Platelet Rich Plasma (Prp) Treatment For Arthritis Pain?

Is anyone familiar with this injection procedure (PRP) which reduces inflammation associated with arthritis (& for other conditions/injuries) which in turn reduces the associated pain with arthritis? Has anyone's arthritic Grey experienced good results from this procedure & if so, how long did it last?

My senior Girl, Molly, is almost 14 & has painful osteoarthritis in multiple joints on multiple legs. She has difficulties getting around now & all the meds (Gabapentin, Tramadol, Rimadyl, GlycanAid HA Factor, & more) she has been taking for some time now (years) doesn't seem to be relieving her discomfort as well as they used to. Her hinds legs are weak & don't always support her weight at times. I realize her days are numbered, but she is still eating fairly well (although pickier than usual!), is still spunky & playful at times, albeit short-lived. Her spirit is very much alive, but her body's ailments are holding her back unfortunately. Watching our Greys get old really sucks, especially when I feel so helpless.

Molly's vet recommended this procedure which would involve one injection in each hip joint (under sedation of course), using her own blood to make a platelet concentrated plasma. The vet said the anti-inflammatory effects last 6-12 months. As with most vet procedures, it is not a cheap treatment, ranging from $700-$1,000 depending on the number of injections needed (1 or 2). I've attached a link from the manufacturer of the product used to prepare the blood sample, etc. (see Protec PRP system)

http://www.pulsevet.com/protec-prp-system/about-protec-prp-system

Anyone who is familiar with this procedure & can provide some feedback or recommendations about it, I would greytly appreciate it!

Thanks so much!!

I didn't know they were using this on animals - more familiar with it for professional athletes, but it does seem to have good results for them. :dunno I would be interested in knowing your experience if you decide to go ahead with it.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly