Training A New Pup

I adopted Joy 2 days ago. I've been thinking that I would like to do therapy work with her. I know she has to receive her Canine Good Citizen first. How long should I wait before starting to work on the training. Joy is 2 so I'm guessing age won't be an issue to begin training.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

Congrats on your new girlie!

I'd wait a few months and let her get settled into her new life before starting any 'formal' training.

St John Ambulance Therapy Dogs requires that a new dog be with the handler for a minimum of six months before the testing process starts.

And at this stage every day... heck! ... every hour of every day .... Is a new 'training' experience for Joy as she learns about life with you in her new home.

Therapy Dog 'work' is a 'Team' effort ... The dog and the handler need to be very bonded and work as a unit.

As you know, this can often take more time with our hounds than it does with 'regular' dogs.

Be patient... Joy will let you know when she's ready for 'formal' classes.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg