Coconut Oil- How Do You Give It?

Guest chickenpotpie

Lucky loves the taste so she'll eat it on anything. when I brush her teeth, I smear a bit under the toothpaste because it makes teeth brushing time so much easier! :hehe It can get horribly dry here in the winter, so thats the time when I use it on dry spots directly. (just a little, you don't need much at all)

I've been wondering the best way too---and how much to give. Evangelina came to us with dry, flaky skin, and a pretty dull coat, so we've been giving some to her and Calvin (he's shedding a lot too). When it's not hot out, they like to just like the coconut oil when it's solid, but when it's hot, we've got liquid. Doug's adding the liquid to their food.

But how much is good? She's only about 45 pounds, and Calvin is about 70.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I just plop it onto their food- WDJ advised 1 teaspoon per 10 lbs divided into 2 daily doses. Reba is 60# so she gets 3 teaspoon in the am and 3 teaspoon in the evening. Never had a dog that didn't like it. Tell you what fixed Gilly Boy's flakey skin was Fresh Factors. It does need to be the extra virgin organic stuff- the cheaper refined products are ineffective. About the cheapest place to purchase are vitacost or swanson.

Edited by racindog

Coconut oil is a wonderful thing to add to the diet. It has amazing properites. Before I used Olewo carrots I would give them a spoonful and they would lick it off the spoon. Sometimes it would be solid, other times liquid. My boys love it.

Now with the Olewo carrots I add it to the water and carrots/beets and mix it all together. I put it in a bowl and they eat it up. I free feed the kibble so this is how I use it.

Guest Johberry

I give it straight out of the jar right after mealtimes. Enzo licks the spoon clean. I like the anti-bacterial properties in coconut oil. I attribute the daily brushing with DentaSure gel and the coconut oil to the lack of stinky doggy breath. (I also have a jar for myself used for daily moisturizing. Works better than any lotion or cream I've tried.)

I don't use it--I think it's just a new hype.

I agree. I'm trying to use the residual from the large jar I have. Kasey actually hates the stuff so Ryder is the one enjoying it for now.

I also add it to the water when I'm boiling pasta for them. Distinct taste. I don't like it personally but at least it's in there for them when I'm making it and another way to get rid of it.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest WildSparkler

My girl loves it, so she will eat it straight. Like others said, I use it to mix in with her Olewo carrots, and that works really well! I have rubbed a little directly on her skin in the really dry spots when it was bad. But be careful if you haven't done that before, a little bit goes a long way! Haha

Coconut oil is a wonderful thing to add to the diet. It has amazing properites. Before I used Olewo carrots I would give them a spoonful and they would lick it off the spoon. Sometimes it would be solid, other times liquid. My boys love it.

Now with the Olewo carrots I add it to the water and carrots/beets and mix it all together. I put it in a bowl and they eat it up. I free feed the kibble so this is how I use it.

You are so right. I give it to K9 Reba for allergies and it is rare she ever needs anything else. The anti-bacterial/ virucidal,/ fungal properties also have been helpful for healing various issues for humans and dogs. It certainly works great for us! Its certainly not a new thing either. Folks have been happily using it for many years.

I put black seed oil and brewer's yeast into their meals for 4 weeks, every day 1 teaspoon in the morning and in the evening, when they have a dull coat. 9

And after that I reduce to give it once a week. The result is a glossy and velvety coat.

And they get grated coconut for dinner every day, again 1 teaspoon.

I discovered that rubbing coconut oil in the fur makes them tasty to each other. I was always running around and talking....

"No, Col don't lick Andy. Paddy stop licking at Col." and so on...

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).