Please Welcome Ken!

I'm thrilled to announce that I have a handsome new greyhound lying beside me on his bed as I type this - not a replacement for Doc of course, but another dog who needed a home and who will hopefully enjoy what's on offer here.

Ken turned four last month and is black with a few white markings (hind paws, chest, etc) and a little smaller than Doc was, but still a big boy. And beautifully put together, I must say – he has been recovering from a foot infection but looks fit as a fiddle and has an especially amazing tail, long and very flexible.

So far he has been settling in very well. A kind friend drove me down to pick him up from the adoption kennels yesterday morning. For a dog who’s probably never been in a house before he’s been sussing everything out very quickly, mastering the stairs in minutes and remaining totally unfazed by the TV, washing machine etc. He slept in my bedroom last night - it took him a little time to settle, but when I woke and sat up in bed in the night and peered down towards his bed there he was, not only fast asleep but happily roaching! And I am also glad to report that he eats like a horse, walks nicely on the lead, and has very polite about meeting various human neighbours, a lab, and a staffy on our walks round the neighbourhood. Somewhat to my surprise he's also been very good about being left on his own - for a few minutes yesterday and then for half an hour this morning - when I came back in today he'd obviously treated it as an opportunity to run upstairs and crash out on my bed.

So far there has only been ‘ohmihgawdwhathaveidone’ moment – that was yesterday afternoon, when he plunged not once but twice into the garden pond AFTER I had given him a bath, presumably his version of a ‘dirty protest’!

Photos are obligatory I know – sorry about the quality of these, black dogs are a new challenge for me. Soon after arrival:

Ken%20day%201%20003_zpsono3mijf.jpg

Playing with one of Doc's old teddies:

Ken%20day%201%20002_zpsilht3q4p.jpg

This morning, on his bed beside my desk and looking a bit more relaxed – note his blingy new house collar, which arrived today courtesy of ebay. Black dogs dress up well!

Ken%20day%202%20007_zps18o7usir.jpg

His racing name was Boomtown Ken and like Doc he is Irish by origin, but with some American blood in there too, and a racing career here in the UK: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1912115

Clare and Ken xx

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

:yay Welcome home, Ken!! What a stunningly handsome and clever fellow you are. I'm looking forward to more pics and stories as you settle in, although it already seems as tho you have been home for longer than a night or two, good boy!!

I love your house!!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Congratulations! :wub:

Wishing you many happy times together.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

What a handsome boy! I love his happy face. :beatheart Ken sounds like a real charmer. There will be many wonderful days ahead for the both of you.

Congratulations and Welcome Home Ken!

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

He is gorgeous. Congratulations!

Ken, you have hit the jackpot!

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Congratulations Ken and welcome home! You are going to love it!

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Congratulations on your handsome new boy! Tall, dark, and very handsome!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

WOOHOO! Welcome home Ken, and congrats to you both! Wishing you many many many years of happiness together! (And not too many protest dips on the pond!)

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

Congratulations!

He looks delighted to be home. :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)