How To Discourage Jumping

Guest CleverJason

Guest CleverJason

I like to get my dog riled up and excited when it's time to do something he likes - dinner, wake ups, walks, etc - because he's so lazy most of the time. Unfortunately, he's recently started jumping at me, and has occasionally gotten me pretty hard with his claws. Is there a good way to discourage jumping when he's excited? Or do I just need to take it down a notch when riling him up? Thanks for any advice.

Take it down a notch ;) Also, train the behavior you want and ignore the behavior you don't. Maybe teach him to spin instead. In the meantime, when he jumps up, turn your back to him and ignore him until he settles.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Yeah--you started it, now you have to stop it.

My dog also jumps on me--but I have not yet decided I want to make him quit entirely. When I've had enough I do as Meredith suggested and I turn my back on him and say "enough" in my stern voice.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Agree with others to turn away and ignore his jumping behavior. Dogs do what works for them. If they don't reap any reward (your attention in this case), they'll learn to stop the undesirable behavior.

Happily excited hounds who jump up want to be at their human's face height. Here, instead of allowing them to jump up, I go down to their level to reward them with attention when they're standing 4-legs-on-the-floor. Works like a charm. :)

We had success with the turning away and ignoring him when our guy was new to us and very jumpy. He's super food/attention motivated, so it was quick and painless for us to teach him to lay down and stay there or he gets no love or permission to go eat (such a rough life he leads with us *yeah right*). It's great though that your guy is so responsive to you though!

Guest daytonasmom

I have the same problem too, I like it when Daytona gets all excited about going for a walk or ride in the car, but not when he jumps on me. A stern "no" and turning my back usually works, it hasn't been an instant fix but it's working. He still gets excited and jumps around but is much better about not putting his front paws on me. He's close to 80 pounds and about my height when he stands on his back legs, so it's like being shoved really hard, not fun!

When I get home from being gone for a while, like at work all day, while greeting me he takes one front paw and puts it on my leg - almost like touching me to get my attention even though he already has it. It's so cute and cracks me up!

Diana was a jumper when she was younger (no encouragement needed, she had enough hyper of her own). I don't think there's anything wrong with getting your dogs amped up and excited. DH used to wrestle with ours, and it was a sight to behold! Rolling on the floor, play-growling, lunging.... all in good fun. But there was always a cool-down time. You can't just flip a switch and say "ok, now you're revved-up but stop because I'm done.". He's do it by getting up off the floor, funning around a bit more, toning down the levels gradually until everyone was chill. They "got" it and calmed when play-time was over, after a few times. Eventually, it got so that when he stood up they'd immediately go crash on a bed - "you're no fun now!" LOL.

Anyway, it's fine to rough-house and play (IMHO). But you've GOT to keep control. Any time something not-cool happens, end it. Immediately. If it's a jump, turn your back and end the fun. I used a high-pitched squeak, back-turn, and arm-cross when Diana jumped. It worked (eventually). You're pup will realize if you're consistent that jumping ends the fun.

Good luck - and have FUN with your dog. Not all greys are cool, calm and classy ALL the time!