Treats For Dogs Dx'ed With Pancreatitis

My dad's dog recently had his first pancreatitis attack. He is now on prescription dog food but I wanted to ask if anybody gives their dogs treats that are safe for dogs with this problem. My dad is 85 years old and part of what he enjoys is being able to give his 2 dogs small treats after they go out, as he is eating breakfast, etc. He does not want to feed anything unsafe but misses being able to give them a little something. Thanks for any advice.

He could try Apple slices, canteloupe or watermelon - my dogs happen to love this stuff. One of my dogs loves the stem of romaine leaves and she also loves the european cucumbers. I can't make a salad without her right next to me wanting her share ....

We hold out a small portion (1/2 cup or so) of the breakfast kibble and use it for treats after potty breaks. We also use it in the treat dispensing toy at around lunch time when someone starts looking for a handout. This way, he's getting the food he is supposed to have without a bunch of extra treats.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Try PupCorn. I used to give that to my fox terrier who was on a prescription diet since he was 9 months old for bladder stones. Later in life he got pancreatitis from the rich dog food my greyhound Luka would drop for him. I actually talked to the scientist who created it. It is great for dogs on restricted diets. The company once set a case of it to every vet clinic in the US just to get the word out about it.

One thing I noticed- dogs either really, really love it or hate it. I would not have survived puppyhood with Scout had I not had it.

I used to buy it directly from the manufactor by the case.

I would think anything low in fat would be OK - NO GREENIES!!!! That's what set my dog off into a pancreatitis attack!!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

I have no firsthand experience with pancreatitis, but I do have a diet-controlled diabetic cat with similar dietary restrictions. He gets freeze-dried chicken breast as a treat (usually Halo Liv a Littles or Weruva Paw Lickin Chicken treats, but there are several brands with similar products safe for cats or dogs).

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart