Sore Paws

Guest Echelonvicky

Guest Echelonvicky

Since we rescued our beloved Elvis (promise we didn't name him) he has had sore paws. They give him a limp and look as if they have puncture marks on the paw. Our vet thinks it may just be a stone or thorn and has given me meds to take down the swelling but not sure if his paws are just not toughened up yet. He is an ex racer. I am bathing them in salt water and there is no discharge from the paws. Any ideas what could be causing it or what can help.

Thank you

Hi and welcome to gt! Your first greyhound??? You might want to post under the health and medical forum to get quicker answers, but it works here fine. Sounds like the vet is keeping tabs on Elvis (and I LOVE the name - my era :). We went to the mid America greyhound gathering in Abilene, is a cole weeks ago and a trainer was there talking about how they checked their paws after races for sand from the track getting up around the cuticle - interesting - maybe episode salts foot bath?? Someone else with knowledge will chime in here soon - just wanted to say hello and welcome

Guest Echelonvicky

Thank you guys, yes will post it on the medical forum. Yes Elvis is our first greyhound, he is 5 (can't yet work out how to change my details!) we have a labrador as well, I'm sure Elvis now thinks he's a lab! Thank you for the advise im bathing his paws daily. Such a pampered pooch!

I noticed that some of my hounds had tender feet when I first got them but they toughened up in time without incident. If it is real sore I would be checking for corns. If you feel they are so sore he needs some assistance you can put Therapaws on him and/or spray Tuff-Foot on his pads. Tuff-Foot WILL toughen them if its just plain sore feet and not corns http://tuffoot.com/

Many places sell it including Amazon. It will stain so it is usually best to appy before they go to bed at night so they are not walking around staining your floors.

Since you mention your vet saw puncture marks, did he/she consider a snake bite?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png