Question About Pill Capsules

Hello all! I have a quick question for you. I got some empty pill capsules to fill with a med that I need to give to one of my dogs. I was reading the packaging instructions and it says that they are made from a vegetable cellulose. Is my dogs Stomach going to be able to break that down and get the meds he needs? I recently got some Olewo Carrots anfd read that the Carrots are processed to breakdown that cellulose so the dogs get the fiber they need. Thanks in advance!

Hummm-I don't see that as a problem. You can always call a veterinary compound pharmacy to pick their brain. Try Wedgewood pharmacy--nice folks--I'm sure customer service could ask one of their pharmacist's for you.

yes, the capsules will break down in any liquid ... I use them occasionally when needed.

Just to check -- you're not thinking of putting the dehydrated carrots in the capsules, are you? the carrots will expand, cause some gastric distress! You'll want to rehydrate the carrots before giving them to your hounds (if your dogs don't like them, try rehydrating with chicken broth)

Read the label on most Hill's/Science Diet foods (h/d, I/d, j/d, t/d, w/d and treats among others) and you'll see cellulose as an ingredient. The senior and tarter Science Diet used to say peanut hulls but now they just label it powdered cellouse which can be anything from sawdust to peanut hulls to cotton. I certainly wouldn't worry about what is in a pill capsule.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

yes, the capsules will break down in any liquid ... I use them occasionally when needed.

Just to check -- you're not thinking of putting the dehydrated carrots in the capsules, are you? the carrots will expand, cause some gastric distress! You'll want to rehydrate the carrots before giving them to your hounds (if your dogs don't like them, try rehydrating with chicken broth)

Oh no! I didn't mean for the Carrots. LOL! We might have to give him Tylan powder and I'd heard that it was quite bitter and others tat have given it said they did so using empty capsules. We whip up those Carrots in some water and he gobbles them right down. Thanks for checking though.

Hummm-I don't see that as a problem. You can always call a veterinary compound pharmacy to pick their brain. Try Wedgewood pharmacy--nice folks--I'm sure customer service could ask one of their pharmacist's for you.

Thanks for the suggestion, I might give them a call next week.

I take a 1/2 slice of cheese and make a tylan sandwich for the hounds when they need it ... it goes down quickly and no issues with the taste. Much easier than filling capsules, in my opinion, but they'll also work too.

And good to know about the carrots (lol).