Double Poo In The Morning - But One Not Outside.

Guest Erytheia3

Guest Erytheia3

My new boy is having quite the issue with establishing a routine. Just about every morning when I let him outside, he pees and takes a poo (as long as I am outside monitoring.) He then refuses to do anything else, even when I close the door, leave it open or stay outside with him. If I happen to leave him outside he cries and cries at the door.
Once he comes inside he doesn't have a set routine - sometimes he eats a little, sometimes he drinks a little, sometimes he begs to go back upstairs - but inevitably 10 minutes later he takes another poo by the door. He does it if I'm in the room, if I'm not in the room - he just does it. I have caught him in the act and scolded him - but he seems insistent on double pooing inside. Even if I let him outside again before he gets the chance to make a mess inside, he wont do anything outside - other than cry at the door or lay down in the grass.

Advice?

You might consider leash walking him in the back yard. Or if you are aware that he needs to potty about 10 minutes later that I would try another trip to the backyard. I think he is confused and needs more time and training.

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

He needs to be in the routine of going out immediately after he eats - every time - even if he already went out. We started this with Rocket from Day 1, and he goes right to the door after he eats, even if he only has a snack or treat in his bowl. The guys thrive on routine, it just takes a little time.

Also, you might want to do a long walk in the morning instead of putting him in the yard. A walk will get things moving and get him emptied out.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and LaVida I've Got Life.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia and Diva Astar Dashindiva 

As the human, you're responsible for setting the routine. Try to get him on an eating and walking and turnout schedule and stick to it. You may need to leash walk first thing, make sure he's emptied out (my dogs will *always* have more than one poo), then maybe feed, wait for 20-30 minutes, then do a turnout or short walk for urination. I'm not clear on if you're free-feeding, but if you are, you may want to stop that. Put food down, and he'll eat or he won't. After a few minutes, take it up, then set it back down at the next meal time. It should only take a couple of days for him to realize that "this is when I eat and if I miss the chance, I won't get to do it again for many hours!".

Also, you say you caught him in the act of pooing in the house and scolded him, but what have you done when he does it right? You need to be outside with him when he poos, shower him with praise and treats. The idea is that eventually he will associate pooing outside with good things and will want to poo only outside. Note also - when you scold him when he poos, it may have the effect of turning him into a secret pooper - i.e., he'll be afraid to poo in front of you. Pay close attention to him, do not let him out of your sight and try to pick up on his body language before he has to poo - then get him outside and praise/treat him like crazy :)

With my first dog it was, wake-up turn out, breakfast, wait one hour or so, take one hour walk, then another pee break before I'd leave for work. When I got home from work, it was pee break, dinner, one hour walk (when he was younger - as he got old, he didn't need the second walk any more, so it was either another turnout or a short walk), then a last pee break before bed.

With my current dogs, it's wake up turnout (one usually won't go out because he wants breakfast first :lol ), breakfast (often followed by turnout for the dog who wouldn't go out first thing :rolleyes: ). I go to work, but hubby works from home and gives them a walk around sometime between 7 and 9 am. They will then usually sleep most of the day, get another turn out, then dinner, then games or walks in the evening, then a final turn out before settling down for the night.

So find a routine that works for you both and do it. And by all means, leash walk leash walk leash walk, as much as possible.

Good luck!

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Agreeing with Turbotania that you should pick up his bowls if he doesn't eat within a certain amount of time.

Tether him to you to catch him in that "I want to poo indoors" moment.

Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella), Lulu the podenco andaluz, Rita the podenco maneta
Angels: Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Erytheia3

I have two Greys though, and the other is just a grazer and always has been for 2 years now. I fear that she wont catch onto the "i must eat now" philosophy!

Also, i praise him immensely when he poos outside. Unfortunately he is not a treat lover. He doesn't like typical dog treats, or carrots ect. I may have to make some organic peanut butter bumps or something for him.

Alarms never worked for me to be an early riser, perhaps i have found my only alarm that will ever work! A double pooer in the early morning!

I have to leash walk mine EVERY single morning or he just won't do all of his business. If I stick him out in the hard he just stands there and eventually whines. He poops at the beginning of the walk but then almost always goes again by the end. You may want to try doing a short walk to see if that "clears out the system" completely. Many greys seem to have to go more than once on a walk.

I have two Greys though, and the other is just a grazer and always has been for 2 years now. I fear that she wont catch onto the "i must eat now" philosophy!

Also, i praise him immensely when he poos outside. Unfortunately he is not a treat lover. He doesn't like typical dog treats, or carrots ect. I may have to make some organic peanut butter bumps or something for him.

Alarms never worked for me to be an early riser, perhaps i have found my only alarm that will ever work! A double pooer in the early morning!

Your other dog will catch on - you won't know until you try for a few days :)

Remember, up until he came to live with you, your new guy was on a regimented schedule, he is probably a bit lost right now. Most greyhounds looooove routine.

Treats - try human food: cheese cubes, chicken bits, etc. Some dogs take a bit of figuring out. I had a foster once that wouldn't take anything until she discovered beef jerky <_<. Keep at it and you'll find his kryptonite. In the meantime, keep him close by and in your sight so you can get him out before any more accidents. Good luck!

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire