Xanax Dependency?

OK maybe this is a weird, or silly question, but can a dog get dependent (hooked) on something like Xanax? Between the monsoon thunderstorms and the upcoming fireworks, Conner has been on Xanax every evening for the last few days, and is likely to be on it for at least another week without a break. He'll probably be on it a lot over the next couple of months, it looks like we are in for an active monsoon this year. So, I started to worry. He needs to be on something, and this has really helped.

It appears so. http://www.vetinfo.com/side-effects-of-xanax-for-dogs.html

It looks like withdrawal may be the primary issue with continued use.

I don't know if the storm that we just had made it down to you on the way through, but the whole house was shaking here. Give him some ear rubs from me.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Ask your vet about trazodone. Only lasts about 4 hours. Mazy chills out when on it but isn't acting drugged. Works best when we give at the very first inkling of a storm. Although the pills are 50mg, we're now able to give 1/4 pill at, adding another 1/4 two hours later if it's becoming an intense storm.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Was thinking about this again this morning. I was wondering if a benadryl would chill him out enough to sleep through it. I know it's not the intended use, but when I've given it to Rocket for itching, he sleeps for a few hours.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Short answer is yes, but he will likely need to be on it continually (24/7) for several days. If you're just giving it once a day the drug will have a chance to clear his system before the next dose.

My Cash was on xanax before we tried Trazadone. I had always assumed she was "hooked" on it since she was on it every day, every 8 hours, for months. Then she had to go into the e-vet and be admitted to the hospital. They didn't give her her doses, even though I specifically told them she needed to have it and brought them pills to give her. She never had any withdrawal symptoms or anything we could identify as being an issue with not taking it, and even after coming home, she was much better with her anxiety. She was off all AA meds until a super big storm 8 months later. Then we switched to Trazadone and were really satisfied with her response.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Yes, he is just getting it in the evening if storms are predicted. Thing is, they often die out before they get to us (central Phoenix, heat island effect), except when they don't, and there is often very little warning. Last night I was checking the radar pretty frequently, looked like everything was going to miss us, then I happened to see a flash of lightening out the window. Got his thunder shirt on and about 10 min. later, the thunder started. If I had waited until then to give the meds, well, eventually they would have helped, but I'd rather they were already in his system.

I have emailed my vet to see hat she thinks, and I will ask about trazadone.

and the fireworks are already starting :(

Talked to my vet, she doesn't think it would be a problem the way I am using it because it is fairly fast acting and doesn't stay in the system for long. Whew!

Just be aware that if she takes it a lot or for a longer time, the faster acting the drug, the worse the withdrawal can be, because the brain isn't tapering off. Your poor baby, I wish we could somehow explain to them what's going on with the storms. We had to take Leo to Henry's vet appointment yesterday, he can handle the storms if we're with him but I think he'd lose it if we left him home alone.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.