Mikey 5/30/02 - 6/20/15

macoduck

Sweet, sweet Mikey joined us on Thanksgiving Day.

At age 12 his long-time owners needed to get rid of him so they could stage their house to sell it. Mikey and his 9 y.o. greyhound sister had to go. In my opinion, the dogs enhanced the house. The owners were hoarders of junk. These 2 dogs were the only things of value inside. Mikey's sister landed herself a wonderful new owner.

He was nervous his first day but settled in quickly.

018_zpsmyz0igco.jpg

His confidence grew.

002_zpsdd3843b6.jpg

He loved a blankie on chilly nights and never moved once covered.

a0a79626-068c-4ba9-896b-da563654576c_zps

He loved Jan's cookies, Burpdog cookies and the dehydrated fruits he'd received as a gift.

7c2a750d-a584-40f5-99cd-2aa0a9752369_zps

014_zps88290160.jpgad7b73ae-98bd-4b82-8b4a-dc007209717a_zps

For an old guy Mikey was in fairly good health. He had an odd spell in February and although we were thinking liver/kidneys, it turned out he had extensive lung cancer. Dr. Couto agreed. He acted more like a young dog some days and old days on others, but never a dying dog.

91bd859a-4d9c-41a3-85bb-4a9341263dc6_zps

Mikey was terrified of thunderstorms. Trazodone was a tremendous help, but for the past few days we were having had loud thundering storms for hours at a time. None of my other tricks for thunderphobia helped. Last night he had a horrible, constant cough for several long minutes. He was unresponsive, quivering from the thunder, pulse erratic, gums pale. Going to the e-vet in a storm was not going to happen. During a break in the thunder I was able to give him another dose of trazodone and get him to a darker room.

I expected him to be gone this morning, yet with sunny skies he bounded up ready for breakfast. The day was good until he would not put weight on his right wrist. It was swollen. And then the thunderstorms started again. He was starting to panic and would not be able to tolerate a night of stormy restlessness and pacing. It would have been cruel to make him put up with the trifecta of lung cancer + storm terror + plus unable to walk on a painful wrist. Fortunately the e-vet is only 3 minutes away. They were slammed but got us right in and immediately gave him a strong dose of the calming pre-euthanasia drug.

As the thunder loudly boomed directly overhead, Mikey slid into a comfortable sleep. Breathing gently, peacefully, and no longer bothered by the growing thunder. He slipped away easily with the final injection.

When I returned home my DH told me Mazy (for the first time ever) had freaked from the thunder. The timing seemed to match the loudest booms while Mikey was passing. I let her sniff the blanket I'd brought to the e-vet until I could bear it no more and put it in the washer.

045_zpsjucxragd.jpg

We had 6+ months filled with amusement and love from a very special boy. Run free Mikey. Go sniff and pee on all the girly pee over the Bridge.

Jan will be adding a video for me....

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Ducky, your sweet handsome boy. I am so, very sorry he had to go. The best time of his life was with you and your family :grouphug

Godspeed Mikey. You were a great old man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=AfLZvW0ohXI

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Ducky, I was dreading this post. I'm so very, very sorry, but so happy that you found each other.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Ducky I am so sorry that your special boy had to leave you so soon. Run free Mikey, there is peace and comfort and no thunder boomers where you are now.

Hugs,

Carol Ann.

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Sweet, old boy...

I was hoping he'd last just a little longer for you but you did good by him

and let him go when you knew it was his time.

He was deeply loved in his last months by caring people that took such

good care of him and let him live out his last days in happiness and joy.

Bless your hearts for making it possible.

Rest well pretty little one, and remember the ones down here on earth

that will miss you so deeply.

God bless you for taking in Mikey when he needed you most. All dogs should be as loved in their last days as he obviously was.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :grouphug

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Ducky I'm sorry! You gave Mikey the best home he ever had for the last 6 months of his life. Run free Mikey, there are NO thunderstorms at the 'Bridge.

:grouphug

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Thank you for taking in Mikey and helping his sister. I have loved reading about him and seeing his pictures.

Run free, Mikey. f_yellow

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest AimeeBee

I'm so sorry :sad1. I was thinking of Mikey this afternoon, checking his thread and hoping today was a "good day".

He was blessed to have your family for the last chapters of his life, thank you for loving him. I hope you all find comfort and healing.

What a lovely tribute to a sweet soul.....he was so blessed to have had the love you gave him for his last six months....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest PiagetsMom

Even though I've been following Mikey's thread, I'm still so sad to see this. You gave him much love, and I know he gave you his love in return. I'm so very sorry that he had to leave you so soon, both for you, and for him :grouphug