Senior Food, I did put Rocket on a senior food when he turned 8 to try and maintain his weight. it is basically the same food we always fed, but with less calories and fat. We have used Precise Pet Senior Food for several years now with no issues. We use the regular food, not the Holistic which is much higher in price.

Here is the link to the Precise Food. The bag now looks different from the one in the picture, so if you try it, don't be alarmed. http://smile.amazon.com/Precise-726031-Canine-Senior-30-Pound/dp/B000084EBG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436368065&sr=8-1&keywords=precise+senior+dog+food

You can also get a smaller bag to try using sites such as wag.com.

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest Lochshumans

Wonderful suggestions, I was thinking about doing a supplement instead and it seems like most of you have validated that thought of mine! I really appreciate it :)