Lifting Harness Options For Senior Female

Guest greycrew

Guest greycrew

I was wondering what the favorite harness is for senior greys. I have a 13 year old (Rapunzel) that won't do steps anymore. Lots of hind leg weakness. We actually thought we would lose her in Spring, but gave her several rounds of Adequan which worked wonders! It's wearing off now, though. Home life is no issue - I bought her an Orvis tempurpedic bed and I sleep downstairs on the sofa next to her. (She used to sleep with me upstairs) No steps to go outside. However, in the summer months we spends most weekends in our RV. It has 4 steep steps to get in/out. I can help her in, but we have to carry her down the stairs because she tries to jump right out avoiding all steps and she will fall. She's not strong enough to do that so we carry her. We just bought a ramp which she seems OK with at home. We have one step into the kitchen and we are training her there. But, I'm afraid it's going to be too steep in the motorhome and I'm guessing she won't go near it. I'm researching harnesses to help her in/out or with ramp or even with a carry assist. BF has bad knee - I have bad arm!

I see a lot of people using Ruff Wear Web Master so I'm wondering if that's best or maybe the Ruff Wear Double Back or Help em Up Harness? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

I cannot say enough good about the Help 'Em Up harness that I used with Foster Sweet. Hugs to Rapunzel.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest greycrew

Haha love the failed fosters. Can I ask what size you ordered for Sweet? I see on their website you can merge 2 sized if needed. Rapunzel is getting thinner in her senior years...

I love the webmaster, great for helping. But, I haven't used all the others.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Haha love the failed fosters. Can I ask what size you ordered for Sweet? I see on their website you can merge 2 sized if needed. Rapunzel is getting thinner in her senior years...

I can double check but Sweet's was maybe a medium She was only ~62# but a long girl. The Help Em Up is in two pieces so you can use the front harness without the rear leg part if necessary.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

We used a carelift full body lifting harness. SHe was 14.7 and needed assist with the back end for sure. It has 2 handles and was like lifting a suitcase if needed. She did look a bit like she was a dominatrix when wearing it ??!! It is a Solvit product and was a medium for 35-70 lbs.

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

Guest greycrew

Rapunzel is about 62# as well so medium sounds right. I'm going to look up the carelift also for the hind leg weakness. From looking at the webmaster it looks like it's just for the front of the dog. But, they have that double back also with 2 handles.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone! Love this forum. :)

I love the webmaster. My vet was impressed with how anatomically appropriate it is for greyhounds.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Yes, just the regular webmaster. Double back would be for if you wanted to go rappelling :) .

Although, I haven' t looked at double back for the kind of condition you have so it might be best.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest BlueCrab

We used the Ruff Wear Web Master for our old guy Leyland who just passed away recently. It got to the point where we left it on him all the time and it was invaluable for helping him get up off his bed and to make the one-step transition into and out of the house for his walks. I would HIGHLY recommend it! He was a big guy (non-grey, 80+ pounds), so if we'd had to lift him without it we would have been worn out quickly.

Good luck!

I cannot say enough good about the Help 'Em Up harness that I used with Foster Sweet. Hugs to Rapunzel.

Another vote for this one. It was a godsend when Doodles had an FCE last Dec. I still use the front half of the hands to lift her out of the car...no more jumping out!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest peacehound

I absolutely love our ruffwear harness for Peace, she is 13 and has used it for the last three years. She is 68 pds and really easy to help up steps with the harness.

Guest greycrew

Thanks everyone for all your replies. I ordered the ruffwear harness which was available to ship quickly as I needed it for the weekend. It is really well made. It was a great help to help her go down the ramp, but her back end was still a bit all over the place. Definitely still took 2 of us to help her, but it's really handy. And she looks adorable in it. If I can remember how to post pics here I will. I may try the help em up as well to see if I can then handle her on my own with it.

Glad it's helped somewhat if not perfectly. Gentle hugs for your sweetheart :wub: .

• 1 month later...
Guest greycrew

Just wanted to post an update. I ended up returning both harnesses. She didn't like them at all, but she LOVES being carried down the steps. So that's what we do! Whatever the girl likes! Haha

Batmom I see some Oneco heritage in your dogs. Rapunzel is Oneco Rapunzel! :)

Aw, Rapunzel :wub: .

Yes, my angel Joseph was an Oneco Cufflink son. Not much related to Rapunzel, but the Oneco dogs all had the same breeder I think.

Glad your baby is willing to be carried!

If you are willing to try another, Godsgreyts on Etsy makes custom sized ones. I have one for Kasey that came in handy on his weak days. It can remain on 24/7 although I found he was uncomfortable with it on as he was laying down. I was able on a few occassions to put the harness on when he was laying down.

Good luck with the carrying......don't throw out a back!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015