Is There An Auto Immune Disorder That Affects Their Feet And Is Not Sl

Guest Shermanator

Guest Shermanator

Travel is developing sores on her toes at the nailbed. The nails look good are are intact. I do not think this meets the criteria for SLO.

1. Her nails are short, to they aren't hitting the floor and jamming into the nail bed causing injury.

2. We've done nothing to the inside flooring of the house (like cleaning products or new flooring) causing an allergic reaction.

3. The bug guy has not been here spraying any chemicals in the backyard causing an allergic reaction.

She is getting hot soaks of betadine and Epsom salt twice a day. She's on clavamox, too. (She's been on the clavamox for 2 weeks). And through all this a new sore developed on the same paw.

I have no idea where this is coming from. Does this sound familiar with anyone?

We are back at the vet tomorrow.

Thanks!

Edited by Shermanator

Momma had something that may have been like that on two of her toes. The vet didn't know what it was and put her on doxycycline which did nothing. Sometimes I could flick a little dried dark material away from the nailbed with my fingernail. Anyway I went to one of my old reliable standby's Cowboy Magic Crud Buster. That kills viruses, bacteria & fungi-it is a great antiseptic. It worked. After a few days treatment-sprayed it on and rubbed it in once or twice a day-they basically got mostly well. I say mostly because the nails continued to have ridges in it them and/or be of poor quality but the active inflammation and irritation was gone. Every blue moon or rather every couple months or so I would notice it looked like it might want to be flairing back up and I'd squirt on the Crud Buster for a day or two and it would get well again. I believe I might have noticed an association between the condition and when I gave her fish oil caps so I also cut out the fish oil caps just to be safe. I suspected it may have been related to an allergy of some sort. It never was an issue or caused her any problems after the Crud Buster treatment. Had I not found & tried the Cowboy Magic Crud Buster though I fully believe it would have been an active issue with multiple useless and expensive vet interactions to try and clear it. Nothing magical about the Crud Buster formula- its just a well known antibacterial,antivirucidal, and anti fungal ingredient that is generally recognized as safe.

Could it be an allergen that she is picking up outside?

When I walk Rocket, I use baby wipes to clean his paws when we return. Everything here in the desert seems to be covered in a fine dust unless it rains. The baby wipe often has dark brown or black residue from the dust when I clean his paws. (Our walks are on sidewalks and some grass / tree areas - but the paws are definitely covered in this dust when we get back - you just can't see it until you wipe them.)

While not having any issue like yours, Rocket's allergies have been flaring and he was constantly rubbing his eyes and nose until I started his allergy meds again this week.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

one fall both of my greys ended up w/ fungus on the webbing. it looked different on each dog. one dog used otc fungus cream, the other the fungus was scraped off and we powdered it w/ medicated powder or spay. it was a while ago. it seems as if keeping the area dry- as in humans is the answer. it took around 2 weeks to clear up. w/ nail bed problems- like the picture above, medicated powder seems to do the trick. felix always gets sand toes and it looks like that. i clean it,epsoms salts, dry it and keep it dry w/ amen's foot powder.

Guest Shermanator

Does it look anything like this?

oct2011021.jpg

If so, let me know......I fought this on various toes over the course of a year or so before I got it straightened out.

Yes, it does look similar. What happened?

Fortunately she us not licking her feet.

Well, here's the thing.....we never did figure out what it was. Treated it for SLO, no change. Treated it for fungus,

no change. Treated with antibiotics, several kinds, topicals, jeez, I can't even remember what all. Oh, tried different

foods, too, thinking it might be a food allergy. He wore baby socks to keep those spots clean. At any one time, several

toes were affected. all on different feet. The vets were stumped.

I work at a vet clinic, and a drug rep came in for a lunch/learn for Atopica (cyclosporin) for skin issues. I showed him

photos of Desi's feet, and of course, he'd never seen anything like it, but offered me a few boxes of Atopica for free just

to try. Started out taking it every day, then every other day, then 3 times a week, etc. By the time the 3rd box was gone,

his feet looked much better. He finally got down to once a week, and stayed there for a whole year. By that time I was

buying it myself, and the stuff is expensive, so I tried weaning down even further, then would forget a dose or so, then

finally just quit.

Cyclosporin is an immune suppressant, so who knows what it really was, but it's fixed now. He's not been on it for several

years, and has had no further problems. Your guess is as good as mine, but it worked.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.