Greyhound And A New Baby!

My son and his wife are expecting their first child very soon. They have a greyhound, and we had two greyhounds while he was still in my house. So he is well experienced. What I am concerned about is something they have been doing in their home. Everything is set up for the baby, all the new bells and whistles, car seat, baby swing, etc. They have been putting stuffed animals in, for example, the car seat and let their greyhound try to pull the stuffed animal out of the seat, or swing. The grey is pretty active and a jumper. Is their anything they should be doing to ensure good behavior when they bring their new baby home? Their baby girl greyhound has had one bite on the face to my son and he required stitches on his lip. So there is one bite already.

Any advice. Thanks so much. I have used this forum previously throughout my many greyhound years and have always found it extremely helpful. I never had little children in my home when I adopted my greyhounds.

Guest Scouts_mom

There is a book called "childproofing your dog" which I highly recommend your son and his wife read. It covers getting the dog ready for the babies arrival.

Oh and Congratulations Grandma!

I have a 15 month old son and found that book to be helpful. Bella pretty much ignored Colin when he was tiny - now she tolerates his petting her, he's been taught to stay off of her bed, and she is loving post meal cleanup.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

They have been putting stuffed animals in, for example, the car seat and let their greyhound try to pull the stuffed animal out of the seat, or swing.

So they have been setting it up for the dog to steal things out of the "baby's" areas? If anything, they need to get the dog accustomed to all these new things and know that they are Not His.

We ended up having to remove stuffed-animal like dog toys from the house so that the dogs could have rubbery toys while the baby's soft-toys were not to be touched.

We had a very easy transition to having a baby and were very good at still giving he dogs attention and not shoving them away, but inviting them in to sniff etc.

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).