Jump to content

Mushrooms In Your Yard* Please Read.


Guest MelF77
 Share

Recommended Posts

Guest MelF77

I am more of a lurker and this may even be my first post. I need to post this because it never dawned on me the dangers of mushrooms, I was very naive on the subject. I have my little man/pekingnese mix at Cornell right now. Per his test results he looks to be in end stage liver disease. A lot points to ingesting a toxin. He has NO access to medications, chemicals. I was racking my brain what it could be. We have a fully fenced in back yard with no tools out in the open or anything I "thought" my dogs could get into. The 1 thing we do have is mushrooms, loads of them in the back, and my dogs are not always attended when they get let out back. I started doing some reading on mushrooms and dogs and it is more common than you would think. Some mushrooms even put off a fishy odor, making it more enticing for an animal to possibly ingest. After ingestion, you have a small time window before it becomes too late, please look up the signs your dog may have ingested mushrooms, very similar to other toxins.

I can't be sure if his fast decline in health leading to liver disease was the cause of mushrooms because I never saw him eat one, but I want to make sure people are aware of the danger if you weren't already.

My little man was only 5 years and in perfect health last week. We have made the decision to have him put to sleep, unless the medicine team can come up with a plan that does not alter his quality of life too much, but it does not look good, waiting on a 11 oclock call for their diagnoses. I have accepted his very possible fate, but I do not want anybody else to have to go through this with their dog. Please share the importance of watching your dog around mushrooms or just doing routine mushroom removal in your yard if you have them. I did read a post dated 2014 concerning mushrooms and some owners keep a poop guard on their dogs when they go out, may seem like a bit of a hassle, but we can never be too careful. I should have been more diligent in watching him in our yard and he is paying the price now because I wasn't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So sorry to hear this. Sending prayers that your little one somehow can pull through.

 

Please don't beat yourself up. A lot of mushrooms aren't toxic, and it can be very difficult to keep a dog from nibbling odds and ends in the yard, even when you're watching closely.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest MelF77

Thank you everybody, I just wanted to make anybody that read this would be aware of mushrooms if they weren't already. Adding 1 more thing we need to look out for I guess.

I don't have any sugar subs in the house or buy sugar free stuff to eat. That's why I wondered if it may "be" the mushrooms, because that's all they really had access too. I did not realize the potential threat they posed until now.

In my case, it's too late, I got my call before 10am and they almost just lost him and weren't sure how much longer he would last. We luckly do not live too far from Cornell and left immediately after that call. My husband and daughter were able to see him to say goodbye and I think he was able to tell we came back and were there when he was put to sleep.

Not just the physical suffering he had to endure, but he did suffer from anxiety. I was his person or I will say he was my little hemorrhoid and all I could think was we r leaving him, does he think we are abandoning him at the worst time? I can't imagine what he was going through. I know there was nothing more I could do to help him in my house and he needed professional care though. Everybody at Cornell made this hard process go easier and I am thankful for that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm so sorry for your loss.

 

Godspeed, little one.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm so sorry for your loss. Hopefully you sharing will prevent others from going through the same thing. Unfortunately one or our clients lost their Cavalier to the same thing last year so it is definitely not unheard of, but it's not something you hear much about. :(

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm so sorry for your loss and thank you for sharing.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si). Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...