When Is It Time?

Guest houndgirl

Guest houndgirl

I'm so sorry. :(

You try all you can try. When you can't get any relief, then you have to start making decisions. I just let my girl go on Sunday. I will tell you it was clear in her eyes it was time. Even my teenage son noticed it.

We will keep you in our prayers.

I am so sorry for your loss! I am praying for you and your family too.

Can you find out what antihistamines are available in Croatia? We use a lot of different antihistamines here in the U.S. and most dogs tolerate them very well on a daily, long term basis. Some of the common over-the-counter antihistamines commonly used in dogs here are: diphenhydramine (Benedryl), chlorpheniramine (Chlor-Trimeton, Chlor-tabs), cetirizine (Zyrtec), clemastine (Tavist), and loratadine (Claritin). Hydroxyzine is also a good option for some, although it's a prescription product.

Have you tried oral steroids? Using steroid pills allows you to customize the dose to get a good response with fewer side effects than injections. When treating dogs with chronic, allergic bronchitis, I've found steroids, like prednisone, to be a lot more effective than antihistamines. Especially if euthanasia is the alternative, I wouldn't hesitate to put a dog on long term oral steroids if it provides relief from the clinical signs.

You have, above, the support of a veterinarian!

Hopefully, you can find anthistamines locally. Good luck!