Upset Tummy Woes With Iams Green Bag

We have always fed our greys IAMS green bag. About 3 months ago, Myrtle got sick. We thought it was the food so I emailed IAMS and they were great about it. They sent me a coupon for a free bag of food. I asked them at the time if they had changed the formula and she said they hadn't. I bought another bag of the green(STUPID, I know!) and she got sick all over again. We switched to the red bag(lamb and rice) and the upset tummy was over! I did not contact them again but it is strange that it didn't effect the boys, just her. There was even a bit of blood in her stools. Now it is like it never happened. I went through a whole box of rice before we thought of trying the red bag. Is anyone else having a problem with the green bag?

Green bag, large breed here; no problems. Try some home cooked oatmeal instead of the rice. It is much easier on the stomach. Unless the rice is overcooked it may go out the same way it went in, with no benefit.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Lygracilux

It works wonders for some, doesn't with others. Just like any other food, you gotta find the right one. There are so many different things in dog food, who knows maybe one tiny thing just isn't the same it could have caused a reaction.

It helped Fusions poo, but gave him sores in between his toes. Just stopped the Iams GB and the sores are already going away.

Guest Johberry

Totally understand your frustration and can empathize. Back when we were looking for a food that'd agree with our boy, boiled ground beef (with the fat drained) and boiled sweet potato mash with slippery elm bark powder mixed in helped his tummy reset. Then we'd try another brand and tummy upset again...on and off. Nutrisca was relatively the most successful but his poops continued to be inconsistent and soft. He was super sensitive to everything it seemed, so we finally gave up on dry dog food and switched to raw. We now have small, firm bouncing poop and our hound was finally able to put some weight on.

It takes a while, but you'll eventually find a food that works for your hound.

Personally, I suspect there isn't 100% consistency in dog food, but the inconsistencies are usually minor enough that it doesn't affect the dogs' intestines. Green Bag Iams stopped giving Annie nice poos. Adding Olewo helped for a few weeks but that benefit has gone. On another post someone recommended a kibble (can't remember name at the moment) that has worked for a few months on her dog. It replaced Green Bag Iams. Dog now has great poos.

Edited by Feisty49

My greys only liked the mini chunks too.

The Muttleys and the neighbors boxer all went off Iams at the time you posted. We didn't have tummy woes (Cody was found as a puppy eating out of a garbage bag) but they just ate it grudgingly. I just switched mine to Purina One then. We go back and fourth a 2-3 times a year.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

My greys only liked the mini chunks too.

The Muttleys and the neighbors boxer all went off Iams at the time you posted. We didn't have tummy woes (Cody was found as a puppy eating out of a garbage bag) but they just ate it grudgingly. I just switched mine to Purina One then. We go back and fourth a 2-3 times a year.

Are yours doing fine with it? We try to always have a back up plan for her. She is healthy as an ox but she has a super sensitive tummy.

I started using Iams about 13 years ago with my grumbly tummy colitis bridge kid Rex, Now I just have the terrier X and the collie/golden X. They could probably thrive on just about anything so it wouldn't be a valid comparison. :) I did feed the Purina One to Buddy and Bella the greys and they did fine with it. A lot of grumbly tummy dogs do well on fish based foods and there are lots out there. Purina Pro Plan makes a sensitive stomach salmon Rex could eat but his poops weren't as good as Iams.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Billysmom

Ok then. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one having a problem with the Iams Green Bag. I thought maybe Billy had gotten into the trash (and I just knew he didn't) or somehow ate something off the counter (again, knew he didn't), because he's had an upset tummy the last few days, and it started with a fresh bag of food! So ah HA, there's my answer! The first and second bags were great.... this third bag.... boooooooo!

Ok then. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one having a problem with the Iams Green Bag. I thought maybe Billy had gotten into the trash (and I just knew he didn't) or somehow ate something off the counter (again, knew he didn't), because he's had an upset tummy the last few days, and it started with a fresh bag of food! So ah HA, there's my answer! The first and second bags were great.... this third bag.... boooooooo!

Yes! It doesn't happen with each bag, just every so often. I will NOT use Green Bag again! She just gets too sick. I hope Billy gets better soon!

And I've noticed a change too. I only mix about 10% of Iams Green bag into her regular sensitive kibble and since getting the latest green bag those 'pudding poops' have come back. (Or could it be that the Summer and its many issues has come back?)

Looks like I'll have to go back to the expensive wet food trays with beef or lamb that score 4.5 on the dog food advisor!