Oh No.. What Have I Done?!

Guest Fudgetastic

Guest Fudgetastic

Took Mr Fudge out on a new walk yesterday, but got lost on the way home (it's a new neighbourhood to me) and ended up walking easily double the distance that he has been used to. For those who don't know, he's only a week out of race kennels after he was forced to take early retirement after falling on-track and breaking his right hock.

Today, after that walk, I got up to see to my crew and Fudge is walking with a bad limp on his front left. He is bearing weight on it but clearly prefers not to, and is jumping onto the sofa with it as well as walking on it when he has to, and I've been all over it with my hands and he doesn't yelp or pull back to the touch. He's not crying or wimpering, even when we walk.

Could it be I've just overstretched him due to being lost? I'm going to rest him today and see how he goes, and if it doesn't improve I clearly will take him to our vet, but I'm just looking for a little reassurance. :( New grey-mummy worries!

Check his foot pads for any cuts or corns.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Check his nails. If they're too long, he could be hyper-extending his toes when he walks.

Also, as macoduck said, watch for corns. They might not produce a reaction when you examine his foot (dogs can be too stoic for their own good), but see if he limps more on hard surfaces (concrete, asphalt) than on soft (carpeting, grass). Also, you can wet the pads: corns often show better then. If you can't see anything, a corn is still a possibility because corns often will be painful before they break the surface of the pad.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Fudgetastic

Well, being the fussy mummy I am, I rang round a few greyhound friends and one of my friends came to my rescue! She found a small cut on one of the digits of the paw and we're all sorted with cream and rest!

Phew... fussy mummy panic attack over

So glad that Fudge is on the mend, nothing like greyhound friends helping out!

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

So glad that Fudge is on the mend, nothing like greyhound friends helping out!

:nod

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown