Whimper While Pooping

Guest Erytheia3

Guest Erytheia3

Hey there!
This weekend I brought a new sweet boy to his forever home! I took home with me a bag of the food that he was eating at the fosters to mix with the food we feed our current grey. As expected, his poo was a little runny when we mixed a bit of the new with the old. The problem is that he whimpers every time he poops! The poops are now solid, yet he still whimpers. We have a vet apt set up for him in 3 weeks for his first full checkup, but I wanted to see if this was an emergency situation.

When I gently press his tummy, he has no pain and he eats and drinks like a champion. There are no small stones in the yard that he could be eating. He is active and races around the house when we are moving and naps when we aren't.

Ideas?

I've never heard of the whimper when pooping. That certainly sounds unusual. I'd have it checked out sooner than in 3 weeks. Could have a parasite perhaps.... I'm not sure what else it would be.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

He actually may need a stool softener, but I'm not sure what to recommend. My two have really firm poop, and occasionally the girl is uncomfortable when she starts to poop, but it doesn't happen often, so I haven't treated for it.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Is he licking at his butt / tail area?

Could be the anal gland being irritated or may need to be expressed. If you can get him in sooner it would be worth checking out to relieve any discomfort and check for infection, etc.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I had a boy who in general was a "talker". One of the things he would do is while he was doing his "I gotta poop, where should I go?" dance, he would whine the entire time until he pooped. It was the funniest thing ever!Did it his entire life. Definitely rule out any problems but maybe your boy is also a "talker?'

Guest Erytheia3

Thank you for all the comments! He is a talker now that I think of it! He whimpers when you leave the room to where he can't go and he whimpered when he set his head down really hard and missed the dog bed. He could be super sensitive! I will try to get him into the vet sooner because I want this beautiful baby to adjust comfortably to his new home. I will also look at his anal glands when I get home, but I did not know that Greyhounds were prone to that particular issue.

And, does anyone know? Can greys get hemorrhoids?