Don't Think He Has Bloat, But Need Reassuring.

Guest Billysmom

Guest Billysmom

Ok, so I totally don't think so, but I'm just a NERVOUS WRECK when anything different "happens" with my little buddy, so I figured I'd ask.

Today Billy was outside longer than he should have been. TOTALLY MY FAULT, and I feel like the worst mom in the WORLD. I got busy moving furniture around in the house, and since he doesn't bark to come in, I just didn't think about it! His spot where he lays outside, by the opening to the underside of the house, read 87.6 degrees... not horrible, but still, it was probably 45 minutes that he was out there. :(:(:(

ANYWAY, when he came in, it took me probably 20 minutes of cooling him with cold water in the shower to get his panting slowed down. Then I trotted him out and stood him over the air conditioning vent, which he thought was the greatest thing ever by the way. I checked his temperature after I cooled him and it was 98.4 to 98.6. Oh, and he stood through everything. He was never "woozy" or exhausted and couldn't get up kind of thing.

After only maybe 5 minutes there, he was thoroughly back to normal and ready to PLAY!???!! I wanted to oblige, but instead gave him a quick once over exam. When I came to his belly, I pushed on it slightly and out came the biggest BURP you've ever heard from a dog. Obviously he'd ingested a LOT of air from all the panting. And THAT'S where the bloat question comes in. The big ole burp, plus the heat, makes me wonder if he's ok.

As I type this, he just did zoomies around the yard, and then pooped a huge pile.

I don't see any protrusions from his sides... just his normal ribs showing, and nothing different below. He's acting totally normal, and just wants to eat and play like any other day. Does he sound ok .... THIS TIME???

Signed.... THE WORST MOTHER EVER.

Sounds like he's fine. I would just keep an eye on him for any changes if he's acting normal.

Here's a reference chart for the symptoms of bloat. We keep a copy of this on our refrigerator just in case. http://www.bmd.org/bmdcr/bloat_chart.pdf

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

As she said above. You're not the worst mommy in the world. We've all done something. I forgot about Annie in the backyard a couple of Christmases ago. It was about 20 degrees. She too was outside about 45 minutes. She too never barks. Somebody asked,
"Where's Annie?" OMG.. she's outside. She was doing zoomies so she was happy. I felt bad but she was fine.

A bit of advice: Relax. Greyhounds are special but they're still dogs. Chances are really good you'll never break him, but he will sense your insecurities and he needs to know you know what you're doing (even if you have to fake it) so he feels secure.

Guest Billysmom

THANK YOU. He's crashed out now, since he did his zoomies. Only difference is, now that I've introduced him to the air conditioning vents, I don't think he'll be giving those up, like, ever.

I just feel SO BAD!! I mean, he TRUSTS me for EVERYTHING. :( And he IS upset with me, because he will NOT come get in my lap like he usually does. :(

I'm figuring out the posting of photos so I can show y'all his beautiful "little" self.

THANK YOU. He's crashed out now, since he did his zoomies. Only difference is, now that I've introduced him to the air conditioning vents, I don't think he'll be giving those up, like, ever.

I just feel SO BAD!! I mean, he TRUSTS me for EVERYTHING. :( And he IS upset with me, because he will NOT come get in my lap like he usually does. :(

I'm figuring out the posting of photos so I can show y'all his beautiful "little" self.

You lap is warm. He now prefers the AC vents!

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Sounds like he is fine! I think at this time he is not mad at you, he is valuing the air conditioning vents more than his cuddling with you!

Brady is my furnace and during the summer spends less time cuddling cause he gets hot. It is really hard not to put human emotions on our dogs but they really live in the moment. He is learning to love and trust you.

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

I wouldn't worry. Sounds like he is fine. Once we forgot Teague outside after a Christmas party and it was -20 out. He wasn't out for long, and was totally fine, but we all make mistakes.

I am sure your dog isn't mad at you, they forget things about 10 seconds after they happen. In fact, he probably didn't even associate you as being the reason why he was hot outside.

Probably not bloat. If things are coming out both ends, it's probably fine, it's when things don't come out that's the problem.

Also, remember a dog's normal temperature is warmer than a human's - about 101-102 degrees, so you don't want to cool him down too much, too quickly.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest FordRacingRon

Probably not bloat. If things are coming out both ends, it's probably fine, it's when things don't come out that's the problem.

Also, remember a dog's normal temperature is warmer than a human's - about 101-102 degrees, so you don't want to cool him down too much, too quickly.

I was always under the impression bloat is caused by a build of of gasses in the stomach due to it being twisted. If a dog belches and passes gas,,then I would assume that bloat is not the culprit. I big old belch and farrt should make that puffed out gut shrink,,just like mine does !

Just echoing what others have said! Don't beat yourself up.....we've all had our moments.....

My JJ is hoping to see you back in the club!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Many racing greyhounds spend about their first year outside. Even though South Carolina is hot, he's probably been longer in hotter.

Classic "first child syndrome". When you get your second grey, you'll be laughing about this. :)

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I keep Gas-X (coated and without sorbitol) on hand just in case. It'll help settle rumbly tummies too.

Since your boy likes sleeping on the AC vents, by chance is he wearing dangling dog tags? They can get caught in the vent.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Relax. And if you can afford one, a Dyson Air Multiplier is a lovely (safer) addition to doggy comfort. No blades to get caught in or to cause problems if it gets knocked over. (but expensive, so find a good sale or consider one of the tv shopping channels, since they often have them on sale with monthly payment plans).

And pictures of your beautiful boy are always welcome!!

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

dont worry. I had a black hound, Jesse, and she LOVED to sun herself. it would be 95 degrees outside and we would find her sleeping outside in the middle of the back yard sunning. We have a doggie door and she just loved being outside in the sun. Black dog and sun make for one hot doggie! She never had any issues.

Guest Billysmom

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!! Billy is fine. Back to his normal FARTING self. :whiteflag GOD, Billy, I GIVE UP!! You can have whatever you WANT, just STOP FARTING!!!

Don't feel bad all. If it were bloat he would wouldn't be laying down sleeping. Glad he's learned the joys of AC! 😄

Funny story to make you feel better: I walked my heart boy Dart, brought him in and he would t settle down. I thought it was bloat so I called the vet and told them we were on our way (4:30 on a Friday). We get there and Dart pukes all over their floor. He was fine, just an upset tummy. 😏