For Those Of You Who Had Puppies, How Much Did They Weigh At 9 Weeks?

Guest superfunk

Guest superfunk

I'm trying to get a feel for proper weight on Stretch (now 9 weeks old) and thought it would help to know what weights you had for your 9 week old puppy, maybe even what to expect week to week if you can remember. Were there particular growth spurts? Pics would be super helpful if you have them, too.

Right now he weighs 12 pounds. He looks too thin to me. I'm giving him the recommendation on the bag for Large Breed Orijen. He wolfs it down without chewing in exactly 60 seconds.

qkCBX1B.jpg?1

ZQjHzGJ.jpg?1

q3zmYI6.jpg?1

He does look a bit skinny to me, but puppies go through massive growth spurts where they look fine and they, all of a sudden they look like scarecrows. We didn't get ours until she was nearly 13 weeks old. She's a horse though an she weighed @20 lbs. She sprouted every 6-8 weeks or so until she leveled out around 2 years old. She's now almost 4 and weighs 84 lbs - big!

If he's a good eater, with no allergy or other food issues, you can add some canned food to the kibble, or cooked oatmeal, sweet/regular potatoes, pasta, rice, or other add ins to keep his weight up. Be careful of adding too much protein as you don't want him to grow *too* fast, as that can cause issues with his bones and joints later in life.

Lilly's four months old here and she probably weighs 30 lbs or so

Lilly23.jpg

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest superfunk

Thanks so much for these tips greysmom! I love the idea of the addins, I'll give that a go. What a pretty pup Lilly is, love the all white with the superhero cap :)

Kili was 5 kg when she came home just shy of 8 weeks old, and she put on about a kg per week for the first little bit, so I'd guess at 9 weeks she was probably around 6 kg.

I agree with greysmom, they go through spurts. They pull upward and get really thin and then they spend a week or two filling in and look much better. And then they pull up like a bean sprout again. Repeat.

This was about 8-9 weeks:

IMG_7622_zps337d901d.jpg

And a few weeks later

IMG_1855.jpg

4.5-5 months

IMG_8113_zpsaee10cce.jpg

6 months (not skinny but awkward and leggy!)

IMG_2247_zpsf5caf168.jpg

IMG_8312_zps6709d91e.jpg

Kili's worst phase was actually around 10 months old:

1077291_10100608834069649_1004934650_o_z

Feeding her more just gave her terrible diarrhea. She was active, she had a good appetite, she was happy... I just ended up having to wait it out and she filled in after a few weeks.

ETA: She's a small-average female with a lighter build. Final adult weight is 27 kg, but I keep my dogs pretty lean (healthy, but I don't keep an ounce of extra weight on them).

Edited by krissy

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

felix was skinny skinny for a long time. we got him at 7 weeks and every time he looked like he gained a couple of ounces he grew! and then got skinny again. we fed him a food w/ a moderate amount of protein, you want slow development in a large dog. no rocket fuel please(protein around 22%)! i did add either rice cereal(human baby food) or cottage cheese to his kibble and fed him 3xs a day until he was 4 months old. then i went to 2xs a day. it's a lot of pooping, but slow and easy w/ the feeding. somewhere around 6 months he was 40 some odd #s, at a year close to, but not #60, now his mature weight- which he hit around 3 or so is 78#s. felix at 12-14 weeks

https://picasaweb.google.com/115653217268393173790/January222014#5971714677927397538

IMG_1492.JPGIMG_1500.JPG

felix%252520attacks.jpg9 months old w/ his mom, cj. to this day she still gets the same greeting.

Guest superfunk

Whoops, I messed up my reply krissy, so will just add another. Thanks so much for this info and the photos. I feel so much better, Stretch looks a lot like the first photo. And the weight information helps so much.

Thank you greyaholic! Great info. Holy cow Felix looks huge in that last photo!

Guest WhiteWave

Pups can be hard to keep weight on. I have a different take based on my experience and visiting Greyhound farms raising pups. I would recommend to not feed large breed food, it usually has lower fat and calories for slow growth which is needed for some large/giant breeds, but Greyhounds do better on higher protein/fat food supplemented with lots of raw meat, cottage cheese, buttermilk, etc. I also found my pups did better on grain inclusive foods over grain free. I have raised several pups. Have a 5 month old now and had his brother for a week too before he was transported to the group taking him. They almost ate me out of house and home feeding 2 of them for week with them running like crazy energizer bunnies all day long. All my pups were raised on 30/20 or 30/25 performance foods and still eat the same as adults.

Pups can be hard to keep weight on. I have a different take based on my experience and visiting Greyhound farms raising pups. I would recommend to not feed large breed food, it usually has lower fat and calories for slow growth which is needed for some large/giant breeds, but Greyhounds do better on higher protein/fat food supplemented with lots of raw meat, cottage cheese, buttermilk, etc. I also found my pups did better on grain inclusive foods over grain free. I have raised several pups. Have a 5 month old now and had his brother for a week too before he was transported to the group taking him. They almost ate me out of house and home feeding 2 of them for week with them running like crazy energizer bunnies all day long. All my pups were raised on 30/20 or 30/25 performance foods and still eat the same as adults.

My breeder had also recommended a regular puppy food, not large breed. Seems like large breed food gets fed to anything with a mature weight over 50 lbs, but a Lab isn't really a large breed. I went with my breeders advice since she's raised greyhound pups for like 30 years. Kili seems to have turned out alright.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest WhiteWave

My breeder had also recommended a regular puppy food, not large breed. Seems like large breed food gets fed to anything with a mature weight over 50 lbs, but a Lab isn't really a large breed. I went with my breeders advice since she's raised greyhound pups for like 30 years. Kili seems to have turned out alright.

Labs are prone to being heavy and joint problems which is why many do well on Large breed food. Field Labs are usually fed performance foods, but they are also worked and not allowed to become walking foot stools. Danes I know need slow growth, but some newer studies I've read and talking with breeders, many are feeding higher protein and fat food as long as the food had moderate calories (around 350kcal/cup) without any growth issues.

i guess my vet is old school, he said adult food, moderate protein/fat. we also ended up dealing w/ giardia when felix was 6 months old- so, ate lots of rice as well. have fun watching the joints change and grow. felix would wake up in the morning w/ huge knobby joints in his legs- with in a couple of days- he grew into them. it's pretty normal but really weird looking. you can see what it looks like in lilly's pic, but the larger males knobs are more extreme.

Agree with all the above - I forgot to say, we were feeding Lilly adult food almost from the start. And, due to some other issues, we had her spayed early - at about 6 months - instead of waiting til her growth plates fused. If we ever have another puppy we will definitely wait a bit longer.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest WhiteWave

My vet has never given me food advise. He has asked me for food advise for their Greyhound blood donor dogs they keep at the office cause they had loose stool problems. My dogs look great and have damn near perfect blood work well into their teens. 11 yr old Frenchie's blood work perfect the other day. Not a thing out of whack. He said for his age, it was amazing.

New pup at 5 months

IMG_9453_zpsaypu5ef9.jpg

Riddick my first pup 9-10 weeks

Riddick3-1.jpg

Riddick 12 weeks

Mylittlehound.jpg

RnX.jpg

Riddick 9 months

RipleyandRiddick-1.jpg

Joey at 8 weeks

Handsomepuppy.jpg

Keenanlayingdown_zps2dc5a1cf.jpg

Joey 10 weeks

LRIgotsit.jpg

13 weeks

LR13weeks.jpg

16 weeks- become a Kangaroo

LRKangaroointhepalmettos.jpg

LRJoeyCaspernRonon.jpg

7 months

LRJoeyShowingoffhismuscles_zps788481c9.j

10 months old

LRJoeyandhiswubba_zps32345ca2.jpg

LRJoey10months_zpsbf155fea.jpg

11 months

LRJumpingJoey_zps024b7129.jpg

LRJoJo_zps156ca78e.jpg

1 yr old birthday party, not sharing his birthday toys

LRAttitude_zps7a37a222.jpg

I so enjoyed all these photo flashbacks of our GT puppies. :inlove

FWIW, Truman came at 15 weeks. He was a moose at 40+ pounds. Had a real hard time keeping weight on him from about 9-14 months. By that point, he'd grown into his body, but had not filled out at all. I fed him puppy food until about 6 months old, and he was neutered at exactly one year.

Lovely puppies!

This is reassuring my 1yr (today) muttpup is having one of those ribby phases at the moment just as I thought he looked good a few weeks ago, I think he's going to have similar build to a boxer dog.

I've found using kongs,trickle feeder like Kong wobbler or just scatter feeding has helped slow down meal times & uses some energy up.

I so enjoyed all these photo flashbacks of our GT puppies. :inlove

FWIW, Truman came at 15 weeks. He was a moose at 40+ pounds. Had a real hard time keeping weight on him from about 9-14 months. By that point, he'd grown into his body, but had not filled out at all. I fed him puppy food until about 6 months old, and he was neutered at exactly one year.

I miss Truman pictures! Do you have any to share with us? He is one of my favorites!

Where did you get your puppies from????

I'm trying to get a feel for proper weight on Stretch (now 9 weeks old) and thought it would help to know what weights you had for your 9 week old puppy, maybe even what to expect week to week if you can remember. Were there particular growth spurts? Pics would be super helpful if you have them, too.

Right now he weighs 12 pounds. He looks too thin to me. I'm giving him the recommendation on the bag for Large Breed Orijen. He wolfs it down without chewing in exactly 60 seconds.

qkCBX1B.jpg?1

ZQjHzGJ.jpg?1

q3zmYI6.jpg?1

where did you get your puppy from?

• 2 weeks later...

Joey at 11m leaping. Holy wow.

My vet has never given me food advise. He has asked me for food advise for their Greyhound blood donor dogs they keep at the office cause they had loose stool problems. My dogs look great and have damn near perfect blood work well into their teens. 11 yr old Frenchie's blood work perfect the other day. Not a thing out of whack. He said for his age, it was amazing.

New pup at 5 months

IMG_9453_zpsaypu5ef9.jpg

Riddick my first pup 9-10 weeks

Riddick3-1.jpg

Riddick 12 weeks

Mylittlehound.jpg

RnX.jpg

Riddick 9 months

RipleyandRiddick-1.jpg

Joey at 8 weeks

Handsomepuppy.jpg

Keenanlayingdown_zps2dc5a1cf.jpg

Joey 10 weeks

LRIgotsit.jpg

13 weeks

LR13weeks.jpg

16 weeks- become a Kangaroo

LRKangaroointhepalmettos.jpg

LRJoeyCaspernRonon.jpg

7 months

LRJoeyShowingoffhismuscles_zps788481c9.j

10 months old

LRJoeyandhiswubba_zps32345ca2.jpg

LRJoey10months_zpsbf155fea.jpg

11 months

LRJumpingJoey_zps024b7129.jpg

LRJoJo_zps156ca78e.jpg

1 yr old birthday party, not sharing his birthday toys

LRAttitude_zps7a37a222.jpg

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest superfunk

Thanks for all this great info! To follow up, turns out Stretch has giardia! It's been giving him unpredictable stools and making him thin. We've got the right drugs and he's on the road to recovery. should have some fatter pics to put up soon. Thanks again for all your responses, it helped me a ton. We also learned that he loves cottage cheese, and will eat (but doesn't prefer) green beans and carrots, thanks to your ideas in this topic. As he recovers we'll keep folding in these great nutrition ideas.

Where did you get your puppies from????

where did you get your puppy from?

Sorry, just now seeing your comment! Stretch came from a breeder in Colorado.