Sleep Howling--Not The Usual Dream Stuff

OK, so every grey we have had is a noisy sleeper to some extent. Growling, barking, whining, running, kicking etc. We have seen it all.

Minnie has done something several times that I have never heard before. It is always in the middle of the night. We are all dead asleep...including Minnie. She howls. It sounds like something primal. It is one long continuous howl....it seems to last about 10 seconds non-stop. It is not a roo. It sounds almost melancholy. The first time it happened I switched the light on and called her name. She was awake by this time and seemed fine. She does this every few weeks.

Has you grey done this? Once you hear it, you never forget it. She is the first hound of 6 that we have had that has ever done this. I would love to get a recording but chances of that are slim. It doesn't seem to coincide with her active dreaming.

greytalksignatureresized.jpg

Only my girl Gracie would do that. Not often but enough to give me goosebumps.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Raven did that a few times and it always scared us awake. It was eerie - we called them "ghost howls."

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

My Shiba Inu mix did it once, I thought there was a coyote outside my window, butBut she was on the dog bed in my room. She woke herself in the middle of it and looked sheepish, went back to sleep.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014