I'm New Here With A New Pup!

Guest Rubysmama

Guest Rubysmama

Hi! I've been lurking on these boards for a while and finally decided to introduce myself and my new baby girl! My names Anna and I have a 13 week old greyhound named Ruby. My husband and I fostered puppies for a local rescue group for the past 2 years and last summer also fostered 2 ex racing greyhounds (from the greyhound rescue) and just fell in love with the breed. We were planning on adopting one this summer when the right one came up. Then lo and behold- the non-greyhound rescue group we work with had 3 greyhound puppies surrended! They had a sad story- the so-called breeder (ugh) let Ruby and her sisters play with her year old Great Dane puppy unsupervised when they were 5 weeks old and they all got various injuries. Instead of being responsible for them, she decided to give them up so she didn't have to pay for vet bills. Don't get me started on people like her... But anyways- it worked out for is because we are so in love with our new little girl! These boards have been so helpful already and I'm sure I'll have lots of questions! I've been around dogs my whole life and we have two other ones (a shepherd/Great Dane and a heeler x) but it seems like Greyhounds are a little different! I think I figured out how to put up pictures, hopefully this works!

image_zpsijgkz7r5.jpg

PUPPY!!!!!! I can smell Ruby's sweet puppy breath from here. Oh, wait, did she nibble on the wall? :P Still cute!

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Rubysmama

The first pic is her at 8 weeks (the day we got her). Here is her at 10 weeks- she already knows how to greyhound!

FD49FB25-7E14-494D-B5C4-395DA963A9E5_zps

And this is her right now... Yes, the dogs are on the couch and I am sitting on the floor..

602DC2F9-1DB0-4845-A857-0ED94A89356C_zps

She's adorable! This is the age our puppy was when we got her. What a joyful and trying time!

How are your other dogs doing with having a puppy around?

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Rubysmama

PUPPY!!!!!! I can smell Ruby's sweet puppy breath from here. Oh, wait, did she nibble on the wall? :P Still cute!

She actually didn't do that! It was one of our old Foster puppies haha. Not that she hasn't tried!

Guest Rubysmama

She's adorable! This is the age our puppy was when we got her. What a joyful and trying time!

How are your other dogs doing with having a puppy around?

They're starting to accept her more now- they weren't too fond of her at first! The three of them are starting to interact more now, at first they just ignored her and she's try to play with them and they'd just growl. Now they let her cuddle with them :)

They're used to having puppies around (because of fostering) but they're in for a shock when this one doesn't go away after a while!

Oh, she's adorable! :inlove You don't have to say who the breeder is exactly, but is she an AKC greyhound, or from an NGA breeder? She's got those light eyes like my AKC boy Truman.

Edited by a_daerr

Guest Rubysmama

Oh, she's adorable! :inlove You don't have to say who the breeder is exactly, but is she an AKC greyhound, or from an NGA breeder? She's got those light eyes like my AKC boy Truman.

I'm not sure, she's from a backyard breeder so I don't know where she got her parents. They agreed to spay the mom though to avoid it happening again though :) Those eyes are so pretty, do you have pictures of Truman? Love that name btw!

Interesting! You don't see BYBs too often with greyhounds, unless they're breeding coyote hunting dogs.

Here's Truman as a puppy. His eyes were light blue then.

photo-2.jpg

When he got older, they got a little bit more yellow. They're still light, though. That's more common in the AKCs.

Picture1_zps70566799.png

Guest Rubysmama

Interesting! You don't see BYBs too often with greyhounds, unless they're breeding coyote hunting dogs.

Here's Truman as a puppy. His eyes were light blue then.

photo-2.jpg

When he got older, they got a little bit more yellow. They're still light, though. That's more common in the AKCs.

Picture1_zps70566799.png

He's gorgeous!! Those eyes are stunning ❤️❤️ Ya I don't know much about where Ruby came from. Im in Alberta so we do have lots of coyotes but it doesn't sound like she came from a nice place so who knows what they were bred for. I'm just happy she's with us now!

Congratulations on your new landshark! :D I'm looking forward to lots of pictures as she grows and grows.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Great Dane crossed with Greyhound. Is Ruby a Greyt Grey or perhaps Danish Hound? Whatever she is, she is adorable and she should be a terrific dog with that cross. Big, but terrific :lol Welcome!! And agree, we will need lots of pics as she grows up (and into her feet!)!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

He's gorgeous!! Those eyes are stunning ❤️❤️ Ya I don't know much about where Ruby came from. Im in Alberta so we do have lots of coyotes but it doesn't sound like she came from a nice place so who knows what they were bred for. I'm just happy she's with us now!

Interesting! She might be a CKC. Either way, I'm glad she ended up with you. Have fun, and take lots of pictures! They grow up too quick!

Lucky pup to have found you. She is lovely. Enjoy her. Keep sending lots of photos.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb