Cleaning The Ol' Private Area

Guest 18tjettagrl

Guest 18tjettagrl

Ok so we've ruled out UTI or any other infections. However trying to clean that area is not easy. This girl wants us to have nothing to do with it. She's gone as far as bit me, not hard but enough to let me know her displeasure. I had to put the cone of shame on to try again. She screams and scrambles. Suggestions on any other ways to get it at least loosened so it might be a quick wipe and done?

Guest chickenpotpie

Sorry to hear you're going through this! My girl is very easy going. We have a game; roll over and show me your tummy. She doesn't exactly like that I have to wipe her but she gets a treat after and its tolerable. If you have a muzzle, that may be a better way to go than the cone. Also making a game out of it and treating at the end (if your dog is food motivated) may also be the way to go.

I'm not sure what you are trying to loosen, but when I've had to clean my boys, I soak a facecloth in a warm water mix with epsom salts and wipe down completely, pretty much saturate the whole area (do this over anything not carpet while they are standing). Perhaps consider putting the mix in a spray bottle too? Muzzle if you have to so you aren't getting bit and distract on the front end with high value treats.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest 18tjettagrl

I've used a combo of your suggestions. My husband and I put her in the shower and did the peanut butter thing. She will go gaga for it. Turned the head of the shower downward and just let it soak the backend. The gunk caked around the outside of her little whoohoo (I just turned into my mother) started to losen. One quick wipe with a soft cloth and done. Treat for being a good girl afterwards. This girl HATES water. She was in a tighter space since our shower isnt very big at all. She couldnt whip around. Thank you!!!!