Resource Guarding? Only With One Person

Guest lemon

Guest lemon

Tosh and I have been living with my parents for the past year and in the past few months Tosh has started barking and/or growling at my Dad when he walks by Tosh's bed to go into our living room. It doesn't happen all the time but it is fairly frequent. My Dad' response is that he is startling Tosh who is asleep and that's why it's happening. However, I don't think it's sleep startle. Tosh has never had issues with people going near him when sleeping before and the barking and growling is only occurring with my Dad. I walk much closer to Tosh when he's asleep (I even clip his toenails) with no problems. It seems to be more of a resource guarding behavior. I tried to convince my Dad to throw treats at Tosh every time he walked by but my Dad doesn't think it is necessary. My concern is that I see the behavior escalating. Today my Dad was asking me a question from the doorway of my room and Tosh (who has a bed near the door) was awake and growled at him. Before today all the barking/growling occurred only when Tosh was on his bed near the living room. I do not correct Tosh when he barks or growls. I wanted to see if anyone had any insight or suggestions. I'm thinking this may have something to do with how my Dad interacts with dogs- they simply do not listen to him. We had a miniature poodle and when my Dad walked him our poodle would simply refuse to walk and my Dad could not get him to walk. My mother and I never had any problems with this. I think my Dad just doesn't understand how to handle dogs (he's in no way mean to them- just clueless) and hasn't been willing to learn or be part of the training process.

Guest Memphsmom

I think your idea of your dad giving Tosh a treat when he walks by is a great one! My aunt had a ACD that was way to protective. She always kept treats for visitors to give to Abbie, it helped guests to make peace with her.

Edited by Memphsmom