Meet Cooper (Aka Coopernikis)

As a greyhound adoption group here in Montreal we occasionally get calls from other groups, shelters and the like about greyhound who had been found but this was the first time we got a call about a greyhound who had been unceremoniously dumped at a "kill shelter" (why do I think that this is an oxymoron, but, in the immortal words of Joe T Reporter, I digest.... )

We picked up "Sugar" a beautiful 11 year old fawn brindle and brought him home. We knew that adopting out an 11 year old could be tricky so we agreed to keep him here, happy and healthy until he could no longer enjoy his time on earth.

We renamed him Cooper thanks to our fondness for Sheldon of the BBT, but watching Cooper daily with his soul-searching gaze, calm and serene, we slowly changed it to Coopernikis as the guy loves to "Stare into Space"

Poor guy had to have all his teeth removed they were SO disgusting (and his breath - PHEW!) plus he's on tramadol and metacam for his wonkly back end.

We don;t know how long he will be with us and I am dreading the winter as he is quite frail, but for now we are making sure he has everything he needs and is enjoying his old age and hopefully he has forgotten his past.

Meet Coopernikis...

P1020723.jpg

Edited by ChiliDog

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Such a sweet old face. :beatheart

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Congratulations on the new addition to the family. His health may slowly improve now, but I guess that depends a lot on how much care or lack of care was provided by previous owners. Hopefully he has many many good days left.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

He is fabulous. Whatever time Cooper has remaining, it will be the best time of his life with you. Thanks for giving him this loving care. More pics please??

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Yes, more pics please. He is adorable! :beatheart:beatheart:beatheart:beatheart Thank you for taking him in.

Dr. Rocket prescribes lots of scrambled eggs, cottage cheese and other things he can eat without teeth. He also wrote a double prescription for ice cream. :bgeorge

It has been too long since I heard the words " I digest..." Thank you! :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Teeth are all gone and he STILL loves his kibble albeit slightly mushy (but if Miz Boofay takes too long with her unsoaked kibble he will push her out of the way and dive right in LOL)

OK More pix:

P1020801.jpg

Tongue has nothing to hold it in anymore ;)

P1020824.jpg

P1020802.jpg

P1020797.jpg

Don't really have any of him standing up - he doesn't do much of that these days ...

Oh and he LOVES the ladies! Especially the ones wearing short skirts. He will kinda sorta attempt to get his needle nose under the skirt... he's our very own dirty old man :beatheart

:beatheart Coopernikis says "Who you calling Senior Citizen?" Dirty old man! You still got it, handsome!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

He is gorgeous and hopefully recover some of his strength in hind end. Thanks for giving him a home!

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

So glad you have him! He looks like a beautiful soul & as others have said he may get stronger with good food as I've been told by 2 vets older dogs need a higher protein food. Noelle can atest to this new food as she is much better now. Please give this boy a hug for me.

Guest MurphysMom

Oh his face :beatheart I could hardly get through the pics without crying, who could drop someone as sweet as him off? What a wonderful thing you've done, taking him in. He is so lucky to have you.